Babies: 9 - 12 Months

LO Turning 1, Transition to Milk

My LO is turning 1 this weekend and I'm not sure the best way to transition from formula to milk.  His current food/bottle schedule is:

6 - Wake up, 4 oz bottle

6:30 - Cheerios before heading to daycare

8:30 - Breakfast - 4-6 oz fruit or yogurt, cheerios

8:45 - 4 oz bottle

11:30 - Lunch 4-6 oz veggie, cheese or other small finger food

12 - 4 oz bottle

3 - Snack - 4-5 oz fruit or veggie, cheese or other small finger food

3:30 - 4 oz bottle

6 - Dinner - 6-8 oz veggie/fruit/protein, cheese or other small finger food

7:30 - 8 oz bottle before bed

Any suggestions on how to transition to milk and/or how to transition away from so many bottles?  LO used to eat a ton of different foods and lots of texture.  For the past two weeks he won't touch any of it...only eats purees.  Help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: LO Turning 1, Transition to Milk

• I'm a FTM and pretty clueless, but this is what we did.

We eliminated the lunchtime bottle first.  Instead she would get a sippy cup with formula.  

A couple weeks later we eliminated the late afternoon bottle and gave her a sippy and snacks instead.  

Our LO just turned a year old and she has a morning and nightime bottle with 1/2 formula and 1/2 whole milk.  

We plan on eliminating the morning bottle this week.

Will you LO take the sippy cup?  I know solids are confusing, our LO went through phases of not liking anything...but eventually she went back to eating everything. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Feed more solids and start eliminating the daytime bottles one at a time (maybe for 3-4 days and see how he does.  You can go longer or shorter if needed).  And substitute bottles with a snack (fruit, puffs, etc) and a sippy.  We aren't there yet, but my plan is to give her a sippy with WCM and a snack 2x/day after her naps and then give her a sippy of water with her meal 3x/day.  Plus leave a sippy of water in her reach all day so she can drink when she wants.  I just keep feeding her solids until she doesn't want anymore and starts throwing it on the floor :)  They say 24-32oz of WCM is the max, but that it doesn't have to completely replace BM/F.  It is mostly just for the calcium, which LO can get from cheese, yogurt, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • CHI-06CHI-06 member
    I would start by replacing the 12:00 bottle with a sippy cup of WCM (or mix w/ half formula).  Then maybe a week later replace the 3:30 bottle with a sippy along with snack time.  Then the 8:45 bottle goes away and sippy added with breakfast.  Drop the morning and bedtime last. 
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"