Babies: 9 - 12 Months

To share a first birthday or not to share...

Last post for me I promise :) 

My sister and I had our Ds's 5 days apart. We are coming up on their one year birthday's and have been tossing around the idea of combining the parties.

My question for you is would you share your LO's 1st birthday? Or would you want it separate?

We plan on having two cakes and singing happy birthday twice for each LO if we did decide to share this day. Let me know your thoughts... thank you in advance! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: To share a first birthday or not to share...

• Nope.  For 2 reasons.

1. I know that they don't remember shiit but I'll remember and it matters to me.

2. I love party planning so two cooks in the kitchen would be too much for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would. They aren't going to remember. One big party on one day is better (and less exhausting) than two smaller parties on two different days. Plus you would have a bigger budget, so maybe you could splurge on something fun since the cost would be shared?

As long as your style are similar and you have the same kind of party in mind, I think it would be great.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Personally for me, I wouldn't.  I know your little one won't remember, but like the PP said I will.  I've been looking forward to planning Kendall's party and I want her to have her own.  Now, in the same breath I would be perfectly happy attending a combined party assuming I knew both the guests of honor.  It could be a little awkward if someone only knew of the the birthday kids.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Why not combine them? You'd be inviting mostly the same people to both, and I'm sure they'd love to have a weekend day to themselves rather than going to 2 separate first birthdays. It will be less work for both of you to share. And it's not like either of your daughters are old enough to want to be a "queen for a day." They might have fun smashing cake and "talking" together. Not to mention the cute video that will make.
  • I would combine the parties. My cousin and I are 11 days apart and our parents did a joint birthday for us. All the same people were invited so why not! Also I now love to look at those pictures and laughing. I had no hair and my cousin had a ton! We looked so funny sitting next to each other!
  • If you live in the same area, I would definitely combine them.  It would be much easier for the guests to only come to one party, and you have to think about what is easier for them.  Also, if you're combining parties, you can even make the food and desserts even better than you would already.  If I were combining with someone, for example, I would make SURE that the cake was awesome!  :) 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • I would totally do it!

Twice the love, twice the fun.

Also, since you and your sister seem to get along a shopping date for food and supplies would be a fun time!

Your guest list probably the same, so it's a nice courtesy to the guests as well..frees up another day for them.

I also don't get too worked about 1st birthdays. I know I'm in the minority, but have a beer, grab some cake and call it a day! I had shared birthday parties growing up all the time. We had a blast (more food, more people) and weall survived just fine.

• imagedragon_chica:

Nope.  For 2 reasons.

1. I know that they don't remember shiit but I'll remember and it matters to me.

2. I love party planning so two cooks in the kitchen would be too much for me.

ditto!

• It is a speciial day for your lo and should be as such. I would seperate the two this is your lo's moment to shine and not have to share the spot light no matter how young or old the child is.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD shares a birthday with her Great Grandpa. We're combining the parties.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Not only would I share the party-I wouldn't sing "Happy Birthday" twice.  That's silly, IMO.  Have 2 cakes, fine, but sing the line "Happy Birthday dear _____ and ____, Happy Birthday to you."  It doesn't make either birthday any less special.  
  • I would definitely combine them!  Sounds like even more fun to me!
  • I would at this age because they wont remember and it would be less stress for you and your sister for planning and financing. However as they get older I'd prob not stay in this habit, I shared my birthday with my cousin my whole life we were one day apart and as I got older it wasn't fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesharksfan:
    Not only would I share the party-I wouldn't sing "Happy Birthday" twice.  That's silly, IMO.  Have 2 cakes, fine, but sing the line "Happy Birthday dear _____ and ____, Happy Birthday to you."  It doesn't make either birthday any less special.  

I disagree with this. I shared a birthday with my grandma and I always LOVED that everyone sang once for me, and once for her. It made me feel special that my mom had everyone take the time to single me out (especially since the party was joint). Why wouldn't you take 2 minutes to sing a song for one individual when they are already sharing an entire party?

OP, I guess it depends on if your family lives in town or out of town. If they all live in the same town, it isn't a big deal for them to spend 2 hours at each kid's party. In that case, I would pick the two saturdays closest to the bday, and allow your sis to have one saturday, and you have the other. Parties for lo's only last a few hours anyway because they get so tired, so I don't see a problem in having their own day.

If family lives out of town, then I'd combine it. It doesn't seem fair to the grandparents to have to drive so far for two separate events. Plus, you could probably split the costs of everything and therefore upgrade- you could afford some catering this way (so you don't both get frustrated in the kitchen), maybe a bouncy house, etc.

My daughter shares a bday with one of my best friend's sons. We both actually delivered in the same hospital down the hall from each other! We both decided to have separate "family" parties, but combine a "friends" party (since we share the same friends.) We didn't want our friends to have to pick whose party to attend, drive back and forth, etc. We rented out an indoor playground and sang happy bday twice. It was fun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"