Single Parents

Random thought. WWYD

I've thought about this before but a post on the WM board just now got me really thinking about it. DS has my last name so if I ever get married again/ have kids with my future husband what would I do about last names? I probably wouldn't want to change DS's name. I guess I could hyphenate and then my younger kids would just have DH's last name. But what if I married someone who had a long/ wierd last name. I have a spanish last name that is already kind of long/ wierd so hyphenating might be a pain. But I wouldn't want to not change my name if I got married. Haha like I said, random thinking. Just a little poll I guess of y'alls thoughts :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Random thought. WWYD

• I'm a little different. If I marry, I'm keeping my last name. So, it's a null point for me. My cousin was 2 when her father died, and 6 when my aunt remarried. The kept her father's last name legally, but at school and for all intents and purposes, she used her step father's. At 18, she legally changed it, and he adopted her. (They waited until 18 for Social Security purposes)
  • imagebexram:
    I've thought about this before but a post on the WM board just now got me really thinking about it. DS has my last name so if I ever get married again/ have kids with my future husband what would I do about last names? I probably wouldn't want to change DS's name. I guess I could hyphenate and then my younger kids would just have DH's last name. But what if I married someone who had a long/ wierd last name. I have a spanish last name that is already kind of long/ wierd so hyphenating might be a pain. But I wouldn't want to not change my name if I got married. Haha like I said, random thinking. Just a little poll I guess of y'alls thoughts :)

My mom got remarried when I was five. From birth until I was about eleven I had my birth father's name, despite him never being in the picture. When I was eleven they applied to have my last name changed to my stepfather's last name and he legally adopted me. It's a pretty easy-breezy procedure as long as BD signs over parental rights, I believe. Anyway, good luck with your decision! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Ok, ignore that last part, pregnancy brain. But I would change it to my new husband's last name if he's the man raising my child, regardless of the BD.
  • DS has BD's last name, I changed mine back to my maiden name when we got divorced. I don't like that DS and I have different last names but in the end it's just a name. My connection with DS has nothing to do with our last names. If I ever get married again I will take my future H's name and our hypothetical children will have future H's name also.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I want to change DD's last name but have to get ExH's rights terminated first which is something I will pursue once child support serves him with papers for not paying.

My FI wants to adopt DD and we would give her his last name. She calls him "daddy" anyway and hasn't seen her bio-dad since January. I'm pretty sure she won't remember him being so young.

TTC#2 with my hero, my inspiration, my United States Marine! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageSemperFiPurpleHeart:

I want to change DD's last name but have to get ExH's rights terminated first which is something I will pursue once child support serves him with papers for not paying.

My FI wants to adopt DD and we would give her his last name. She calls him "daddy" anyway and hasn't seen her bio-dad since January. I'm pretty sure she won't remember him being so young.

Are you sure he won't come back? How long does a BD have to be absent to terminate his rights? Might be different for each state? I ask because BD is expecting a new baby very soon with his GF and I suspect that he will disappear after that. I'm hoping for DS's sake that he doesn't, but it is very possible.

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"