Special Needs
Options

Barium swallow

We went to the GI yesterday, and because DD still doesn't want to really eat any foods, a barium swallow was ordered.  We go next week.  DH wants to cancel, because he thinks she will get better on her own.  What to do?  I am worried about exposing her to more radiation (she had a chest X ray when she was 4 weeks old, due to a fever, so they ran a full sepsis workup to ensure it wasn't anything more serious than a virus) and they say that you need to push fluids on the baby once they are done with the barium, because it tends to constipate.  Well, since she is not drinking a ton of BM again (has a cold, maybe the flu and I think is teething- all at once!) I am also worried about putting that in her.  Has anyone had one done on their LO, and what are the pros and cons?  I heard them from the doc, think I need to hear from my peeps.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Barium swallow

• Options

DS had one and it was easy and fast.  (I assume you're talking about a VFSS?  He's also had the longer reflux study...in both cases he swallowed barium).  He didn't have any ill effects whatsoever (no constipation, etc.). 

IMO, it can't hurt and will only help.  Our VFSS was ordered by DS's pulmonologist due to a chronic cough, and I wanted to cancel the test because by the time the scheduled test date came, the cough was gone (they were treating the cough but it was not going away).  The pulmonologist insisted that we go through with the test, and I'm glad we did, because DS was diagnosed with oropharyngeal dysphagia.  Now that we have the information, we can treat it properly, and DS is doing great.

After the diagnosis, DS met with a team of 2 speech pathologists and a nutritionist.  The consultation was VERY helpful.  They evaluated DS's diet, chewing, swallowing, etc.  But they needed the results of the swallow study to know what was going on so they could help him.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Do it.  It is a quick, painless study that shows how you child is swallowing.  We discovered that our child struggled to eat because she was silently aspirating (no coughing, gagging, etc).  Eating was literally causing damage to her lungs.  

If there is a problem with your child's swallow, don't you want to know it so you can help her?  Tell your DH to put his pride aside for the sake of helping his child.  He'll feel horrible if avoiding a simple test prolonged or created a significant problem for his child. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dd had one when she was about 4 months.  It is a really easy test.  They put barium in her bottle and do an xray.  The biggest problem was she did not want to take the barium.  I would suggest bringing her own bottle or sippy cup.  We are having an upper GI tomorrow and I am assuming it is about the same thing.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

DS2 has had 2 OPM swallow studies (oralpharangeal motility). The first was with food and drink. The barium is either a powder they mix with fluids or a thicker solution they mix or put on the food. You (or the SLP if your child will allow it) will feed/give your child the food or drink while sitting in front of an X-ray machine. They will videotape the chewing and swallowing function of your child. The 2nd was more about liquid (specifically checking to see if there was aspiration for open cup drinking) but I brought food to make him thirsty.  Both tests were pretty easy and fast but DS2 only allowed me to feed him/give him his sippy and cup. I brought the silverware he was used to being fed from and his own sippy (for the 2nd I had a sippy, a therapeutic glass, a straw cup, and an open cup).  

I do not recall any side effects from either study and I would do it again without hesitation if it was felt an additional study was done (I don't foresee that happening though). The biggest pro is finding out if there are potential issues and for me that is something I wanted to know for feeding and drinking purposes.

ETA: DS2 was just over 1.5 and 2.5yr old when they were done.

• Options

As PP said definitely bring an empty bottle that she normally eats out of..

DS had one at 6/8 weeks old (can't remember).  It really is easy.  They put him in a tomato seat and I held the bottle up and he drank while they x-rayed.

Since he was already taking thin liquids they started with thin barium (they flavored it fruit punch I believe).  Ours probably lasted 2 minutes because he was swallowing fine.  I asked why he coughed and gagged and the SLP said it was probably the reflux and he was trying to reswallow and swallow what was coming in at the same time.  

I did not hesitate to do it for a moment.  My DS had already had a CT scan, MRI's and multiple X-rays at that point.  Yes, radiation is a concern but I think the benefits outweigh the risk.  If it shows that she does have difficult swallow or she's aspirating there are ways to help her.  If you just keep forcing food/liquid on her and there really is a problem you could end up doing a lot of long term damage that is far worse than a quick dose of radiation. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

Both girls have had an upper GI with barium.  It was no big deal and they both tend to be really really constipated and neither were on meds for it at the times they had it and were fine afterwards.  I think they had some white poop but that's about it.

They turn down the level of radiation for peds and you can even ask them to give you the total amount of radiation they received at the end and keep track of it yourself.  

I know a chest xray for a human is less than X amount of time in the sun.  Call the radiology dept and tell them to talk to you about the amount she will be exposed too.  

I'm not going to say don't worry!  It's just a little radiation!  But both girls have been exposed to A LOT more radiation than just 1 xray + the Gi study.

I think you should do it and let us know what it says, of course. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

Thank you so much everyone!  I had a talk with DH last night, and explained the pros again, and had him actually watch DD at dinner, to show him that she is putting stuff TOWARDS her mouth, but not actually eating.  I think he just assumed that since it was around her mouth, she was gobbling it down.  Since I am the one who normally feeds her, I see that she loves playing with it, and even getting it near her mouth, but when it comes to swallowing it she is not doing it.  I am *hoping* it is as simple as reflux, and she has just learned that swallowing food is bad/hurts. 

I will let you guys know after Monday!

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"