Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Swim lessons, anyone?

I've been taking my DD to swim lessons the past week, and we both LOVE it!  I was worried it would be scary for her, but I am glad we are doing it.  She has no issue going under, and it is the only thing worth going out in this heat. Anyone else out there starting their LO's early in swim lessons?  What has your experience been?

imageimage
Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

Re: Swim lessons, anyone?

• We were supposed tobstart last night, but lessons were cancelled due to inclement weather.  So our first lesson will be tomorrow.  Can't wait!!!
  • We're set to start this Sunday. I'm a little nervous though becuase DD was so scared of the ocean went we went on our annual beach vacation. She loves bathtime though. I'm hoping the pool will just be a big bath tub for her!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I want to but with two kids under 3 it would have to be both my DH and I in the water.  That meant that we were limited to Saturday classes.  We had a tough time finding one that worked around naps and was a reasonable price for two kids.  It got too frustrating and DH started to be unwilling to pay for DS to take lessons at a young age when all they do is splash around, kick their legs, and maybe blow bubbles..  DD has been taking lessons since 6 months but I understand his sentiment.  We're aiming to have DS start next summer and if DD isn't too "stranger danger" she'll go into the 3's class, which is on her own.  Yikes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is in them and he loves it :) Daddy and I switch every other week so we can both have a great bonding session with our little guy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're almost finished Sad DS loves them, but I'm not sure if I'll splurge on another session. They have an "advanced parent aid" class where we go, but I think it would be better when DS is a little older.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I joined a place that accepts memberships at 6months and started taking LO when we joined. I did tues/thurs/sat for about1.5 months and then enrolled her in parent tot lessons that are Sat mornings. She is the youngest one in the class and the most advanced. My LO floats on her back for a few seconds before she'll drop down and all the other kids haven't made it off the parent's shoulder. I think it is their first time in the water and they are closer to 2yr.

We haven't finished the class yet but I might not sign her back up. When we do jumps off of the wall the teacher isn't instructing us to turn the child around under the water and push them back to the wall. Or when we do our back floats, we aren't told to start on the front and flip the child around to the back. They are certified red cross teachers but I did my own research and everything I read pretty much says to start and stay consistent.

I was swimming unassisted before 2 years of age. I remember still wearing a diaper and jumping off of diving boards. The earlier the better IMO. Have you looked at any of the IRS videos?

• My BIL is an ISR instructor, so my niece and nephew swam really early. I'm land locked here, no lakes and nobody has pools so haven't made much of an effort. I think it's a great idea! We do splash parks here and the swimming pool on vacation. Glad you all are enjoying yourselves!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• We're starting at the end of the month.  Should be fun since my guy loves the pool!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We started last weekend and C loved it.  We have some friends who's little one has been going since she turned 3 months old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"