Preemies
Options

Giving egg whites to my preemie at 8mos, 6mos adj.

My son was born at 30 weeks due to HELLP. He is 8 months, 6mos adjusted and today at his NICU follow-up, the neo told us to start upping his caloric intake. She mentioned things like supplementing with Enfacare & Neosure but also giving him meats & proteins as well as egg whites.

I know that you are supposed to wait until at least a year to introduce eggs. Has this suggestion been given to anyone else?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Giving egg whites to my preemie at 8mos, 6mos adj.

• Options

Really? a year? I do everything wrong. I've never heard that - only honey for a year, I thought, though I stick with agave if anything.

I gave him scrambled eggs at 8ish mo adj - we did BLW and he was born at 30, FWIW. Pedi said it was fine. 

• Options
    imageSweetPeaKate:

My son was born at 30 weeks due to HELLP. He is 8 months, 6mos adjusted and today at his NICU follow-up, the neo told us to start upping his caloric intake. She mentioned things like supplementing with Enfacare & Neosure but also giving him meats & proteins as well as egg whites.

I know that you are supposed to wait until at least a year to introduce eggs. Has this suggestion been given to anyone else?

Infants can easily digest egg yolks, but NOT egg whites.  Send me an address so I can go smack that neo.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It's a possibility, but I'm probably going to check with my pedi when we go for our next visit. Until then we are just going to try to keep working on bottles with the little man.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"