Military Families
Options

PCS Process (i need a better understanding)

We received a confirmation about our travel / moving to Georgia. It says they will be here to pack on August 10th and moving on August 15th. What does this really mean? My husband is in Georgia already and I am still working. Do I need to take off that whole week? I wanted to resign August 31st.

Also, we are not physically moving (me and my toddler) until August 24th because my oldest daughter has to report to college on August 23rd. So we will go over a week with a disfunctional house.

Help me understand this process? I should pack away 2 weeks worth of clothes and sleep on an air mattress? This is crazy!

Re: PCS Process (i need a better understanding)

• Options

You should call your mover to clarify, but likely they will come on Aug 10 and begin packing, then start moving your stuff out on Aug 15. Depending on how long it takes to pack, then you'd have to take off some days, though the 10th is a Friday. How long did they say it would take to pack? I've only had 1 PCS and we  had a 1BR apt at the time, so it was a one day pack job-- they packed our apt and the truck the same day. I did have to be there for the packing and also for the day they delivered our shipment.

It took forever for our stuff to arrive, and we were only moving 6 hours away. We stayed one night in a hotel, then just slept in our empty house. It took 10 days for our stuff to arrive. They have a specified block of time when they're allowed to deliver your shipment, so I'd check on that too.

The best people to call are the moving ppl. Did they come over already? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You might want to clarify with the movers.  It's possible that they are coming to survey your stuff on the 10th, then pack monday & tuesday, then move you on the 15th.  Someone will want to be with them at all times.  Tell them to pack one room at a time, so you can keep an eye on them.  Also, make sure they are very specific when they list what is in the boxes.  Don't allow them to write miscellaneous.  We've had stuff stolen and broken, so it's better to be overly cautious IMO.  

Make sure you keep separate the things that you'll need before you actually leave the house.  I spent a week in a house with next to nothing with a toddler and a one week old, so it can be done.  You could choose to pay for a hotel, if you think you won't have enough amenities. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm assuming your husband set up the transportation request?  If so, ask him what dates he asked to be moved.  You can always ask to have the dates changed, although during the summer it is quite limited on what is available so it might not be possible but worth an ask anyway. 

As others have said, call the moving company and ask them what days they actually plan to be at your home.  It is possible they have three days of packing scheduled if you estimated your weight to be large so they may start packing on Friday and then return on Monday & Tuesday. 

In that case, I would insist they start in rooms that you don't need to use over the weekend.  And then insist the mattresses get packed on the very last day. 

But yeah, you'll either have to pay out of pocket for a hotel for those days after they pack up your stuff or live on an air mattress.  So it's worth a request to have the dates changed for your pack out.  

• Options

They may be putting it in storage on the 10th then actually begin driving towards your new PDS the 15th. But like what was mentioned earlier, contact the movers directly. If you do't have their number, your transportation office should be able to get that for you.

What branch are you in? If you're in the Coast Guard, you may be eligible for reimbursement for the hotels through the Temporary Lodging Expense. It may be the same in other branches, and I would definatlely check that possibility out. If you are in the CG send me a message and I'll see what I can do to find out how to hook you guys up. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"