December 2010 Moms
Options

WWYD? Car Seat Related.

A little backstory.  We are moving halfway across the country.  It isn't prudent for us to keep our big car that we currently haul the kids in, so we are selling it.  The car we are keeping is a 2 door Honda Civic.  DD already rides forward, but DS is still backward.  If we put his seat in the Civic backward there is no room for anyone in the front passenger seat.  Since it will be our only car to drive to Texas (from N. Cal) and for the first while that we are there, we need to be able to all fit in the car.  Should I just turn him around?  FWIW he weighs 30 lbs...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: WWYD? Car Seat Related.

• Options
    I would turn him around. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Labor Buddy to chulita425!
  • Options
    I would probably keep the bigger car that we all fit comfortably in that as the kids grow will be more use to us long term and leave DS RFing until 2.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    Can you put him in the center?  DS is RFing in a Britax Blvd (huge!) in my Civic in the center.  You have to use the seatbelt, at least in mine (2011), but it works.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedesertlady86:
    I would turn him around. 

This

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageTripMomma:
    I would probably keep the bigger car that we all fit comfortably in that as the kids grow will be more use to us long term and leave DS RFing until 2.

Financially we can't keep the bigger car.  I hate to get rid of it but keeping it isn't an option. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageTripMomma:
    Sorry, but this too.  IMHO, a 2-door car with 2 kids in carseats would NOT be a viable option.  More than just this trip would be a PIA. 
  • Options

imagelrn327:
    Can you put him in the center?  DS is RFing in a Britax Blvd (huge!) in my Civic in the center.  You have to use the seatbelt, at least in mine (2011), but it works.

I would totally do this, but not sure if it would fit crammed next to DD's.  Worth a shot though. 

• Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    imageGidgetwho:

imagelrn327:

I would totally do this, but not sure if it would fit crammed next to DD's.  Worth a shot though. 

Even though it seems crazy to buy a new seat, you could always pick up a slimmer, inexpensive seat that might fit better.  We're going to get a Cosco Scenara for travel and grandparents.  It's pretty narrow and $30-$40 at Walmart.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCarlaBrett:

imagedesertlady86:
    I would turn him around. 

This

agreed.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagedee12807:
    imageCarlaBrett:

imagedesertlady86:
    I would turn him around. 

This

agreed.

I would turn him around also. 

We just turned DS around a few weeks ago in preparation for getting the infant carrier in the back of the car again. We can't fit two car seats RF in our car and still have room for both of us in the front seat. And it didn't make any financial sense to either buy a new car and/or new car seat when DS would have just been FF in 4 months anyway.

• Options

We are about to have a similar issue with baby #2 coming.  I don't think I can fit two convertible seats rear-facing in my tiny car.  The passenger seat is already pulled forward a lot, but the driver's seat doesn't have that option since, you know, you have to drive in it.  I'm debating a smaller seat that might work better or fit in the middle or turning him around.  My kiddo is so tiny, I'd really like to leave him rear-facing though.  In your case, I don't think I would turn him around for a long drive on the highway though...scary.  I guess I would try the middle seat if I were you before deciding to turn him.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageGidgetwho:

imageTripMomma:

Financially we can't keep the bigger car.  I hate to get rid of it but keeping it isn't an option. 

Bummer. Well then my next thought would be to get two Radian's. We have 3 of the 80SL's 3 to a row in our 3rd row. They are the slimmest seats out there. Also they are a 5pt until 80 lbs...you can also RF in them until 40 lbs too. You would be able to use the seats for a long time and they would fit very well in the car.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    imageTripMomma:
    imageGidgetwho:

imageTripMomma:

Bummer. Well then my next thought would be to get two Radian's. We have 3 of the 80SL's 3 to a row in our 3rd row. They are the slimmest seats out there. Also they are a 5pt until 80 lbs...you can also RF in them until 40 lbs too. You would be able to use the seats for a long time and they would fit very well in the car.

Thanks for the advice.  You all have given me a lot to think about.  I really appreciate it. 

• Options
    imageGidgetwho:
    imageTripMomma:
    imageGidgetwho:

imageTripMomma:

Thanks for the advice.  You all have given me a lot to think about.  I really appreciate it. 

Bummer that you have to get rid of your bigger car.  Sad  In any case, I hope your cross-country trip isn't bad!
  • Options
    I would probably just turn him. But one other option you can do is take it to the police and see what they can do to install it so you have more room.
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"