VBAC
Options

C/S reasons effect ability to have VBAC?

We had an emergency c/s because DDs head wouldn't pass through my pelvis and her heartbeat dropped during each push.  I went into labor on my own and progressed just fine.  We were in l & d for about 12 hours when we started to push and it very quickly was determined it was safest for her to get her out via c/s.  She was 6lbs 15 oz, so a pretty average baby as far as I know..so I suppose my question would be, how do they determine if you are a candidate for a VBAC?  We aren't thinking about TTC yet (DD is almost 8 mos), but I am very curious what my options are for down the road.  I felt like my body failed me during our first delivery, so I'd rather not get excited about possibly being able to do a VBAC.. TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C/S reasons effect ability to have VBAC?

• Options
    I am not sure what your odds are but I have read that pushing positions can make all the difference. So, if you were only pushing on your back laying down its possible that in that position your pelivs was more narrow than if you were squatting. I have read that a squatting position can open your pelvis up to I believe 28%. There are a lot of great websites on this. A visit to the chiro can also help you to align baby and/or your pelvis to increase your chances. I have not had a VBAC but I intend to work really hard for one next time. My OB told me that my pelvis was too narrow and I would probably injure baby on the way out, so I opted for a c/s without any labor (I could kick myself for this). I hope more women have some better advice for you! Congrats on your baby =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

A big one is waiting at least a year between delivery and conceiving the next child which is "required" by most OBGYNs. To make them really happy you can wait 2 years so you know everything is healed up.

Being mobile during labor and squatting do help, not letting them induce you, and having a doula present has been shown to help (statistically it is a pretty high % but unfortunately I have forgotten it).

You can check out more info on the VBAC, ICAN, ACOG, and American Pregnancy sites. Depending on your city there might be a local ICAN chapter that you can attend to have your questions answered and meet some women that have had VBACs.

Failure to progress or fetal heart rate dropping would not eliminate you as a candidate for VBAC. You are smart to start your research now though. Smile

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What I have heard most often at ICAN meetings and in talking with birth professionals, is that the biggest factor in VBAC success is your prenatal provider.  If you have someone who is 100% supportive of VBAC and you birth in a facility that supports it, you're going to have a better chance of success regardless of the reasons for your c/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"