Georgia Babies

would you do it? work related

I quit my job in order to spend more time with the baby and now I have the opportunity to work part time.  I'd get half my salary, and need to put the babe in childcare from 12-5 daily.   My commute is about half and hour to 35 min and I would work 3 hours a day plus some work from home.  Daycare at the centers isn't going to work because they don't offer part time so I'm going to have to find someone who watches children in their home (which is another thread entirely). 

So after childcare and gas I'm bringing home less than half of the paycheck.  It's not that much to begin with and frankly I'm not sure it's worth it.  Hubby makes enough so that we have something left over at the end of each month and can still do things like go out, take vacations (though simple ones), etc.  We just have to be more frugal, so going out once a week instead of multiple times, etc. 

It's a lot of extra on my end:  having to pick up, drop off, pump, prep meals, etc.   

WWYD?   I imagine I'll get a lot of different types of responses here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: would you do it? work related

• The only benefit I would see is that, depending on your professional field, this is a stepping stone if you eventually plan to go back full time.  If there was a way that you could do 2 or 3 full days rather than 5 half days, it would be more appealing, but honestly, with travel/prep/dropoff-pickup, your 5 hour days turn into full days, plus you're still going to hit afternoon rush hour.  Unless they could work with you on the schedule of the hours, or let you telework a few days, I think this is more work than it's worth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It doesn't really sound like you want to go back. 

I think part time would be perfect but your situation sounds like a lot of extra work. I would enjoy your time home with your baby and go back full time later on.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not necessarily that I don't want to go back, it's that I worry if an extra 200 or so dollars a week is worth all of that. 

I'm not worried about going back later on because I teach math, have a great resume/references and have contacts throughout the district.  

• I was part-time for the past 2 years and absolutely LOVED it. I worked 2 1/2 days a week- my mom watched the kids one day and my husband stayed home the other day and a half. It was perfect. I wasnt making much- but I had full benefits for my family...which is really why I did it. I also loved getting out of the house for a bit and being around adults! Unfortunately, my school doesnt have any part-time slots for next year- so I am out of a job! And let me tell you- it is impossible to find a part time teaching job anywhere!!

But since you're specialized, it will be easier. After everything you have to go through, for 200- I would just stay home.

Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your only benefit is the money, then no.  Daycare drop and retrieval alone is so stressful plus you have to manage your job performance and you lose a significant amount of time with your son for not a whole lot of extra money - although $800 a month would pay for some nice "extras" like home improvements or nice wardrobe upgrades or a pretty tidy retirement fund.  However, if you want to work and love your career which to plan to return to full time then go for it.  The worst that can happen is the stress of daycare, commute, etc gets to you and you go back to SAHM.  Tightening the belt and staying home is the best thing that ever happened to my family so it would have to be a hell of a job for me to go back.
  • Roci26Roci26 member
    Honestly, I think you answered your own question. It sounds like a lot of work and money for you to work part time. It doesn't sound like it would be convenient for you right now. Good luck making your decision! personally I would just enjoy being at home right now and maybe later on a better opportunity would come your way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As a full time working mom, I really don't see daycare drop off/pick up as being inconvenient.  I actually enjoy it--I love seeing how happy she is to be at school and how happy she is when she sees me at the end of the day. I think DD greatly benefits from being at her school and she loves it.  However, I understand that it seems like a daunting prospect before you start actually doing it. I had a lot of apprehension about it and the length of my day/commute but once I got into a routine with it it has worked out well. You could always take the extra money and put it directly into a college fund. 

Again, this is a working mom's perspective.  In the end, you need to go with your gut. 

• I agree w/ the pp about daycare not being a drawback.  For my kids- its ESSENTIAL.  They need that structure and interaction and they thrive in that environment.  Of course, I've been a FT working mom for 4 years and hindsite is 20/20.  Initially, it felt completely unnatural to leave them there.  But now, I worry that if I SAH, they wouldn't get that benefit.  I have ZERO regrets on that front. 

Anyways, I'm about to move into a Part Time status as well.  3 days in the office (possibly teleworking 1 of those days).  For me, going in the office 5 days would not be worth it.  We live an hour away from work so that would just be silly.  We've been lucky enough to find a daycare that would work with us on the part time thing.  In this economy- you'll be surprised how many will now consider it, so you may want to call around. 

Its been months of planning and talking, and thinking it over but when I finally told my bosses and made it official, I immediately felt such a weight lifted off my shoulders.  I have loved working at times and have also desperately wished I was at home at other times.  I don't think I have ever felt 100% content with my working situation since having kids.  Most recently, I passed up on a promotion just because I knew I couldn't give it the attention it deserved.  That was hard to swallow but ultimately, I feel like this will ultimately be the best balance for me and the kids and I'm looking forward to it!  But it will definitely come with some serious cutbacks in our comfort level.  I'm most worried about the toll that will take on my husband as he will become the primary breadwinner (we've always shared that load equally).  Anyway, I know there is a lot to consider- much more than just money.  I can totally sympathize with your dilema.

• I went from being a working full time mom to a SAHM about a month ago.  My firm did offer me part time, but we could never see eye to eye on that.  Plus, I would be making much less money and would still have to find childcare for my boys.  Unfortunately, I cannot count on my mom or inlaws to watch my boys, nor do I have a close by friend or family member available, so my only option is paying a daycare and in the end it just wasn't worth it financially.  So far, I'm happy with my decision of solely being a SAHM.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"