Military Families
Options

stepchild under my tricare ?

What type of custody does my fiance need to have for his son to be covered under my tricare when we get married?
I know it's up to PSD if I can add him to my page 2, but I want to know what we can do to make sure he'll be covered.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: stepchild under my tricare ?

• Options

You need to talk to TRICARE.  But my understanding is that as long as you are married to their father, they can be covered. But f they have ANY other healthcare, TRICARE must be (by federal law) secondary payer.  

And even if you don't know about the other insurance, TRICARE will come back at you for recoup.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    Custody doesn't matter as long as they are his and y'all are married.  Like Illumine said, if they have any other insurance, Tricare has to be listed as the secondary insurance.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was actually going to ask the same thing. I would love to have my stepdaughter on TRICARE as well, but her mom wants to cancel the insurance she is already on and put her solely on TRICARE. I guess that wont be an option!
  • Options

imagerowanleaves:
    I was actually going to ask the same thing. I would love to have my stepdaughter on TRICARE as well, but her mom wants to cancel the insurance she is already on and put her solely on TRICARE. I guess that wont be an option!

It does suck if the Active Duty Service Member cannot use TRICARE for their stepchildren, but if the stepchild doesnt reside with the ADSM, they really arent dependents.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I talked to Tricare yesterday, and I was told that we can enroll my stepdaughter without any issues, even though she doesnt live with us, and that if we wanted to cancel her other insurance and have Tricare be her primary insurance, we could. All I need is her original docs and I can get her on it.
  • Options

imagerowanleaves:
    I talked to Tricare yesterday, and I was told that we can enroll my stepdaughter without any issues, even though she doesnt live with us, and that if we wanted to cancel her other insurance and have Tricare be her primary insurance, we could. All I need is her original docs and I can get her on it.

That is great news! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    as long as you are married there is no legal custody problem. As long as he is biologically your husbands he can be added immediately... My husband added my oldest son with no problem when we got married
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"