Georgia Babies

PT advise

DD is just not interested at all on using the potty. I'm not pushing it too much since here in the next month her entire world is about to change with the baby coming. What tequines have worked for you. I'm just at a loss right now. I mention the potty and she flips out crying out for her diapers and only wants to use the potty as a stool so she can stand and wash her hands/teeth.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PT advise

• My advice is to drop it completely.  Don't even bring it up until well after the new baby is born and she's had time to adjust to that.  You just don't know how long it could take her to master it and you may not be able to give her all the support she needs with a newborn in the house.  Listen, I started PT Gavin 6 mos before Sophie was born.  Thought that would be PLENTY of time.  He finally got it down about a month before she was born and then she was born and he got sick and it all went out the window.  We had to start over completely.  So really, I know its hard... I wanted that crossed off our to-do list SO BAD but honestly, in hindsight, having 2 in diapers for a few months would have been so much easier than the hell we went through with PT for 9 mos!  If she's not ready, just turn your attention elsewhere and wait for her.  It sounds like its a control issue for her right now so the more you push it, the more she will resist.  

• care99care99 member
    I would also drop it.  My youngest will be 3 next month and we just started PT'ing last week.  He had no interest in it prior to this.  With a new baby, I would definitely wait until she shows interest.  You don't want to force it and make going to the potty a negative experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally agree. I would just stop it right now. There is no reason to push it until later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With Bailey, we mentioned it every now and then but never pushed him. We had big boy underwear in his pj draw and every now and then he'd pull them out to ask about them. But that was it.  He then decided back in May (a month before he turned 3 and before ds3 came along) he wanted to wear big boy underwear one morning and hasn't been in a diaper since. We've had some issues with poop but the peeing has been easy. I would wait until she's 100% ready and not pus hit.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Agree with everyone else.  I decided to wait until after Christmas to start PTing, unless she shows a strong interest before then.  While having 2 in diapers is expensive, I can only imagine that it's a lot easier than having a newborn and a newly PT'd toddler.  We have the potty in our bathroom and M likes to sit on it and we talk about it every now and then.  But mostly what I'm doing now is just trying to get her conscious of her bodily functions.  When I change her diaper, I ask her what's in there, pee or poop, and we talk A LOT about it.  It's a hot topic around our house right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for posting this.  I've been telling myself that I wasn't going to worry about it until well after Baby #2 arrived and reading the responses make me feel so much better about my decision :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"