Success after IF

Success after IF with donor egg??

Hello ladies--I am new to this board and kind of re-introducing myself to the bump altogether after not having posted for a while...

This morning my husband and I made the decision to proceed with donor eggs for our next IVF.  Needless to say, the emotions are overwhelming but my eggs (poor quality) have only resulted in one pregnancy that had to be terminated at 17 weeks,  two others that were chemical pregnancies, and only negative betas in between. At this point using donor eggs is the step we want to take next.  I didn't see a board specifically addressing donor egg users but it was suggested on TTTC that possibly someone here has had their success from using a donor egg so I am posting here hoping that is the case...

2009: 1st IVF began 12/29, cancelled due to OHSS; 1st full IVF began 2/10 ER 2/27 ET 3/4 BFN 3/13; IVF #2 began 5/23 ER 6/4 ET 6/9 BFP 6/18 Lost our baby on 9/12. 2010: IVF #3 (w/PGD) began 2/1 ER: 2/15 ET: 2/20 BFN 3/1; Took a break for hernia surgery and recovery; IVF #4 (w/PGD) began 6/30 ER 7/13 ET 7/18 BFN 7/27; IVF #5 began 10/23 ER 11/5 ET 11/10 Low Pos 11/19 BFN 11/22; Took a break: got a 2nd opinion,changed insurance,chose a new RE,and recharged emotionally. 2011: "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 6/4, 6/6, and 6/7 BFN on 6/21. "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 7/3 & 7/5 BFN on 7/19. "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 7/30, 8/1 & 8/2...the journey continues into 2012 with three more IVFs and 6 more IUIs...now looking at IVF with donor egg Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Success after IF with donor egg??

• There are quite a few of us that have had success using an egg donor.  Hopefully they chime in.  There's a weekly donor egg/donor embryo check in on Tuesdays. 

I'm so sorry for your losses.  I hope you have success using an egg donor.  My 5 month old son is the result of using an egg donor. 

We didn't come to that decision lightly.  I was only 29 at the time.   We had numerous failed IUIs and IVFs with my own eggs, including 4 miscarriages.   I also had poor fert rates and poor responses to ovarian-stimulating drugs during subsequent IVFs.  They canceled one of my IVF cycles and converted to an IUI for another. RE then said our best chance and getting and staying pg was using an egg donor.  All of my bloodwork never showed any issues with diminished ovarian response.  RE thought I have some sort of autoimmune ovarian failure because I have 2 other autoimmune issues. So we took a year off from all IF treatments and then decided we would go the DE route.  I wanted the chance to experience a pg. 

We were fortunate to get pg on our 1st DE cycle last June.  We are also very fortunate to have 16 frozen embryos leftover from that cycle.  DH and I often forget that DS has no genetic link to me.  It's not something that I honestly think about much.  He is my son and I grew him in my womb.  While my donor didn't really look like me, we often hear that DS looks like me.  :)  We will tell DS when he's old enough to understand.  We've chosen not to keep that info from him.  Close friends and family know we used an egg donor. 

If you haven't already read this, then read "Having Your Baby Through Egg Donation."  That was super helpful to DH and me before beginning the process.  Also, there's a private DE/DS group on FB for the IF, PAIF and SAIF boards.  If you friend me on FB, then I can add you to the group.  Lots of luck to you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for your response...I also posted on Infertility Veterans and got some great info there as well, including about the Tuesday Check in that you mentioned...I already feel better now that I know there is such great support for me here!! 
    2009: 1st IVF began 12/29, cancelled due to OHSS; 1st full IVF began 2/10 ER 2/27 ET 3/4 BFN 3/13; IVF #2 began 5/23 ER 6/4 ET 6/9 BFP 6/18 Lost our baby on 9/12. 2010: IVF #3 (w/PGD) began 2/1 ER: 2/15 ET: 2/20 BFN 3/1; Took a break for hernia surgery and recovery; IVF #4 (w/PGD) began 6/30 ER 7/13 ET 7/18 BFN 7/27; IVF #5 began 10/23 ER 11/5 ET 11/10 Low Pos 11/19 BFN 11/22; Took a break: got a 2nd opinion,changed insurance,chose a new RE,and recharged emotionally. 2011: "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 6/4, 6/6, and 6/7 BFN on 6/21. "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 7/3 & 7/5 BFN on 7/19. "Back-to-Back" IUIs on 7/30, 8/1 & 8/2...the journey continues into 2012 with three more IVFs and 6 more IUIs...now looking at IVF with donor egg Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • JM1977JM1977 member

Hi and welcome!

I know this isn't an easy place to come to in your IF journey. It took us a lot of soul-searching to feel like DE was the right path for us. It was truly heart-wrenching at times. Our cycles with my own eggs were just abysmal, so it seemed to make sense logically to move on to DE, but it took a while for us to get there emotionally. We had a great therapist who specialized in IF, and that was really helpful.

Once I got pregnant with our baby, the fact that we had used DE didn't seem to matter very much. Once in a while I still have pangs of sadness about the loss of the genetic connection, but really it isn't much of an issue. She's our daughter just like in any other family. I can't imagine having any other baby than her. It really has been a wonderful experience for us.

I'm so, so sorry for your losses, and I truly wish you the best moving forward! 

TTC with DOR, low morphology, fertilization issues
    IVF#1 Oct 2009 (CCRM) - BFN
    IVF#2 March 2010 - Poor response/cancelled
    DE IVF#1 Aug 2010 - BFN
    DE IVF#2 Dec 2010 - Transferred 1, 2 frozen - BFP!
    TTC#2 FET Jan 2013 - Transferred 1 - BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My best friend had 4 miscarriages after 4 IVF's.  She said it took her a long time to make the decision to use DE's and she had to have a mourning period to mourn the loss of a genetic connection to her baby.  Once she had mourned, she was ready to move forward.  She now has a 2 year old baby boy and I've never seen a more loving mother.  He looks like her dh but it's amazing how much he acts like her!

As a child of an alcoholic, absentee mom, let me tell you, biology is only a small part of what it means to be a mom.  Good luck on your DE IVF!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• As others have said, I mourned the loss of a genetic connection when we decided to use donor eggs. However, the opportunity to experience a pregnancy was worth it.

We were required to meet with a social worker prior to being admitted to the Donor Egg program at our RE. It was actually a really good visit. She gave us good resources for when we're ready to tell our child(ren) how they were conceived, how to handle questions from family, etc.

Good luck to you!

Failed IUI May 2010. Successful IVF w/ DE May 2011, miscarriage July 2011. Failed IVF w/ DE FET Nov 2011. Failed IVF w/ DE Feb 2012. Successful IVF w/ DE Apr 2012, EDD Jan 9, 2013 DD born Dec 18, 2012
  • Another DE success here. I had a natural mc and then did 4 IVFs with my own eggs. During my last cycle I was researching DE but still had a breakdown when my RE brought them up during the WTF for my last cycle.  It took me a few more months to come to terms to try them. 

Our clinics don't have in-house pools so we had to use an outside agency which was its own roller coaster ride.  Now that he is here, I know we went through everything so we would have this little boy 

I am happy to answer ANY questions so please don't hesitate to ask. Join the check-in too!!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DE success here also. I had 2 mc's using my own eggs (IVF) and just had poor egg quality. For us DE was a no brainer. We knew that this was the way to go, to have our family and for me to carry and give birth. My dd looks exactly like my husband and there has not been 1 minute where I didn't think of her as 100% mine.

I never grieved for the loss of a genetic conncetion. In my mind I know plenty of people who have kids that look nothing like them. I also believe that your child develops certain charatcter traits just by being raised by you.  I know how greatful I am that we had the chance to have a family and I am reminded of that every time I look at my baby girl.

• Hello! I'm a newby.  I was diagnosed with premature menopause 3 years ago and after multiple meetings with our fertility clinic we were given the option for DE.  At first I was completely against it.  I prayed about it and I feel God led me to the answer that it was just like a kidney transplant that my Aunt had gone through the year before.  I was raised in a blended family and DH and I have a blended family with his 2 boys that live with us.  I'm an only child and have the best mother in the world that sacrificed alot for me and that was one of the pressing points to go through with DE.  I felt it was the best gift I could ever give her. DH had no problems and we did first transfer in May.  We started out with 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, we transferred 2 and none made it to blatocyst for freezing. We are curently 11wks today with twins! I wish you much luck! Always believed anyone can make a baby, but takes someone special to raise that baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"