School-Aged Children

Question from a teacher...

Hello ladies. I am a first grade teacher, and this is my first pregnancy. I wanted to ask you, as parents of school aged children for some advice.

If your first grader was in my class and asked me how the baby got in my tummy, how it's going to get out...or heaven forbid, my water breaks in class...what would YOU like me to tell your child?

I will be 24 weeks when we go back, so they will have TONS of time to ask me every question in the book. I just don't want to go in blind and say something that a parent does want....though, no, I would never ever give them the down and dirty truth...but I'm not sure exactly what I should say. I hope that makes sense... 

Anniversary

Re: Question from a teacher...

• I am also a FTM and a teacher and school ended when I was about 27 weeks.  I got a couple questions like that and always answered with, "those are questions for your family at home.," and just went right on to whatever we were supposed to be focused on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

imageoprastr:
    I am also a FTM and a teacher and school ended when I was about 27 weeks.  I got a couple questions like that and always answered with, "those are questions for your family at home.," and just went right on to whatever we were supposed to be focused on. 

This!  I teach 3rd and just said the same thing as PP... talk about it at home with mom or dad.

• Loading the player...
  • Totally agree with previous posters, leave it to the parents.  This way you don't cross any lines since beliefs, religions, how open they want to be, will vary family to family.   A short note stating that you are pregnant and that you will leave it in the parents hands to field all questions and that you will do your best in preparing their child for the transition for when you go on maternity leave will be sufficient. 
  • totally butting in on this board, but there is a book called Our Teacher's Having a Baby... I know the teachers at the school I taught at passed it around and read it to their students. You might look into that =)
  • If it ever came up I think I said I went to the hospital and the doctor helped me get the baby out.  No child ever asked deeper questions than that to me - thank goodness!  If they did, I'd probably tell them to talk to their parents.  Most of the time kids don't want to know that much and are satisfied with a very simple basic answer. . . most of the time. . ;-)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"