Birth Stories

Did your 2nd come as quickly as the first?

I just read recent post about a quick delivery that was very similar to my first with DD. I'd like to know for those that had a quick L&D with their first, was it the same for your 2nd child? I also had DD at 36 weeks and 3 days...I'm wondering if this one will be early too? I KNOW you never really know, but I'd just like to see how many of you out there this is true for. Smile

Re: Did your 2nd come as quickly as the first?

• Thanks for asking.  I would like to know this as well.
  • My first was born at 39 weeks, after a long 26 hour labor.  My second came at 38w 6d, with a 6 hour labor!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...

• 1st born at 37 weeks 5 days, water broke once pitocin kicked in he was born about 1 1/2 hours later.  7 pounds

2nd born at 40 weeks 3 days.  about 2 1/2 hours after getting to the hospital (no pitocin) he was born.  I was never told to push with him, i tried to resist pushing as long as I could as I wasn't fully dialated.  Once i was he was crowning.  He was 9 pounds, but an easier delivery by far :)

• First: born 39w 4d, 5 hour labor (epi), 5 min pushing

Second: born 38w 5d, born 1 hour after they broke my water (got epi 1.5 hr before water broken as I was already dilated to 7 cm and not in active labor), 10 min pushing

Third: born 38w 1d, born 59 min after getting to hospital, 20 min pushing (no time for epidural)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS:  on and off contrax for a couple days (we are talking like 2 hours of contrax, spaced 10-20 min).  So obviously stuff was happened, but it petered out.  Then, my water broke, contrax immediately every 2-3 min, he was born 3 hours alter.

DD:  More of a traditional lead-up with contrax slowly getting more and more intense.  I was up at night with regular ones, then slept like 2am until morning.  Then they started around 11am, and I had her at 2:50 pm.  So I would say her L&D was a little longer.  Hard to measure with all the per-labor though.  I am sure by the time I hit active labor I was fairly well dilated.

• My babies have been all over the board. My 1st was a cake walk. As was my 4th. The other 2 were not quite as simple. So in my experience, you just never know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • xnbridexnbride member

so far my labors have been fast and furious.

DS1 was 4 hours but it was pitocin induced

Ds2 was 3 hours from first contraction to him being born

I am curious how it will be with DS3. I hear the 3rd babe is the wild card so I am trying to prepare myself for a variety of scenarios. 

Typically second babies come in half the time as the first.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Holy cow! My first was after 6 hours so I might need a catchers mit then huh???!!!
  • My 1st was 7 hours all natural at a birth center. I labored at home for 3 of those 7 hours. Showed up 7cm at the birth center! It was an easy, beautiful birthing experience. I thought my 2nd would be just as easy.... no such luck! I was in labor 20 hours ending with an emergency c-section. I got stuck at 9 1/2 cm for 6 hours. There are 2 major differences: The 2nd one was a hospital birth experience vs. birthing center & I am in my late 30's now. The 1st, was in my early 20's... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My deliveries were quicker the more children I had.  My first was 10 days late 21 hour labour.  My second 15 days early 10 hour labour.  My third 6 days late 6 hour labour.  A good friend of mine had her first 5 days early with a 2.5 hour labour but her second was 3 days late and her labour was 10 hours.  You never really know.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My first was on her due date and came after 36 hours, with pitocin for the last 10. She only came after the doctor threatened a caesarean- my will became strong when he told me that! It was only 15 minutes pushing.

My second was three days late. From first contraction to last it was 6 hours with 10 minutes of pushing. Much quicker than the first but waaaaaaty more intense.

I am nervous about this one- my mom told me her labors were 8,6 and 2 hours. My sister was almost born in the waiting lounge. If I follow her pattern I might just have this child with one good sneeze around 39 weeks....... 

• tashalatashala member

imageJLRHNR:
    I just read recent post about a quick delivery that was very similar to my first with DD. I'd like to know for those that had a quick L&D with their first, was it the same for your 2nd child? I also had DD at 36 weeks and 3 days...I'm wondering if this one will be early too? I KNOW you never really know, but I'd just like to see how many of you out there this is true for. Smile

Awwww I'm naming my LO Jayden Cole...Big Smile

• My first was hell. I was laboring for 36 hours. My second was easy, less than two hours.

• I was in labor for almost 40 hours with my first, way over the 24 hour mark after my water broke because they said I had probably just wet my self. -__-;;

I started off decently, but after 22 hours I still hadn't gone farther then 2cm, even with Pitocin and an epidural.

Ended up having to get an emergency c-section and right as they took the baby out, and cut the cord, I blacked out. Not quite sure what happened, and I didn't want to know or ask so I didn't.

This time around though, I am hoping for an easier pregnancy. My first was born when I was 19, so maybe 22 will be easier? 

• xnbridexnbride member
    update: My third DS was a bit of a wild card. My labor ended up being about 7 hours. So it was still relatively short it was my longest yet. Apparently he was in a bad position and came out a bit sideways. But didn't cause any tearing or anything .I did hemorrhage quite a bit because he came very fast but not nearly as fast as dS1 and 2.  I imagine that labor would have been quick/er if he was in a good position so definitely be prepared.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Wow! Thanks everyone for the responses! Update for me: I had ptl last monday (33 weeks and 1 day), ended up being put on Procardia once a day (30 mg) and will be taken off of it at 36 weeks (June 3rd), and we'll see what happens from there. At that point, they won't do anything to stop the labor.

• Havent had a second yet, but I sure am curious to know if it will be the same or faster the second time around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"