School-Aged Children

Another kindergarten question for the pros

I am sorry I haven't lurked much but I figured you guys are getting bombarded with kindergarted questions.  I tried to search but didn't come up with anything so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

DD is going to kinder next year and I think she'll transition well but I thought many people out there might be interested in the following questions:

Do y'all have any advice regarding transitioning to kindergarten from preschool/daycare? 

Anything you guys didn't know but wish someone had told you?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Another kindergarten question for the pros

• ppantsppants member
    My twins went to K last year. They were *super* tired from going all day. I had to move bedtime up to keep them from turning into grumpy trolls the minute we got home from school. I cried the first day. They did not. :)
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Ive been wandering that to ds starts kindergarten this year. im so nervous how he will do! and im pretty sure i will cry lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • It took both my daughter and me about two weeks of school to really make the transition. DD's teacher used a discipline system involving placing clips on either blue, green, yellow or red to represent how each child is doing. DD was placed on yellow that first week a couple of days and a note came home about the incidences. But somehow she figured it out. She survived the rest of the year on only blue and green, which is good.

But I can remember the first two weeks being particularly stressful for us both, while she was figuring out the behavior expectations and I was figuring out transportation and logistics. 

• Forgot to mention that DD's public school sends home a ton of info in the backpacks. I wasn't used to so much paper coming home every day. It's all important stuff so remember to read through it. There is always so much going on at grade school!

• Thanks!  We just transitioned her out of naps so she would be somewhat prepared for that but I bet the mental stimulation is so much more in kinder!
  • Don't schedule many/any after school activities the first half of the year, especially if your DC is going full day.  Even if they have gone FT to PS last year, I've found they're really tired after school until about November.  The rest, just give it time and it will work out. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • imagemrs_sexy:
    My twins went to K last year. They were *super* tired from going all day. I had to move bedtime up to keep them from turning into grumpy trolls the minute we got home from school. I cried the first day. They did not. :)

This.. Also if your LO is involved with activities outside of school take a break for awhile so they can adjust to school.  They will be tired.   It is fun when you see how excited they are about telling your things every day.  

• My oldest DS is going into 10th grade.  Some of my surprises with kindergarten:

• My oldest DS is going into 10th grade.  Some of my surprises with kindergarten:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"