Multiples

HELP!! bedtime frustration

We're having a serious bedtime crisis right now and don't know what to do about it.

It used to be that both babies would get a feeding between 6 and 7, then get swaddled and put down to sleep.  They would both get drowsy while eating and then go down no problem until 11 or 12 at night.

In the last 3 days Paul's bedtime behavior has gotten totally crazy and we don't know why. Here's what's going on: We feed him and wrap him up and he still looks super hungry.  We usually breastfeed and then give a small supplemental bottle to make sure that he gets enough but it's never more than 2 ounces.  The last two days he's had 4 and still acted hungry.  He still roots around and picks up his head and flops it around and he's all big bug eyed staring.  We tried just feeding him more but he has reflux and starts throwing up big time and gets the hiccups.  If we can finally get him to get sleepy while holding him (which takes several hours) then as soon as we put him down he freaks out and gets wide eyed and awake instantly.  I had to hold him all night last night and got only like one hour of sleep.

The problem is there are two things we think might be causing it but we don't even know if it's either.

First off we drove down to my parents' house for the thanksgiving weekend so we've been out of our normal element which could be part of the problem... but we did bring our white noise machine and all of our blankets etc to try to keep bedtime as consistent as possible.

Second I had the flu shot on Friday and I had kind of a weird reaction to it.  I have a swollen arm and I feel kind of sick and I have a sore throat.  I'm breastfeeding so I'm wondering if some of that went to the baby?  Our pediatrician said I HAD TO get a flu shot so I'll be pretty mad if that's what's causing this.

The thing is we're now back at home and trying to put him down and he's still being weird even now that we're back to doing everything exactly  how we always do.

We're at our wits end trying to figure this out so any insight would be greatly appreciated!  I need some sleep!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HELP!! bedtime frustration

• both my girls did this for about 2 weeks for NO reason when they where almost 2 months. What we did is we put them in their swings and turned them on with sound and the both knocked out to sleep, or they slept on our chests... ALL NIGHT LONG for a few night. Not really sure what caused it or why it happened, but what I did worked. Just a thought.
  • hmmm i remember this happening also and we also resorted to swings for a few nights. also we added a supplement feeding before bathtime so our schedule looks like this 1. feed 2. bath 3. story 4. feed 5. bed and this seemed to help the hunger.

gl and sorry about the lack of sleep last night :(

• Loading the player...
  • One thing I can tell you is that even though it's over, a small change in routine, like going away from the weekend, always seems to affect kids for a little while as they react to being back home.

Also, throughout the first few months, there just are always little patches of time where things just go crazy for a few days/weeks. No good reason for it, but it DOES go back to normal!

Just keep up with your routine. Even though it may make you crazy for a little while, things will get back to normal!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"