Preemies

Introduction and question

Hi ladies, I gave birth to triplets 2 weeks ago today at 30w2d. My mono/di boys are doing well overall. Last week we found out our daughter suffered a level 3 bilateral brain bleed. Thankfully she is not showing any symptoms that would indicate a brain bleed which the doctor says is a good sign. She is having an ultrasound today to check for any changes with the bleed, we are praying for no change or signs it is starting to resolve. Have any of you ladies dealt with brain bleeds? What as the outcome? How did you deal with the stress of it all, I feel like a total basketcase.

Re: Introduction and question

• Congratulations on the birth of your babies. I don't have any experience with brain bleeds. Praying that your LO's have a short NICU stay. Please keep us posted.

• Both of our boys had brain bleeds.  They started as Grade 1 & 2 and unfortunately progressed to Grades 3 & 4 for both boys.  I remember the days they were due for a u/s were the worst for us.  We were so stressed and prayed as hard as we could, and every time we got bad news our worlds were turned upside down.

As a result of their brain bleeds, the boys developed hydrocephalus and Aiden has some evidence of PVL.  I hope this doesn't scare you, I am just being honest.  There are plenty of ladies, however, (I hope they chime in) whose children had brain bleeds that eventually just re-absorbed.  

If I knew then what I know now, I would tell myself to stop stressing.  Although the boys have hydrocephalus, they are doing great, meeting their milestones and making us proud everyday.  Yes they need therapy, and they are delayed, but no one can tell us if the reason for all this is their prematurity, the brain bleeds, or the hydrocephalus.  (They were born at 25w2d).

The truth is that not enough is known about the brain to make a realistic guess about what will or will not happen to your child as a result of the brain bleed.  I've read so many things about how babies brains are able to make connections in new places to make up for what is lost as a result of a brain bleed.  The doctors will probably tell you worst case scenario, but that's their job.  

I hope this answers your questions.  Please let me know if you have any more.  Praying for your LO, hope you get good news!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Firstly, congratulations on your babies x3!  I'm so glad that your boys are doing well.  

As for brain bleeds, both of my twins had IVHs.  Liam, my Twin A had a grade two bilateral bleed which self resolved.  He does have cp BUT it is believed that his condition stems from a very rough bout with meningitis and is not a direct result of the bleed.  Hunter, my twin B had a grade 3 bleed which also self resolved.  They did an MRI at discharge and things looked good for him.  It is still unknown what (if any) lasting effects will be, according to the neos these bleeds can lead to learning disabilities but now (at 18mo actual, 15adj) we see no signs yet.  Hunter receives no services either privately or through EI and we are hopeful that will continue.

The toughest thing about all of this is that no one can look into their crystal ball and tell you what will or won't happen, and that is incredibly stressful.  The only advice I can give you on how to handle it is to delight in the things that your children are beginning to do and to try and focus on the what is now rather than the what may be.   Take some time for yourself (I know I sound crazy- a triplet mom of preemies having 30 seconds to herself!) even if its just 15 minutes to have a cup of coffee or tea in the lounge, talk to some of the other moms you see, or read a chapter of a book.  

Best of luck to you and your babies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations on your triplets!

Both of my twins had brain bleeds. DD was bilateral 3 & 4. Her MRI at discharge showed they were resolving and she has had no major complications from it. DS had a 3 with some signs of hydrocephalus but it too resolved on its own by discharge. I do remember both progressing before they got "better" but it didn't seem to impact things at all.

Something they kept telling me was to keep in mind that their brain is still developing and can often develop "around" the problem area and compensate for it. 

Mom to preemie b/g twins born 14 weeks early after 3 years of IF, 8 clomid cycles and 1 IVF. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • DrRxDrRx member
    Congratulations on the birth of your babies! I'm sorry to hear about the brain bleed.  I don't have any experience with them, but I hope that things get better with the next ultrasound. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Congrats on your babies! Hopefully your NICU stay will be uneventful & relatively quick!  

My DD (28weeker) had a unilateral grade 2 bleed on her Day 7 u/s. Like you mentioned, she didn't have any "symptoms" & her neo was reassuring that she wasn't very concerned. Like the PP said, ultrasound days were hard bc we were literally sick with worry. By day 21 it had completely resolved. We feel very lucky that we made it out of IVH territory unscathed. So far, she's showing no effects & is catching up quite nicely developmentally. Good luck to your kiddo!  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Congrats on your triple blessings!!! My DD (22weeker) had grade 2 bilateral bleeds - she never showed any symptoms and they were resolved completely by about 3 months post discharge from the NICU - GL and I hope that bleed reabsorbs
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"