Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Leaking PF's?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot with CD's yet, since everything is so new to us.  Our DD leaks through her PF's - usually it happens at night but occasionally it'll happen during the day too.  Is the diaper just getting too wet and we need a doubler or something?  Is it possible that I'm still somehow putting them on wrong?  Could the cover be too small?

I really like CDing so far and want to make it work, I'm just not sure what we're doing wrong.   

imageimage 

Re: Leaking PF's?

• Options

How long is she in them when they leak. You do have to change cd's a bit more often than disposables (though I find that in general they actually leak way less). Are they soaked when she leaks through them? If so, I'd say change more frequently and at night add a doubler. Do you change her at night when she wakes up to eat or is she sleeping long stretches when she leaks. What kind of covers are you using and do you make sure that now pf is poking out anywhere because you'll get leaks that way.

It could be a fit issue too but I thought I'd trouble shoot that first. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    is the entire diaper wet? It could be too small if the entire diaper is soaked. Going up a size or using a doubler would be helpful. If the entire diaper isn't wet, it would most likely be a build-up issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    if the diaper is fully saturated, then you'll need to add absorbency. try a doubler made of hemp or bamboo, they're typically thirstier than plain cotton. if the diaper isn't soaked, then you've got repelling issues, but that shouldn't be the case unless the pf's weren't properly prepped or you use a non-cd detergent. i'd bet that they just can't hold enough for overnight. right now my 7 mo. old dd is in a gmd prefold w/ 3-layer hemp/bamboo velour doubler, fleece liner next to her skin (to keep her feeling dry) topped with a wool soaker. fleece jammies for extra protection! it sounds like a lot but it's not terribly bulky and i swear it's totally leakproof. that might be a bit much for a newborn though! keep trying, you'll figure out the perfect equation soon!
  • Options

DH changes her diapers at night, but he says they're pretty soaked when she leaks through.  I will look into getting some doublers to try out because I don't think it's a repelling issue and the fit *seems* good.  Thanks for all the help!

ETA: When she does leak through, it's usually been 4-5 hours since her last feeding and change. 

imageimage 
  • Options
    Yeah - I'd say it's just an absorbency issue. If she's sleeping 4-5 hour stretches and the diaper is soaked then it's just probably oversaturated. During the day cd's usually need to be changed every 2-3 hours but that's not always possible when they're sleeping so I'd just get a doubler for then. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DH and I use 2 NB prefolds at night (DS can sleep up to almost 5 hours sometimes).  We find that doubling up helps prevent leaks.  What kind of covers have you been using?
  • Options

We picked up a few different brands of covers to start off with and it seems like it doesn't make a difference as to which one we use.

We have Thirsties, Imse Vimse (still too big, even in the NB size), Prowrap classic, and Bummis.   

imageimage 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"