Washington Babies
Options

Exercise Suggestions

I have been doing aerobics three times a week and think I need to shift my routine to something a bit better for baby now (24 wks).  I know there is a yoga at Swedish but can't make the hours.  What do you all do?  Where does everyone go?  Something in Seattle (DT or West Seattle) and with evening classes. 

I have a friend that does water aerobics.  Another friend suggsted pilates with the machine was very helpful leading up to birth.  Any one have suggestions?

Amanda
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Exercise Suggestions

• Options

I found swimming and yoga very helpful when pregnant.  The Seattle Pools have drop in classes that are very affordable for water aerobics.  They are not prenatal specifically, but are fun, have lots of times available, and can be a good workout depending on your instructor.  For yoga, I live Colette Crawford at Seattle Holistic Center in N. Seattle.  I have also heard good things about 8 limbs which has a few locations.  Pilates would also be good, just make sure the trainer knows what's safe for pregnancy.

• Options

I lifted weights far into my pregnancy, just switching to lighter weights and more reps - but that was a continuation of my prior workouts.  I think the advice is do what you normally do, just don't increase intensity.

I was a runner but switched to walking for my pregnancy [for the next one I'm going to keep running]; I loved the recumbent bike at the gym, water aerobics and yoga. I didn't take any prenatal specific classes, just did research and spoke with my doc and doula about what was safe and unsafe.  My yoga instructor was great about giving me an alternative move if we did one of the few ones I needed to avoid.

Good luck!  I think exercising, even at low intensity, throughout my pregnancy helped me recover quickly.  I plan to push myself more the next pregnancy so I hopefully don't put on as many lbs :)

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the tips! Prior to pregnancy I was doing Zumba four times a week pretty enthusiastically. I cut back to two times a week with no jumping and twirling. It has been good till now. I feel like I need to scale back in intensity and increase in frequency. 

What do you all think about bike riding?  I used to ride my bike to work, but people scared me over the equilibrium issues.  Am I being paranoid?  I miss riding along the waterfront or to Alki Beach on a nice day. 

I'll see what I can find for Yoga/Pilates in West Seattle.

Amanda
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I rode my bike to work till I was 30 weeks.  It was hard to do hills and I was pretty slow.  A lot of folks switch to a stationary bike in the later weeks if balance is an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"