June 2011 Moms
Options

Diaper Bag I made... Honest opinions please (Pic Heavy)

Kimbo let me know if I am not allowed to do this...

So some of you know that I make and sell handbags. I have wanted to add a diaper bag to my patterns and now I have.

Okay this is what I need honest opinions on. 

What do you think about the style?
If you were going to buy this bag would you pay $65.00 for it?

Description:
13 x 13 x 5 1/2
Backpack/Shoulder convertible with Flip out Changing Station with two pockets.
Two pockets each side
Zipper closure at top with flap.
4 large pockets on inside/4 small pockets total of 8 pockets.
Has matching Changing pad

ETA: Don't know if this changes opinions or not, but I allow my customers to pick their own fabrics and colors based off the choices listed on my site. So it's totally a custom bag.)

(I can fit 5 CD's, Two outfits, wipes case, wet bag, wallet, cell phone, book, snacks, and diaper "stuff" in this bag)

I have at least half of what I am asking for it in materials and I am paying myself crap for time but I enjoyed making it. I am trying to figure out if anyone is even willing to pay for it.  Did you know there are 52 separate pieces that have to be cut to make this bag?

~ Cassie ~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFetus Ticker
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Diaper Bag I made... Honest opinions please (Pic Heavy)

• Options
    I think it is awesome!  Every feature I love in a diaper bag you have included.  I'd buy one from you (seriously) for much more than $65 because you NEED to pay yourself more for your time (trust me, I am learning this too...Very excellent mama.
  • Options
    Wow!! I can't believe you made that!  That is super cute and very functional. I don't use traditional diaper bags so I do not even know what they are priced at in the stores. I see those types on sale on Babysteals for around $65 so it seems like the right price. Maybe under priced for that amount of space??? Idk. Other moms may have a better take on this one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, what are the materials?  Canvas?
  • Options

imagekattyleigh:
    Also, what is the materials?  Canvas?

The outside is a mix of canvas (hot pink) and a bottom weight home decor material. The lining is 100% cotton. (Not to mention the two types of interfacing and fusible fleece used to structure the bag) Oh and all the hardware.

This is why the bag is so much. One because I don't want to use crap materials and two because it took me a total of about 8 solid hours to make just this one. Now that I know all the steps I will probably cut out 1.5 - 2 hours of my time. I really should list it for more, but I am not sure how well it will sell. 

ETA: And I allow my customers to custom order their bags. So they get to chose colors and everything.  They cost way too much to make to make a few and try to sell.

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagebutterfly62682:

imagekattyleigh:

The outside is a mix of canvas (hot pink) and a bottom weight home decor material. The lining is 100% cotton. 

This is why the bag is so much. One because I don't want to use crap materials and two because it took me a total of about 8 solid hours to make just this one. Now that I know all the steps I will probably cut out 1.5 - 2 hours of my time. I really should list it for more, but I am not sure how well it will sell. 

ETA: And I allow my customers to custom order their bags. So they get to chose colors and everything. 

Please please please PM me the link to your shop!!!  I NEED it!  I love what you have done here.  And yes, please list it for more than $65.  You deserve it.

• Options
    imagekattyleigh:
    imagebutterfly62682:

imagekattyleigh:

The outside is a mix of canvas (hot pink) and a bottom weight home decor material. The lining is 100% cotton. 

ETA: And I allow my customers to custom order their bags. So they get to chose colors and everything. 

Please please please PM me the link to your shop!!!  I NEED it!  I love what you have done here.  And yes, please list it for more than $65.  You deserve it.

Sent you PM

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I love it!!!
  • Options

imagejanbc06:
    I love it!!!

Thank you!

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just bought a super cute handbag!  Love your work.  I am def interested in a diaper bag...if we decide to go for #3 lol.  Thank you for sharing.
  • Options

imagekattyleigh:
    Just bought a super cute handbag!  Love your work.  I am def interested in a diaper bag...if we decide to go for #3 lol.  Thank you for sharing.

Oh wow!!! Cool will ship tomorrow. :D

ETA: Also, I keep meaning to check out your Etsy shop. Off to play on etsy! It's an addiction. :D

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagebutterfly62682:

imagekattyleigh:

Oh wow!!! Cool will ship tomorrow. :D

ETA: Also, I keep meaning to check out your Etsy shop. Off to play on etsy! It's an addiction. :D

My shop is closed at the moment.  It got so totally crazy and out of control that I couldn't keep up.  So I moved to more of a stocking method and will reopen on Friday morning at 9 Pacific Time.  Feels good to be on that route.  The business was great but I needed to take a step back...

• Options

That's really cute - and for a handmade item that's custom, you could charge more than the $65. Don't short change yourself!

great job! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think it's great!  You can easily charge $65 for it, or even more....if you changed the straps.  I think that the straps make it look a bit cheaper than it could look, cause otherwise it looks really well made.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagepregarella:

I think it's great!  You can easily charge $65 for it, or even more....if you changed the straps.  I think that the straps make it look a bit cheaper than it could look, cause otherwise it looks really well made.

I completely agree with this. The rest of the materials look really nice and custom. I think the straps look like an afterthought (no offense b/c the rest is incredible!). I would say you could charge more if you change the straps to something thicker and the color matched the bag. For example, this bag could have matching fabric straps or hot pink, lime green, etc. Can you use the same fabric? Or some sort of heavier non-cloth  material? That way it would be easier to get the stains out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepregarella:

That's a beautiful bag! I had the same thought on the straps. Everything else is perfect!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you ladies. I completely agree with the straps. There weren't an afterthought, I couldn't find the hardware I needed to make the matching straps. And after loading it and carrying it some today, I want to make a more cushioned strap.

I am happy everyone likes it. :D

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I love it! I agree you could charge more.

On the straps, I agree a padded strap would be nice, and I'm also hesitant to buy anything that attached a strap to a bag with a metal loop + fabric loop stitched on. Almost every bag I've bought like that has had a broken strap long before the bag is worn out. :( Maybe I'm just hard on bags though!  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I agree with the straps and the price. Especially because it would be custom, a higher price is completely warranted. Is the 2nd to last pic the changing pad? I think if I had that bag, I wouldn't use it either because it's not very big (and I'd want more than just her behind on it) or because it doesn't detached from the bag (or does it?). Think of all the places I've had to try to change Emma while out and about, using that particular pad wouldn't be convenient - the ones in bathrooms or the car seat wouldn't be big enough to hold the bag and the baby. Just my two cents Smile It looks great though, I wish I could sew that well!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    Besides the fact I am not a fan of pink, I really do like the bag itself!
  • Options
    I love the bag, but one thing I would check into is to make sure that Petunia Pickle Bottom does not have any patent rights to some of the features. It looks exactly like my Boxy but at half the price. I would just hate to see you get in trouble!
  • Options

imageLollyBug18:
    I agree with the straps and the price. Especially because it would be custom, a higher price is completely warranted. Is the 2nd to last pic the changing pad? I think if I had that bag, I wouldn't use it either because it's not very big (and I'd want more than just her behind on it) or because it doesn't detached from the bag (or does it?). Think of all the places I've had to try to change Emma while out and about, using that particular pad wouldn't be convenient - the ones in bathrooms or the car seat wouldn't be big enough to hold the bag and the baby. Just my two cents Smile It looks great though, I wish I could sew that well!

LOL... No there is a completely separate Changing Pad. I didn't picture it because I hadn't finished it at the time. LOL. But it is big enough to completely cover the fold out changing tables. 

ETA: It's a lot bigger than you would think it is. 

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageLaRue86:
    I love the bag, but one thing I would check into is to make sure that Petunia Pickle Bottom does not have any patent rights to some of the features. It looks exactly like my Boxy but at half the price. I would just hate to see you get in trouble!

I should have mentioned that in my original post, the bag is off a pattern I purchased myself. So I am in the clear. I have a diaper bag that I am designing myself that is more geared for CD's but it's still in the works. 

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagebutterfly62682:

imageLaRue86:

I should have mentioned that in my original post, the bag is off a pattern I purchased myself. So I am in the clear. I have a diaper bag that I am designing myself that is more geared for CD's but it's still in the works. 

Awesome!

• Options
    Love the bag! Like other pp's have said, I would change the straps, but that's it! You did such an awesome job! Definitely charge more than $65 for it, it's one of a kind.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 2 pennies: change the straps to matching fabric and charge more (at least $85).  Also, I personally do not care for a flap.  I prefer it to be able to easily dig in as needed.  Maybe you could do option 1: with flap and option 2: without flap???
  • Options

imagekimbo1216:
    My 2 pennies: change the straps to matching fabric and charge more (at least $85).  Also, I personally do not care for a flap.  I prefer it to be able to easily dig in as needed.  Maybe you could do option 1: with flap and option 2: without flap???

Yes I can easily remove the flap from the bag. 

~ Cassie ~

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    akayfakayf member
    love it!    can you PM me your etsy shop?   I would see your other stuff too!
  • Options

I think its cute, and also agree with the cushioned straps. I'm looking forward to seeing the cloth diaper version.

One of my favorite features in a bag is a lighter inside, it makes it easier to find stuff. So that is something I now look for.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Rainbow baby, EDD 7/8/14, missed miscarriage 12/5/13. 
  • Options
    I also love the bag, and I love that you can wear it as a backpack.  Cushiony straps are a great idea too.  I personally hate carrying around a huge heavy diaper bag over my shoulder as well as lugging around a LO on my hip so I really appreciate a cute, roomy backpack like this.  Great job, mama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"