3rd Trimester
Options

S/O the leash post below

1235»

Re: S/O the leash post below

• Options

When my two start darting in opposite directions in super safe places like parking lots or pools, I usually go all hulksmash on them and I find that to be very effective.

and lol @ ftm. srsly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKateLouise:
    imagepunkrockabye:

I can't imagine using a stroller simply as a child "container" because I would not want to hear my kid throw an absolute fit because she wants out! If the kid is content, then they clearly want to be in it, so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it that way.

i see zombie kids at the mall all the time. completely zoned out in the stroller. now to be fair they may have just run around all morning and simply be in the troller because now they're tired.

i've contained dd1 in a stroller twice. i felt bad for her but i had stuff that i needed to happen. i did let her out to stretch her legs when she got antsy, but i simply didn't have time to walk at her pace and stop and look at everything she wanted to. she zoned out and was generally content, but i didn't consider it excellent parenting.

It's sad to me that you would be that harsh with yourself.  You put her in a stroller because you were in a time crunch. You didn't duct tape her to the wall.  Sitting quietly in a comfortable seat while you push her around is hardly torturous or neglectful.  You interpreted her being quiet as being "zoned out".  Maybe she was, but maybe she was just restful and peaceful.  Children need those moments too.

The fact is, if you surround your children with love, plenty of attention, and security on a daily basis, it doesn't really much matter if you use a stroller, baby-wear, hold their hand, or use a leash.

Unless a kid is clearly being abused or neglected (in which case it becomes everyone's responsibility), then I have too many other things to do than worry about what you're doing with your kid.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageks3pink:
    imagemammcg88:

imageks3pink:

Not trying to be ugly but if my kid looked at me like that at any time they wouldn't be able to run because their little butt would be red.  Same thing with the toddler playing chicken.  You're going to have a lot of fun when your kids are teenaers if you let that behavior slide now.  Trust me, I see it in my classroom everyday, I can tell the kids who were disciplined from the ones who were just shielded.

You are a disgusting breed of person. Spanking a child's butt until it's red is abuse. I hope that every nasty, terrible bit of karma beats your ass until it's red. 

Read all the posts please.  It was a metaphor meaning I would spank them, not literally make their butt red. 

I'm so glad you're a math teacher, and not an English teacher. Confused

But then, what do I know about anything. My classroom is constantly full of noise, movement, and active engagement.  I never have my students work silently for an entire period, as I prefer to have them actually engaged in what they are learning and collaborating with their peers. And, I'm regularly praised by my principals, co-workers, and parents for my classroom management and getting the students to actually enjoy learning. I'd LOVE to see your "silent classroom" work in my building (where the "weapons amnesty box" is conveniently located just outside my classroom).

• Options

...well this got ugly fast. I need to rethink my decision to comment on new threads right before I go to bed because then I wake up to 9 pages of arguing! haha.

I guess it's officially off topic to come back and say if I need to use a little leash harness for my kid's safety, it's not out of the question, just like a stroller, even if I do have my initial feelings toward the items. Unlike hitting a 1 year old, I'm not ruling them out.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    imageks3pink:
    imageHuntsvillemama2012:
    imageks3pink:
    imageLoisLane23:
    imageks3pink:
    imageLoisLane23:
    imageelmoali:
    imageLoisLane23:

It's a harness, not a leash.

It's absolutely no different than a stroller.

ETA: It's cute that a bunch of FTM's to be are judging harnesses. After having a toddler that bolts the minute her feet touch the ground, I'm a fan of harnesses. Try teaching your 18 month old to hold your hand in a parking lot while she tries to play chicken with the pickup behind you.

No kidding.  And I think it's naive, pompous and honestly, dangerous, to think your parenting skills are SO amazing that you can keep a small human safe with a look and your "serious voice."  Toddlers love nothing more than to make you doubt your abilities and to give you a virtual "f'uck you." 

See siggy pic for Tessa's reaction to me reasoning with her about why it's important to stay away from moving cars.

Not trying to be ugly but if my kid looked at me like that at any time they wouldn't be able to run because their little butt would be red.  Same thing with the toddler playing chicken.  You're going to have a lot of fun when your kids are teenaers if you let that behavior slide now.  Trust me, I see it in my classroom everyday, I can tell the kids who were disciplined from the ones who were just shielded.

I think the fact that you spank your 18 month old for not understanding your commands is pretty f'ucking ugly.

I absolutely would never trust you anywhere near my child and frankly, I'm pretty disgusted that you are a teacher. There are hundreds of ways to discipline a child that don't involve abuse. I think I'll try those first.

Spanking is not abuse, and it works.  The kid thinks twice before repeating the action.  As I said, have fun with the teenage years and god bless the high school teacher that gets disrespected daily by your kid. 

Bless your heart sweetie. Your even having twins. Please to come back next year and tell us about how you moved from hand, to shoe, to belt, to spoon, to switch because your hand wasn't hurting them enough. 

Yep, I'm having twins, even more reason to be strict.  And I would never use an object to spank my kid.  That would be abuse.  Its not about hurting them, its about getting their attention.  The same reason you pop a 1 year old's hand and tell them no when they try to pick up breakable objects off a coffee table.  It gets their attention.   

So you're cool with hitting a one year old for exploring their environment? You're a teacher so I shouldn't have to tell you that's how they learn... Unless you're just a para or daycare employee that tells people they're a teacher to somehow feel justified.   I think an abortion would have given your children a better life than being stuck with someone who would spank a one year old.  

What are you going to do when they cry as newborns? "Pop" them for being disrespectful? Maybe give them a little jiggle to get their attention? This is exactly how children die at the hands of abusive parents. 

And the respect thing?  It has to be earned.  Hitting your child won't make them respect you.  Delinquents are caused by people like you.  Good luck with your white trash life.   

• Options
    imageJessAndTrav:
    imageks3pink:

Only every parent I know.  Some of you really need to visit the South I guess, maybe that's why my style seems so foreign.  Its worked for ages. 

So you're blaming your view on where you live? You're really grabbing for anything you can.

I live in Texas. You know, the place where society thinks we only wear cowboy hats and ride our horses into town? While everyone I know is busy rounding up cattle, nobody I know would act like you.

In other news, I'm a high school teacher, (probably in a one-room school since we're so country down yonder) and I get disrespected DAILY by students, because that's what high schoolers do. It doesn't matter if they were never spanked or beaten theshit out of. They're behave disrespectfully because they think they're adult. 

Still, I don't condone hitting your kid.

I hope this message-thingy-ma-bobber finds it's way to you, since I don't even know how to use the internet, much less a fancy-fandangled-computer.

LOLOLOL

Sooooo  Let me get this straight... You're from the state that will sentence the death penalty for jaywalking and still against beating babies?

point match. 

• Options
    imageScout2005:

Uh...

Okay, I think we might be crossing a line here. Telling a woman her children would have been better off being aborted is not cool, regardless of how heated the debate. 

Yeah ? wow. 

• Options
    Also, most people who commented aren?t anti-stroller. Many of us were listing the pros and cons of strollers and harnesses while not having any problem with either one. I think that point got lost or twisted into ?strollers are evil!? somewhere along the line.
  • Options
    imageFormerlyKrista555:
    imageKateLouise:
    imagepunkrockabye:

I can't imagine using a stroller simply as a child "container" because I would not want to hear my kid throw an absolute fit because she wants out! If the kid is content, then they clearly want to be in it, so I wouldn't be opposed to keeping it that way.

i see zombie kids at the mall all the time. completely zoned out in the stroller. now to be fair they may have just run around all morning and simply be in the troller because now they're tired.

i've contained dd1 in a stroller twice. i felt bad for her but i had stuff that i needed to happen. i did let her out to stretch her legs when she got antsy, but i simply didn't have time to walk at her pace and stop and look at everything she wanted to. she zoned out and was generally content, but i didn't consider it excellent parenting.

It's sad to me that you would be that harsh with yourself.  You put her in a stroller because you were in a time crunch. You didn't duct tape her to the wall.  Sitting quietly in a comfortable seat while you push her around is hardly torturous or neglectful.  You interpreted her being quiet as being "zoned out".  Maybe she was, but maybe she was just restful and peaceful.  Children need those moments too.

The fact is, if you surround your children with love, plenty of attention, and security on a daily basis, it doesn't really much matter if you use a stroller, baby-wear, hold their hand, or use a leash.

Unless a kid is clearly being abused or neglected (in which case it becomes everyone's responsibility), then I have too many other things to do than worry about what you're doing with your kid.

I wholeheartedly agree, I think all of them are tools and that if you use them thoughtfully and in a balanced way then it doesn't matter much.

I suppose when I have used the stroller as a container I've felt like telling everyone, "this isn't an everday occurrence. I don't do this everytime we leave thehouse." Because I'm pretty sure there are some parents who go and stroll around the mall for their own entertainment and their kid spends hours in a stroller day after day. Much like some parents shove their kid in front of the TV for hours everyday.

So maybe it's my fault I feel like this because I'm judgey of parents who don't spend quality time with their kids. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    atcwagatcwag member

imagephq2011:
    I think it may have something to do with the fact we use leashes for pets, but strollers for babies. You don't have a "pet stroller". It is the word-likeness I think that starts this mindset. Idk though, I don't judge either.

You have apparantly not met my neighbors who take their dog for walks in a doggy stroller.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSGC29:

I was staying out of this. But I just can't.

You want to hear a funny story ks3pink?

My parents raised me VERY similarly to how you are raising your kids. I was taught that gay people were going to hell. They followed the whole "spare the rod spoil the child" logic. I was spanked from a young age. I was spanked for just about anything. They were a southern conservative family with strict values and it was a difficult environment to live in to say the least.

You want to know what kind of relationship I have with them now?

I don't.

I cannot stand my parents. I hate everything they stand for and I pretty much disagree with everything they did to myself and my siblings growing up. I speak to them, occassionally, but I keep my emotional distance. Because I feel almost nothing for them. I wish I could say I love my parents, but I don't. I hope they live wonderful lives and I wish nothing but the best for them. But I wish I could have nothing to do with them. I wish I could cut ties. I don't feel a bond with them. I feel embarrassed FOR them.

Simmer on that a bit. 

This is exactly me too, except the southern thing. I had to go to a lot of therapy to be able to say out loud how much I hate my mom (not to her face). I STILL have nightmares, as a grown adult, of her hitting me. In my nightmares I am sometimes a kid, sometimes an adult. She will NEVER be left alone with my child(ren). 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageatcwag:

imagephq2011:
    I think it may have something to do with the fact we use leashes for pets, but strollers for babies. You don't have a "pet stroller". It is the word-likeness I think that starts this mindset. Idk though, I don't judge either.

You have apparantly not met my neighbors who take their dog for walks in a doggy stroller.

Yeah, shortly after I posted that, I found out they exist. That is a whole different discussion that is kinda a mute point anymore. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKateLouise:
    imageFormerlyKrista555:
    imageKateLouise:
    imagepunkrockabye:

I wholeheartedly agree, I think all of them are tools and that if you use them thoughtfully and in a balanced way then it doesn't matter much.

I suppose when I have used the stroller as a container I've felt like telling everyone, "this isn't an everday occurrence. I don't do this everytime we leave thehouse." Because I'm pretty sure there are some parents who go and stroll around the mall for their own entertainment and their kid spends hours in a stroller day after day. Much like some parents shove their kid in front of the TV for hours everyday.

So maybe it's my fault I feel like this because I'm judgey of parents who don't spend quality time with their kids. 

See, all of this has got to stop. 

This is why I jump in on these posts in the first place. Are you with those parents 24/7/364? Maybe they have an after dinner routine or have kickass family weekends. Maybe they aren?t spending time with their kids in front of you because they are visiting with you. Let go of the judgement based on the sliver of the life you see.

Then when you go out in public realize that people only see a sliver of your life and have no basis to judge your parenting on. Be confident in making the right choice to keep your child safe and out of harm, and don?t give a damn about judgyassholes.
  • Options
    imagephq2011:
    imageatcwag:

imagephq2011:

Yeah, shortly after I posted that, I found out they exist. That is a whole different discussion that is kinda a mute point anymore. 

Moot.  

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

I'm about a decade late to this thread but I just had to add my two cents.

Here's the thing about ks3pink's parenting: I think it works perfectly for the type of children she is hoping to raise. 

Because I honestly think she's more interested in raising quiet, obedient, scared-shitless kids who wouldn't dare do something as brazen as pick up an object off the of the coffee table than she is in raising kind, confident, intelligent people.  She isn't disciplining her kids so they'll be better adults.  She's going to hit her kids so they'll get out of her way.

So I think she could really giveafuck about the research, or about child development, or about logic.  I think she'd rather have kids who know their place, even if it means they are too scared to explore, too unsure to learn, and too detached to love with trust.

She isn't raising human beings, she's managing inconveniences.

• Options
    imageoverture:

Here's the thing about ks3pink's parenting: I think it works perfectly for the type of children she is hoping to raise. 

Because I honestly think she's more interested in raising quiet, obedient, scared-shitless kids who wouldn't dare do something as brazen as pick up an object off the of the coffee table than she is in raising kind, confident, intelligent people.  She isn't disciplining her kids so they'll be better adults.  She's going to hit her kids so they'll get out of her way.

So I think she could really giveafuck about the research, or about child development, or about logic.  I think she'd rather have kids who know their place, even if it means they are too scared to explore, too unsure to learn, and too detached to love with trust.

George Costanza (Jason Alexander) Seinfeld Clapping GIF

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageoverture:

Damn.

Youre good.

::high gives:: 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    MrsAJLMrsAJL member

Wow! You haven't even had your babies yet and you've already failed at parenting. Way to go! Yes

• Options
    imageks3pink:
    imageScout2005:

Who the FARK pops a 1 year old's hand?! Is this actual life? 

Only every parent I know.  Some of you really need to visit the South I guess, maybe that's why my style seems so foreign.  Its worked for ages. 

Really?  Because it seems to me that the South has more than its fair share of asssholes.

• Options

Totally late coming to this thread (damn, I missed out on a good one while on vacation!), but I have to comment. I can't help myself.

To the Pink Idiot: I've kind of always winced in pain every other time I've seen you post, but you've actually made my jaw drop in disbelief throughout this thread, and for the first time ever on TB, I got mad. I mean, absolutely cross-eyed furious. I cannot believe that you would ever think that spanking an 18 month old baby would be a good idea, or that you'd completely disregard a discipline method as being inappropriate for a child's age or level of development. This just completely blows my mind! To me, the way you view spankings and when/why they should be given is a form of abuse. And to write it all off because you're from the South?? Greetings from the South, my dear; I was born in Louisiana, raised in Texas for the majority of my life, and I now reside in Oklahoma. I, and no one I personally know, share your thoughts in regards to discipline. And I happen to be damned good at math, thank you.

I'm not anti-spanking. I feel that it is a discipline method that has it's time and it's place, and that it isn't appropriate for all children (such as special needs kiddos, for example). I also feel that it isn't appropriate for all ages; just like I'd never spank a baby, neither would I spank a 12 yr old. My parents spanked both my brother and I as children, though it was done sparingly, only when we'd done something really bad, and even then, it was only a couple of swats with a parent's bare hand. Both my brother and I turned out alright, neither of us caused anyone any serious grief, neither of us has violent tendencies, and we have a good, healthy relationship with both parents, so I'll emulate my folks' parenting style to a large extent.

And to go totally off-topic (funny, considering that it was the original topic), I'm pro-leash, pro-stroller, and pro-babywearing. I intend to do all 3 at some point or another!

• Options
    imagegisa886:
    imagephq2011:
    imageatcwag:

imagephq2011:

Moot.  

I knew it didn't look right when I wrote it. Thanks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageks3pink:
    I hate leashes because they look inhumane and I feel like there is more of a chance of the kid getting hurt if the parent gets angry (and most of the parents I've seen using leashes are the irresponsible and full of attitude kind).  I also think a lot of parents use strollers for convience, somewhere to but bags and drinks, etc.  Also what kid wouldn't prefer being pushed around to being restrained by a leash like a dog?  Seems like common sense to me.

There is far less of a chance of my child being hurt when he has on his harness, and no. Many times my 2yo much prefers to walk over being in the stroller. Obviously what you see as common sense doesn't equate to real world experience.

• Options

Wow, this thread makes me remember why I am rarely on TB...

Chipmunk- you are a moron, and need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills before defending someone who clearly does not deserve it. 

ks3pink- you are a disgusting individual and I honestly do feel sorry for your babies. Oh, and I cannot wait for the day when you give one of your "obedient" children a "pop" on the hand or butt and they turn around and knock you into next week because they are sick of your abuse. 

• Options

imagemrs.kapow:
    I'm just glad you teach math because you don't know what a metaphor is.

She also used the wrong form of They're several times.

THERE ARE 3 FORMS. derp. 

• Options
    imageMama_SAS:
    imageks3pink:
    I hate leashes because they look inhumane and I feel like there is more of a chance of the kid getting hurt if the parent gets angry (and most of the parents I've seen using leashes are the irresponsible and full of attitude kind).  I also think a lot of parents use strollers for convience, somewhere to but bags and drinks, etc.  Also what kid wouldn't prefer being pushed around to being restrained by a leash like a dog?  Seems like common sense to me.

That?s just judgmental and insulting. How the hell do you know anything about the parents or kids by seeing 10 seconds of their life? You?re not new here judging by your join date. You should already know that you don?t know anyone?s lyfe.

For example -
    Due to DS?s auditory sensory issues he flipped out whenever we were in a crowd and it got loud. Due to his ADHD/impulsivity he would bolt, usually toward the road since the road isn't crowded & he loves vehicles. Also due to his auditory sensory issues he can't distinguish one voice from another when there is a lot of noise and can't hear me yelling "Stop!? Due to my illness and chronic pain disorder that was triggered by childbirth, I could not chase him. I could barely walk at the time because I was not on a good pain management plan. Because of this I strapped a monkey backpack on him (with the end around my wrist) every afternoon for months and walked around our neighborhood. He had to hold my hand, but if he twisted out of my grasp and ran he was still attached to me and could only go 2-3 feet away. We practiced walking and practiced staying with me instead of running when upset and practiced telling me when he was upset, when it was too loud, when he felt bad (overstimulated). By the time he was 3 I felt it was safe to bring him out without it despite his special needs and my disability.  If it wasn't for that monkey backpack I would have had him strapped screaming in a stroller until he was much older, which doesn't teach a thing except to hate going anywhere.   So, yeah, I guess I?m irresponsible and full of attitude.

Wow!  You are a great mom!  I love how hard you worked to support your kiddo!  Keep doing what you're doing. 

• Options

Its pretty simple to figure out the difference.

Google "leash" and let us know what the first 5 ;links are related to.

Now, do the same with "stroller."

Wait, wait...I need to go read this whole damn thread. Ignore that text above.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"