Health & Exercise
Options

Weight Watchers for Breastfeeding Moms

I am currently 40W4D pregnant.  I have been very active throughout my pregnancy (consistently going to the gym 4-6 days a week for the majority of it, walks every day with the dogs, moving a lot around the house) but have indulged probably more than I should have :)  I have gained about 40lbs this pregnancy (this is my first) and plan to EBF once LO arrives. 

I am wondering if anyone has experience with Weight Watchers and specifically, the program for nursing mothers.  I am looking for a program to help me lose the baby weight plus probably another 25lbs.  I am super motivated to do this and have had success in the past in losing weight (I also tend to gain and lose weight quicker than others due to my struggles with an eating disorder for years from ages 15-17).  Any advice/feedback on WW or any other program is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Weight Watchers for Breastfeeding Moms

• Options

Weight Watchers has a pretty decent program for nursing mothers, it pretty much follows suite with the basic program except your points are calculated differently to account for the breastfeeding. If you follow a healthy, balanced diet...exercise regularly (depending on what your doctor says is okay) and follow their program I think you will definitely find success.

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Weight watchers has a good program, but you will want to check with your doctor, because I think the advice for me (if I can remember right) was to wait at least 2 months after birth to make sure your supply is okay.  I didn't start weight watchers until my LO was 4 months old and that worked out great.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Keep in mind that nursing keeps an extra few pounds until baby is weaned. I've had 3 LO's and I kept an extra 5 to 10 until I weaned them at 12 months.  After weaning the extra weight wasn?t hard to get off because I had a very active pregnancy and post partum. 

• Options
    Definitely wait a few months for your supply to be established.  With DS1 I started WW at 3m and had an oversupply if anything.  WIth the twins I stared at 1m and my supply tanked and I was never able to get it back fully (I went from having more than enough for twins to having to use formula for more than 1/2 their feeds).  If BFing is really important, don't worry about the extra weight any time soon, I still have regrets of not being able to nurse my twins and they're 2.5 years.
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    I started at 4w pp and I think it's great. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I started 2 weeks PP and stuck to it for 6 months and loved it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Options

I started it at 3-4 months post-partum (after milk supply was well-established) I lost 17lbs in 3 months. It is an easy plan once you get used to it. (takes about a week or two to get used to it.) I did the online program which was great because you can log in whenever you  have time and track your eating/exercise. Get a food scale and and good measuring cups.

FYI: I nursed my son with no issues until he was 14 months old. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"