Postpartum Depression

Antidepressants and Pregnancy

Hi All - I'm on this board since all of you are dealing with or have dealt with depression, even if more PP.  About 1 1/2 years ago I started having some serious anxiety and depression problems, which turned out to be largely related to a hormonal imbalance.  But, about 3 months ago the depression returned, and now I'm back on antidepressants.  I really feel like at this point in time it's the only way I'm functioning, and they have been really helpful.  

To the point of telling you this on this board - I was curious if any of you stayed on antidepressants while pregnant.  I would prefer not to, but would like to TTC in about a year.  I'm worried about coming off of them, but I'm more worried that I'd cause some health issues to a baby by staying on them pregnant.  What's a girl to do? 

Re: Antidepressants and Pregnancy

• Im sorry your feeling like this.  I too suffered from depression and anxiety due to a hormonal inbalance and was put on antidepressants.  Because I didn't want to take BC to try and level out my hormones I became pregnant. Even though I had heard that some antidepressants can be safe during pregnancy I decided that I would proably have more anxiety just the thought that there was even a slight chance that I would be doing some wrong to my baby by taking them so I weened off of them a couple of months ago.  I've been doing great so far.   Question for you-  Do you think that your depression is caused by another hormonal inbalance or is it circumstantial?  I ask because if there is something going on in your life that is causing you to feel depressed the best thing to do may be to talk to a counselor or psychiatrist and get some talk therapy as well.  That I know is 100% safe during pregnancy ;)

photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• I took my antidepressant during pregnancy.  For me, the benefits outweighed any risks.  I weaned myself off before becoming pregnant.  Once I was pregnant, my body rebelled, and things got bad. 

My daughter came on time, healthy, and did not suffer any withdrawals.  But this is just my experience.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I stayed on my medication while pregnant (Lexapro and Wellbutrin). I tried to wean off of the Lexapro before becoming pregnant and it was not good - much more depressed. So, OB and I both decided it was worth it for me to stay on it. I am so glad that I did because I ended up having some complications, and I think that it would have been much more difficult for me to handle had I not stayed on my medication. I also see a therapist (and I am a psychologist, incidentally!) and have good supports - and I definitely used all of them during my pregnancy. At the end of the day, it's a very personal decision. Staying on the meds was the right decision for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would talk to your PCP or OB if you are concerned about taking antidepressants during pregnancy. I stayed on Zoloft throughout my entire pregnancy. I asked about going off of it due to all the negative attention. My doctor said it would be more harmful to be off my medication because I wouldn't be able to properly take care of myself if I slipped back into my depression. My son was born perfectly healthy! Remember to take care of yourself then you will be able to take care of others. Hope this helps!
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had been on Cymbalta for 5 years, and I tried 3 days without my medication and I was a mess. They put me on Zoloft because it is considered safer during pregnancy. The medication was necessary for me to function properly. Some people deal with depression for a short period in their life, and some have a lifelong battle. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"