Adoption

Adoption Tax Credit

Just curious if anyone had tried to contact their local Congressperson regarding the Adoption Tax Credit (HR4373) for the coming years.  I see from this site, the chances of the tax credit being extended are slim. I've contacted my Congressman (Gerlach who is on the committee).  His office assured me it will be passed, but without encouragement from the adoption community I don't see how this will happen.  You can also 'like' the Ways and Means Committee on FB and try to get some conversation going there too.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr4373
Our adoption was finalized January 2012!

Re: Adoption Tax Credit

• I did last time, but not yet this time. Off to find out who my Congressperson is ::blushes::
  • I just emailed my Congressman, too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have emailed mine and I bugged my friends and relatives,too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kacellekacelle member
    Everything I've seen has made the chances of a credit (particularly a refundable credit) seem very slim.  I emailed my Congressman and I'll nudge my friends and family in the right direction!
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I just emailed my congressman and posted on FB for others to do the same.  If anyone is stumped on what to write, let me know and I'll share the email I sent. :)
  • Hello!  I found this information originally posted by MBrode to be extremely helpful: 

There was a discussion below on how the adoption tax credit is set to expire. It's sometimes hard to know how to make a difference so I dug up some info.

Good info here:  https://adoptiontaxcredit.org/advocate/

How to find your Senator: https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

How to find your state rep: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ 

Sample email to send to both your Senator and State Rep - please note there is a space in the second paragraph to add your personal story. 

I am writing to ask you to support the adoption tax credit, which is set to expire on December 31, 2012. Since 1997, the adoption tax credit has helped tens of thousands of parents offset the high cost of adoption, making it possible for them to provide children with loving, permanent families.The adoption tax credit is especially important to me and my family because?(Tell Congress why you care. Your Members of Congress value your voice!)If Congress does not take action, the current adoption tax credit will expire at the end of 2012. The credit will be reduced to $6,000, and will only benefit the few families that adopt children with special needs and have qualified adoption expenses. Most families adopting children from foster care, intercountry adoption, and domestic infant adoption will not receive any benefit. Without the adoption tax credit, many parents hoping to adopt will be unable to do so, and others will face great financial hardship. The adoption tax credit is essential to ensuring that as many children as possible find the forever families they deserve and ensuring that those families are in a more stable financial position to provide an environment where children can thrive.The adoption tax credit must be extended to help as many children as possible find the permanent, loving family they need and deserve. And for 2012 it should be made refundable again so that most adoptive families will benefit from it. The best adoption tax credit would be permanent, refundable, inclusive of all types of adoption, and remain a ?flat? tax for children with special needs. On behalf of the countless children waiting to be adopted, and the many thousands of families that stand to benefit from the adoption tax credit, thank you for your attention to this important issue.Sincerely,NAME
    CITY, STATE

EMAIL ADDRESS / PHONE NUMBER 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"