Babies: 9 - 12 Months

anyone else not doing a smash cake?

My DD's birthday is next Sat.  I'm having a party.  I want all the cute pics of her eating a smash cake, but she's not eating ANY finger foods yet.  None.  I can't bring myself to make a cake for her to destroy.  Maybe a cupcake, then she'll probably just throw it on the floor.  Who's with me on this?  Anyone else not gonna bother with a smash cake?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: anyone else not doing a smash cake?

• We are not.  A small cupcake is a cute idea, but more likely than not, I'll probably just give her a slice of birthday cake like everyone else at the party will get. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We will do a cupcake.

I don't want her eating an entire cake and I don't want to waste an entire cake either. 

She does well with finger foods. 

I don't think the point is so much that they eat it, but more that they get messy and act cute for pictures :)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • We didn't provide a cake/cupcake for DD to smash and we don't have plans to have DS do it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't doing one.  She will have a piece of the cake.   I don't think smash pictures are cute and they are a waste of money and cake.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• unclench ladies.  LOL!

The amount of "food that is wasted" is pretty minimal.  The ingredients for a tiny cake take very few ingredients. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageLalaMama81:

This is one of those things I don't really get. We did a cupcake w/ DD1 and still had funny pictures of her w/ icing on her face, etc. I hate wasting food, so to let them go to town on more than a cupcake seems silly to me. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion, but oh well. 

Does your DD not like finger foods? Or you haven't given her any?  

I've tried puffs, fruit, veggies, waffles, yogurt bits, pasta, toast strips, teething biscuits, peas and beans.   I saw a puff make it into her mouth.  I guess she didn't like it and never tried again.  I still have to mash or puree everything.  Good to know I'm not alone with the smash cake.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm with Katie! I've seen dumber things. Live a little people!

That said, we are not doing one. It's just not for me and we are getting an ice cream cake instead...she'll be getting a big slice of that!

• I think the smash cake is a cute idea.  Its not THAT much waste of food (very small cake, not much bigger than a large cupcake) and makes for some cute pictures.  And oh the face they make when they get sugar for the first time! 

That being said, I've seen the cupcake idea before and it is cute as well.  If she looks at you like you are from Mars if/when you give her the food, put a dot of frosting on your finger for her to try. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just gave DS a cupcake at his party last night. At first he looked at it like he had no clue what to do with it. I had to rip a piece of and feed it to him, then he grabbed the cupcake and started biting around it.  I don't get the whole concept of making a separate smash cake either, we also didn't have a groom's cake at our wedding (gasp!)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I work in a local grocery store, in the bakery department. the store sends out coupons for a free birthday cake until the child reaches.12. My manager is so excited to make her ?smash? cake. Its fun! Its not that big of a waste, and they don't eat nearly add much as you would think.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • We did not. I think it's dumb. And I hate pictures of food all over babies' faces. 
  • imageLalaMama81:
    I don't think it's a "relax" or "unclench," kind of issue for me. I'm not worried about her eating sweets that day, even if it ends up being a lot (knowing her eating habits, she'll go to town). I'm cheap and hate wasting, regardless of the size of the cake - and all the ones I've seen have definitely been bigger than a "big" cupcake. I'm not wasting my time to make one or money to buy one, either. Regardless of the waste issue, I find them silly. I certainly don't care if someone else does it. It's not something I would get up in arms over. (until this thread apparently!)

I agree with this.  I have seen regular size cakes in the smash cake pictures.  I don't find cake all over a baby cute.  It just isn't something we plan to do.  I see it as a waste of money to make or buy a specific cake just so a baby can smash it everywhere.   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Our grocery store gives babies free first b-day cakes. They are small and cute.  DS's pics of him smashing his first cake are adorable.  We took the pics ourselves, so we were out nothing for the smash cake and pictures.  I think it was the most enjoyed part of his birthday party.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • imageLalaMama81:
    I don't think it's a "relax" or "unclench," kind of issue for me. I'm not worried about her eating sweets that day, even if it ends up being a lot (knowing her eating habits, she'll go to town). I'm cheap and hate wasting, regardless of the size of the cake - and all the ones I've seen have definitely been bigger than a "big" cupcake. I'm not wasting my time to make one or money to buy one, either. Regardless of the waste issue, I find them silly. I certainly don't care if someone else does it. It's not something I would get up in arms over. (until this thread apparently!)

Please point me to the poster who was "up in arms" over this?  Confused

• nfrtnynfrtny member
    imagekatie4253:

imageLalaMama81:

She said "It's not something that I would get up in arms over." So, she wouldn't get up in arms over it (until this thread apparently!)

Its really annoying to me that every time I come to this board and read posts you're being defensive and rolling your eyes at people.  

• imagenfrtny:
    imagekatie4253:

imageLalaMama81:

She said "It's not something that I would get up in arms over." So, she wouldn't get up in arms over it (until this thread apparently!)

Its really annoying to me that every time I come to this board and read posts you're being defensive and rolling your eyes at people.  

Defensive?  Yeah.  No.   Many gals on thebump think disagree = up in arms.  No one in this post has been up in arms. 

I find it hilarious you think I am always rolling my eyes at people.  I think I've done it a whopping 1 time in recent weeks, except for the spammer that came on and harassed the board.  

Be annoyed if you want.  But, that's a lot of energy to expend on someone you don't know.  Or, should I say...Confused

• imageSailorGray:
    Our grocery store gives babies free first b-day cakes. They are small and cute.  DS's pics of him smashing his first cake are adorable.  We took the pics ourselves, so we were out nothing for the smash cake and pictures.  I think it was the most enjoyed part of his birthday party.

Which stores do this?  I'd love to know!

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • imageSoxFan777:

imageSailorGray:
    Our grocery store gives babies free first b-day cakes. They are small and cute.  DS's pics of him smashing his first cake are adorable.  We took the pics ourselves, so we were out nothing for the smash cake and pictures.  I think it was the most enjoyed part of his birthday party.

Shaws!  

• imagekatie4253:
    imageSoxFan777:

imageSailorGray:

Shaws!  

YAY!  I live in New England, after all!  :) 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • I got a smash cake!  I can't wait for DD to dive into it!!  
  • I wanted to buy a smash cake, but the bakery messed up her cake and we had to find something very last minute.  We got a huge individual cupcake at Kroger for her to smash. It was like four times the size of a regular cupcake. 
  • we are doing a smash cake for ds. the total cost of his smash cake is free. nothing wasted cute pictres gained. I hate my son being dirty but on his first birthday I'm letting him have fun ,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"