Military Families
Options

Random Question about drinking in uniform

DH and I got tickets to a soccer game tonight and he was asked to participate in the opening ceremonies, which requires him to be in uniform. The game is about an hour from home and we were going to go to dinner first, also the venue has a ton of beer tents. What is the policy about drinking in uniform? We've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a straight answer. It's never come up before either. TIA
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Random Question about drinking in uniform

• Options
    this is definitely a no.  I am not sure what bas eyoure at but our home page has the regs on it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My H has always said that there is no drinking at all in uniform.  I would bring a change of clothes so he can enjoy without having to worry about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's kinda what we figured. Thanks!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have none of you been to a dinning out, ball, or any other military celebration? You can drink in uniform. Have a beer or two but don't get wasted and don't go to a bar in uniform. 
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I second Lemon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If there's no drinking in uniform, then I know of a *lot* of people at a NG officers and nco's conference that would be in some serious trouble.  The alcohol was flowing, though I don't know that anyone really got smashed before they changed out of uniform.  They also served wine with dinner, so I think it's more a "drink, but be sensible about it" thing instead of no drinking - unless the CO's have said "no drinking in uniform". 

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

It actually depends on the branch of service and the uniform in question.  To the person who said it's only ok in a dress uniform while at a military function, have you ever been to a military wedding?  Those aren't military functions.  

Below is the wording in the Army Reg concerning alcohol while wearing ACUs.  It never says you can't drink in the uniform, only that you can't go in bars or to places where your activities center on drinking alcohol.  It doesn't say you can't have a beer.  However, there are many, many commands who say no alcohol while wearing your ACUs.  When in doubt, ask your command.  

PERSONNEL WILL NOT WEAR THE ACU IN OFF-POST ESTABLISHMENTS THAT PRIMARILY SELL ALCOHOL. IF THE OFF-POST ESTABLISHMENT SELLS ALCOHOL AND FOOD, SOLDIERS MAY NOT WEAR THE ACU IF THEIR ACTIVITIES IN THE ESTABLISHMENT CENTER ON DRINKING ALCOHOL.

• Options

WTH? Where did all my posts go? I replied to quite a few! Can anyone else see my posts? Did the mod delete them? I didn't say anything bad! I didn't even curse

Whatever, I give up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP February 2011; DD born October 15, 2011
    CP: December 2012
    Miscarriage: February 2013
    Blighted Ovum: July 2013
  • Options
    imagebarefootandboots:

WTH? Where did all my posts go? I replied to quite a few! Can anyone else see my posts? Did the mod delete them? I didn't say anything bad! I didn't even curse

Whatever, I give up. 

I cannot speak for the other mod, but I did not delete your posts.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

As to answer your question, if there wasnt drinking in uniform, then every base I have been stationed at was in direct violation.  From ABUs to Blues to Mess Dress, I have seen it all.

HOWEVER, one should always be cognizant of one's location and what one's command has decreed.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    imageIlumine:
    imagebarefootandboots:

Whatever, I give up. 

Wasn't me either. I'm noticing a few things missing. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    imageIlumine:
    imagebarefootandboots:

Whatever, I give up. 

Wasn't me either. I'm noticing a few things missing. 

It's an ongoing issue they can never seem to correct. 

• Options
    I get that I am writing too late for this to be useful, but you can totally drink in uniform!  Obviously the servicemember is representing his/her branch and needs to be aware of that, but I have had a great time in Vegas in my dress blues.  That's the whole point of staying in uniform, to get free drinks!
  • Options

imageBeckyTheEngineer:

That's the whole point of staying in uniform, to get free drinks!

LOL.

No.

Just, no.  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options

imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    I get that I am writing too late for this to be useful, but you can totally drink in uniform!  Obviously the servicemember is representing his/her branch and needs to be aware of that, but I have had a great time in Vegas in my dress blues.  That's the whole point of staying in uniform, to get free drinks!

0_o  Please be kidding. 

• Options

I think there is a lot of gray area here.

Can you drink in uniform (as a general question)?  Yes.  Weddings, dining outs, etc - are often in uniform.  The O-Club bar is a common gathering place after work (in uniform).  blah blah blah.

But it is a "if you have to ask if this is wrong it probably is" kind of thing where you need to show discretion and be smart about where you are and how much you drink. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options
    imageiluvmytxrgr:

imageBeckyTheEngineer:

0_o  Please be kidding. 

Depending on where you are at in the country, plenty of veterans and patriotic folks enjoy buying a drink for a Marine.  No, I am not talking about just throwing on a uniform for the h*ll of it to freeload, but if I was in a uniform for a reason, then what is the big deal about accepting a drink?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"