Success after IF

Success you might attribute to a supplement for sperm count?

Hi everyone,

I am obviously not pregnant yet.  It has been 2 yrs and 2 mos. for us and we are starting to go through initial testing.  DH has had one SA done and he has low sperm count.  Second SA comes next week. We are not excited about the possibilities of IUI or IVF if it comes to that.  We would so much rather have things work out naturally.  Natural may be unrealistic though.

Has anyone had success conceiving naturally after having their DH go on a vitamin/supplement that was supposed to help with sperm count?   I know there are a few supplements out there but don't know whether they have really helped anyone.  Any feed back would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Success you might attribute to a supplement for sperm count?

• My RE told us that the majority of OTC supplements and vitamins for mens are a waste of time.  Now, if he has a hormonal imbalance, that could be treated with injections or something like clomid.  I'd recommend seeing a urologist too, because they could look for blockages or physical reasons as well.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• My DH was able to improve his MFI to what was considered borderline by use of supplements, eating organic, TCM herbs, decreasing caffeine and alcohol and doing weekly acupuncture. However, then we found out I was DOR, so we had to do IVF anyway. 

Changing environmental factors can improve MFI, but it does take 3 months to see a difference. If you can find an acu who specializes in fertility, it wouldn't hurt for your DH to check it out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • FWIW, I think all of us would have preferred to have been able to conceive our children naturally, but...that wasn't in the cards for us. Not to put words in anyone else's mouth, but I wouldn't trade my IVF baby for 100 babies conceived naturally. He is my world, and I will feel the same way about a second child should our upcoming IVF cycle give us another miracle.

Having said that...ditto PP's suggestions. I would definitely seek out a urologist, look into acupuncture, and have your DH cut out any environmental factors that may be impacting his sperm count. Good luck.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• My DH also had a low sperm count. He had several SAs done to make sure it wasn't a fluke. He went to a urologist and no blockage was found. He did have low testosterone. He took clomid for 2 months and we saw a big improvement on his count. 

We then got pregnant after two IUIs and I also took clomid.

If you aren't into the IUIs and medical intervention then you could always wait more time. Eventually you might come to that place where you will do anything for a child but maybe you just aren't there yet. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I was just lurking on this board and thought I'd comment.

My husband has been on 3 supplements, HCG injections, and Letrozole and his sperm count has gone from 2 million to 7 million in 6 weeks.  It's still very low, but we're hoping it will continue to go up and we'll be candidates for IUI instead of IVF with ICSI which was the original plan. 

When on Clomid with another RE his Sperm count went from 2 million to 0.  

Good luck!

Anniversary
    Married 9/29/2007
    TTC 11/2010
    Me: HSG 4/2012 Tubes Clear, Hypothyroid, PCOS
    DH: MFI, SA #1 2 million, SA #2 no sperm, SA #3 7 million total
    DH is now on HSG shots 2x week, 2.5 MG Letrozole 2x week, Vitamin B Complex, 600 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, and 400 mg CoQ-10.
    UPDATE:
    3/2013 IUI with Femara, BFN
    4/2013 IUI with Femara, BFN
    5/2013 IUI with Femara, BFN
    8/2013 IVF with Femara, Bravelle, and Lupron, 4 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 3 grade 2 Blastocysts transferred day 5, BFN
    8/2013 Exploring domestic infant adoption

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"