Baby Showers

Gender Reveal Baby Shower...

So I am probably going to have a Gender Reveal Baby Shower... but with a twist!

My husband and I are going to know what we're having, and the gender will be a surprise for our guests. (Most importantly, my mom and MIL!)

** I know I am going to receive gender neutral gifts... and since we're planning on having more than one child, I am HAPPY to have Gender Neutral things!

Soooo my question is, other than cutting into a cake and it being either PINK or BLUE... what is ANOTHER CREATIVE idea to surprise everyone?? I want to do something out of the ordinary and FUN! :)

Re: Gender Reveal Baby Shower...

• I suppose a cake should probably be fine. I would consider having the grandparents-to-be over for a small dinner and revealing to them alone. The other guests might not really care so much. 

I don't want to ruin your plans but as a guest I wouldn't find it fun or exciting. Other than grandparents and parents I can't imagine anyone caring that much to find out.

My sister is having a baby soon and I am extremely excited for the child but I couldn't have cared less if it was a girl or boy.

• imageblush64:

I don't want to ruin your plans but as a guest I wouldn't find it fun or exciting. Other than grandparents and parents I can't imagine anyone caring that much to find out.

this x's 1000

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually would find it fun and exciting...probably more so than other shower "games"! I wouldn't have a *preference* either way if a friend was having a boy or girl, but it would be fun to find out at a party. Just MHO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's a fine idea. I'd be kind of excited to find out if you were my friend. And while I think that a separate sex reveal party is obnoxious, it might be a fun addition to the shower, especially if no one knew you were revealing at the shower.

I would talk about this with you mom/MIL because they might feel alittle slighted finding out with the rest of your friends.

another idea:

having cupcakes where only one has a gender specific colored filling. everyone goes around and takes a bite until the sex is revealed. (your host should know which one it is so that it isn't the first one.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wouldn't the host of the shower need to know as well?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• A - dont' call it a "gender reveal baby shower".  Just call it a baby shower, then just happen to reveal what the sex is.

B - it's really only a surprise once, so I'm not sure why you need multiple ideas on how to surprise people.  Once the cake is cut- everyone will know. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• We've had a similar discussion on here before, and I'm kind of surprised that more than one person thought it would be a fun idea.  Most stuff you'll use in the first year will be gender neutral to begin with (aside from clothes, but those get ruined pretty quickly and many won't survive from child to child, plus you'll have to supplement yourself and will surely not  buy only gender neutral until you have a second).

As a guest, I can't say I'd be all hyped up over a gender-reveal/shower, but it's your gig, not mine. 

Other than the been-there-done-that reveal cake, you could have a couple boxes filled with helium balloons with streamers attached to match your gender colour and have a couple of the most-excited (read: future grandparents / aunts) open them in front of the other guests. Instant decorations.

ETA: I'm also approaching this from a rather biased perspective because I kind of hate gender-reveals altogether. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did this but it wasn't a shower..nobody brought gifts or anything like that..but I kept it just family & very close family friends! & everybody loved it!! My MIL to this day keeps talking about how awesome it was & it was 6 weeks ago.. I had beads & everybody wore what color they thought it was & my sister who hosted it googled old wives tale questions on if its a boy & girl & they were right.. but it was a blast! I don't think i could have waited to tell everybody til my shower though after finding out.. cause for me that would have been 10 weeks!

As for another idea other than cake.. i guess you guys could do some kind of blue or pink drink & reveal it that way... I'm not sure how that would work.. I did the cake & it worked out perfectly! :)

• I really can't see myself getting all that excited over the genitalia of someone else's child, even a close loved one.  So, to me, I'd be bored if it were made into a huge deal and focus of the shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was thinking of doing something like this but then passed. When I was researching ideas I came across a fun game. You made up favor bags with various candy bars in them at each place setting. The guests were supposed to guess what each bag had in common. 

For a boy you used: Snickers, peanut M&Ms, Almond Joy, etc...(they all have "nuts")

For a girl: Reese's cups, regular M&Ms, Mounds, etc...(they don't have "nuts")

I really liked the idea but worried if I were having a girl it would be impossible to guess.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really like the idea and plan on doing some sort of baby shower, gender reveal combo, as well.  We are also planning on finding out the sex of the baby before hand and just keeping it a secret until the reveal part of the shower.  I can't see doing a separate gender reveal party.

I really liked pp idea about the cupcakes where one is filled with pink or blue and the guest that gets that one gets to be the "first" to know.  That's really cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Personally I'm not interested what gender a woman is having...could care less.  It sounds like you definitely want to do this.  Just have the cake and have your mom and MIL cut the cake together (at the same time).  That way they will be the FIRST to know and won't feel "slighted".  I agree with the other pp that once you've "realed" the gender (with a cake or otherwise) it is OVER.

Obviously YOU will have to furnish the cake...otherwise your hostess would know before your mom or MIL.

• imagejami1006:

I was thinking of doing something like this but then passed. When I was researching ideas I came across a fun game. You made up favor bags with various candy bars in them at each place setting. The guests were supposed to guess what each bag had in common. 

For a boy you used: Snickers, peanut M&Ms, Almond Joy, etc...(they all have "nuts")

I really liked the idea but worried if I were having a girl it would be impossible to guess.  

Does anyone else find this to be a little skeevy?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagemommabear17:
    I really can't see myself getting all that excited over the genitalia of someone else's child, even a close loved one.  So, to me, I'd be bored if it were made into a huge deal and focus of the shower.

This.

• Thanks everyone!

My mom and MIL already sent out "normal" baby shower invites. I just thought it would be something fun to do at the shower. I've already talked to both of them about it and they seem really excited. (It's coming up... March 11th!)

It's just something nice I can do for them, since they are putting this beautiful shower together for me.

Like one of you said, it might be cute if THEY cut the cake together! Great idea!! The cupcake idea was also cute.... and I also like the boxed decorations idea. I may also try to incorporate pink and blue beads (or RIBBONS!) guests can put on to guess the gender before hand! Making a little game of it would be fun.

It definitely will not be the FOCUS of the shower. I was just trying to make it more exciting.

LMK if you think of anything else! :)  

• imagejami1006:

I was thinking of doing something like this but then passed. When I was researching ideas I came across a fun game. You made up favor bags with various candy bars in them at each place setting. The guests were supposed to guess what each bag had in common. 

Indifferent This is very strange.  And to be honest, a little on the creepy side IMO.

• we are doing this to, but we wont even know! I hope it all goes well, have fun!
  • imageEastCoastBride:

A - dont' call it a "gender reveal baby shower".  Just call it a baby shower, then just happen to reveal what the sex is.

B - it's really only a surprise once, so I'm not sure why you need multiple ideas on how to surprise people.  Once the cake is cut- everyone will know. 

This.  Just do the cake. I wouldn't care either way.  All I know is that I hate Baby Shower games more than anything. 

• I think the party is a great idea! I would think people would be really excited to find out the sex of the baby...to me its an exciting time! Another 'reveal' idea i've seen is filling a box of helium filled balloons so when you open the box (or present) the balloons pop out. So you'd do pink for a girl and blue for a boy. You could also do something else with the gifts since its a shower as well as a reveal party. Instead of the balloons one of the gifts could reveal the gender some other way...like a box full of confetti with the ultrasound picture inside, revealing the sex. 

Good luck with the party!  

• I think gender reveal parties are awful, and self indulgent. I think that revealing boy/girl at a shower that is already planned is a fine idea; if people are coming to your shower they clearly care about you, and your baby.

Have your decor be pink or blue. Helium balloons, plates, napkins, etc. No big "reveal!" moment, just a blanket, "It's a ________!!!" when the guests walk in. 

And to all the, "I couldn't care two shits if it's a boy or girl," are you for real? I mean, I get that you would be annoyed at a whole separate party specifically for this reason, but you "couldn't care less"? I mean, I love my friends, and their children, and I'd love all the children if the girls had been boys and the boys had been girls so I guess I didn't "care", but still...I could find it in me to participate in my friend's/sister's excitement. 

• imageMKESweetie:

And to all the, "I couldn't care two shits if it's a boy or girl," are you for real? I mean, I get that you would be annoyed at a whole separate party specifically for this reason, but you "couldn't care less"? I mean, I love my friends, and their children, and I'd love all the children if the girls had been boys and the boys had been girls so I guess I didn't "care", but still...I could find it in me to participate in my friend's/sister's excitement.  

Yup, very much for real.  I think that having a whole series of gender reveal party games/big dramatic tada about the whole thing is pretty obnoxious.  Would I gag audibly if I showed up at a party and the m2b was doing something like this?  No.  Would I be squeeing and jumping up and down while eating my Mounds bar?  No.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:
    imageMKESweetie:

Yup, very much for real.  I think that having a whole series of gender reveal party games/big dramatic tada about the whole thing is pretty obnoxious.  Would I gag audibly if I showed up at a party and the m2b was doing something like this?  No.  Would I be squeeing and jumping up and down while eating my Mounds bar?  No.   

If I wasn't already married I might ask you to be my life partner. 

• imageDO-JO:

If I wasn't already married I might ask you to be my life partner. 

It can be our own secret.  Let just not ask our moms to host our bridal showers.  
    OR, even better...why don't they have "Bride/Groom Reveal Parties"??? 

Get all your friends and family together and have a platter covered in whipped cream.  Everyone takes turns licking the whipped cream off to reveal a picture of your new spouse.  

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • image526SadieSadie:
    imageblush64:

this x's 1000

I think you are very wrong. I had a gender reveal party and my friends were over the moon excited. They screamed and cried when they saw the insides of the cakes. There were about 35 of my closest girlfriends there and it was a blast!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband and I had a reveal at our shower. We didn't know the gender before the shower. Only my neighbor and the doctor knew the gender. We did the reveal right at the beginning so that my husband could leave (he wanted nothing to do with the shower). My hostess ordered a large, custom fortune cookie for us to open at the shower. Instead of a fortune inside, it said if we were having a boy or a girl. My neighbor was kind enough to order the cookie, which was why she knew the gender. No one in my family wanted to know ahead of time - that would have ruined the surprise. It was fun! Afterwards we got to see the ultrasound picture, which was interesting due to obviousness of the gender. He sure wasn't shy! The whole thing was fun, but it was only a part of the shower, like one of the games. It was a good compromise between finding out the sex at week 20 and waiting until birth. Although, honestly, if we hadn't told folks we were doing a reveal, we would have waited.
  • *lurking*

I am another who thinks it is exciting to hear what gender it will be. I mean, it's one of the main questions asked (even by strangers) while you're pregnant. "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl"? No, they don't have to get all giddy and jump up and down during the shower but most are still curious what you get to have!

• imageJessieJ2:

*lurking*

I am another who thinks it is exciting to hear what gender it will be. I mean, it's one of the main questions asked (even by strangers) while you're pregnant. "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl"? No, they don't have to get all giddy and jump up and down during the shower but most are still curious what you get to have!

Of course it's the main question asked, it is always followed up with "what's the name?" what else are they going to ask?  Polite conversation does not necessarily equal interest.

• A stripper should jump out of a cake.  Male stripper if you're having a boy, female "dancer" if you're having a girl!  That's sure to keep their attention longer than waiting for every guest to take one bite of a cupcake.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imageLiz4444:
    imageJessieJ2:

*lurking*

Of course it's the main question asked, it is always followed up with "what's the name?" what else are they going to ask?  Polite conversation does not necessarily equal interest.

How many strangers do you say "Hi, how are you doing?" and then keep walking?  What all is there to talk to a pregnant lady about?  Most pregnant ladies love to talk about their fetus and that's the natural segway.  

Conversations, however, would be a lot more fun if you started with something like "Oh! You're pregnant--how exciting!  Were you on top or bottom when you conceived?  Ooh, reverse cowgirl?  I wish I could do that, but you know, my hips and all...."  But alas, it's way more socially acceptable to say things like "Oh, you're pregnant---how exciting!  Do you know what you're having yet?" 

• I think people are being a bit dramatic about how "ho hum, this is so boring" they would be.  Okay, you girls are too cool to be bothered.  Got it. 

I agree that gender reveal parties are over the top.  Self indulgent, annoying, blah blah blah.  But as a small addition to the shower festivities?  I think it is a good addition and a happy medium for people who want to make it more of an event than a sidenote at an anatomy scan. 

Would I be jumping out of my skin in excitement?  No.  But would I be excited to find out for my friend?  Yes.  If my friend is excited, I am usually excited.  And finding out the sex of the baby is an exciting time for couples.  I have no problem getting into that kind of happy anticipation.  Especially if it takes the place of one of the obnoxious "how much TP does it take to wrap around pregnant mom's waist" games Stick out tongue.

OP, I would just keep it simple.  I think having pink or blue ribbons/beads at the door so that the guests can show what their guess is cute.  Maybe have a little prize for people who get it correct.  Have the MILs cut the cake sometime mid-shower so that people who can't stay for the whole thing can be included.  I wouldn't do the cupcake thing (or any thing that takes more than 5-10 minutes)... 

Have fun!

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imageBallSox:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageJessieJ2:

*lurking*

How many strangers do you say "Hi, how are you doing?" and then keep walking?  What all is there to talk to a pregnant lady about?  Most pregnant ladies love to talk about their fetus and that's the natural segway.  

Conversations, however, would be a lot more fun if you started with something like "Oh! You're pregnant--how exciting!  Were you on top or bottom when you conceived?  Ooh, reverse cowgirl?  I wish I could do that, but you know, my hips and all...."  But alas, it's way more socially acceptable to say things like "Oh, you're pregnant---how exciting!  Do you know what you're having yet?" 

HA! If someone asked me this my answer would be "It involved a freakload of money, a ton of injections, many dates with a dildo cam, a lot of science and eventually, I was in stirrups with a doctor between my legs."

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageBlueDevilLady:

Im assuming the disinterested attitude comes from already having kids and having friends with kids...

This is our first baby and we're the first in our group of friends to have one..so for us, a casual cook-out where we reveal the gender to everyone would be very well received. Plus, we just like to get together and have parties. 

I don't think it's necessary to crap all over someone's idea just because you've all been there/done that.

(and yes I know I am like 6 days late on this but I was just really surprised by the feedback when I stumbled onto this thread) 

If that helps you rationalize why people think it's a dumb idea, then so be it.  However, I would have rolled my eyes at this 9 years ago when the first of my close friends/family started having kids.  I might have been more excited back in high school to play pink/blue games and eat tacos or hot dogs, but yeah--once I became an adult, I realized I can be happy for someone's healthy baby, not spastic tears because their baby has a penis. 

• imagesweetpea2003:

I think people are being a bit dramatic about how "ho hum, this is so boring" they would be.  Okay, you girls are too cool to be bothered.  Got it. 

I agree that gender reveal parties are over the top.  Self indulgent, annoying, blah blah blah.  But as a small addition to the shower festivities?  I think it is a good addition and a happy medium for people who want to make it more of an event than a sidenote at an anatomy scan. 

Would I be jumping out of my skin in excitement?  No.  But would I be excited to find out for my friend?  Yes.  If my friend is excited, I am usually excited.  And finding out the sex of the baby is an exciting time for couples.  I have no problem getting into that kind of happy anticipation.  Especially if it takes the place of one of the obnoxious "how much TP does it take to wrap around pregnant mom's waist" games Stick out tongue.

OP, I would just keep it simple.  I think having pink or blue ribbons/beads at the door so that the guests can show what their guess is cute.  Maybe have a little prize for people who get it correct.  Have the MILs cut the cake sometime mid-shower so that people who can't stay for the whole thing can be included.  I wouldn't do the cupcake thing (or any thing that takes more than 5-10 minutes)... 

Have fun!

THANKS so much!! It went GREAT....  :)

• i love the idea im doingone next week n idc if some people should be so rude think its a bore...n im sure all your friends will be excitied for you if there real friends..i like this ladys choices r cool n u can do something like candy bars that revel the gender inside the wrapper..n pass it to everyone n have them opean at same time..
  • hahahah wow...its a baby shower..but thats true if u have boring rude friends...
  • i couldnt agree more some people turn a event  that a woman who may have loss several babies thats supper happy over sharing with everyone what they will finally add to there family people r soo bothered n rude..ughhh..if thats what she wants let her im doing the same n were having our 2 other children announce it they have no clue what it is and screw it if people dont like my idea to bad..n the tp is so old...my theame ia what will it bee n its a baby bees yellow, black, white, reds..
  • imagecandyapples2012:
    agreeed!!!

1)  Stop digging up posts from February, it's weird. 

2) Decide if you can spell like an adult or if you need remedial English and stick to it.  

3) Learn to use the quote button so we know who in the hell you're talking about.  When you just reply randomly to different posts it makes you look like you're talking to yourself.  

• imagediscobelle:
    imageLiz4444:
    imagejami1006:

Does anyone else find this to be a little skeevy?

YES!

I'd stick with "pink or blue", and leave the baby's junk out of it.   

OR you could serve gentalia shaped food. Hotdogs and sausages or hamburgers and tacos...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"