Attachment Parenting
Options

Fluoride controversy.

Our town does not supplement water with fluoride. Although DD is 3, I am still on the fence about whether to give her supplements or not, or just to stick to topical (kids fluoridated toothpaste). I'm in the medical field, so its a challenge for me to not want to just go by what the CDC says (and AAP, etc), but I question the necessity of a liquid supplement on top of toothpaste. Curious to others thoughts on this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
IMG_0173.11
Trying for #2 since July 2010
BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!

Re: Fluoride controversy.

• Options
    I would suggest fluoridated toothpaste for 2 brushings a day. Our LO did not receive supplements, nor did we brush with fluoridated toothpaste until last year when I was shocked to hear from our pediatric dentist, that she had cavities between ALL of her molars! We are absolutely clean eaters and she was never bottle fed, so I was floored at the discovery. We introduced fluoride far too late (when she was 3 and a half) and I regret it immensely. How much fluoride would you be supplementing her with? Our pediatric dentist is an exceptionally well know international expert and oral health activist and he never mentioned a supplement for LO despite all of the cavity drama, so I'm not sure that this is necessary? Just buy fluoridated toothpaste and use religiously!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At what age are thtopical floride treatments possible? (the kind where they stick trays in your mouth?)I like the idea that they are getting more floride that way but that it's targeted to the teeth rather than ingesting it for the little bit that ends up there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MarseeMarsee member

My mom is currently in school to become a Naturopathic Doctor. The town where she goes to school stopped treating its water with flouride after the school presented it with facts about it. Flouride is not what is good for teeth. Flourine is. I'm not sure what the disconnect is and why other medical fields don't know about flourine, but flouride can be damaging to teeth over time. Flourine is found in goat's milk and that is what we will be giving DS.

ETA: OP, I've always loved your siggy pic. So cool. Smile 

imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMarsee:

My mom is currently in school to become a Naturopathic Doctor. The town where she goes to school stopped treating its water with flouride after the school presented it with facts about it. Flouride is not what is good for teeth. Flourine is. I'm not sure what the disconnect is and why other medical fields don't know about flourine, but flouride can be damaging to teeth over time. Flourine is found in goat's milk and that is what we will be giving DS.

Huh.  That's really interesting.  *Goes to do some research*   OP:  I was going to suggest those kid's flouride rinses that you use after you brush your teeth, but I guess that depends on how useful they actually are. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    nfrtnynfrtny member
    We do hae fluoride in our water, but I won't be giving any extra to DS. I never had any extra and I've never had a cavity. Some people are just prone to cavities, my sister had to have three filled when she was 7, and my brother also had to have quite a few filled at a young age, but me and my other sister haven't had any. Ever. 
  • Options
    imageMarsee:

Thank you! She's three now and still loves to be worn : )

IMG_0173.11
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.

• Options

imageTaylersMommy:
    I would suggest fluoridated toothpaste for 2 brushings a day. Our LO did not receive supplements, nor did we brush with fluoridated toothpaste until last year when I was shocked to hear from our pediatric dentist, that she had cavities between ALL of her molars! We are absolutely clean eaters and she was never bottle fed, so I was floored at the discovery. We introduced fluoride far too late (when she was 3 and a half) and I regret it immensely. How much fluoride would you be supplementing her with? Our pediatric dentist is an exceptionally well know international expert and oral health activist and he never mentioned a supplement for LO despite all of the cavity drama, so I'm not sure that this is necessary? Just buy fluoridated toothpaste and use religiously!

Is this what your dentist suggested, despite the presence of cavities? Cause this makes me feel better about just topical treatment (if thats what we do).

IMG_0173.11

• Options
    imageMarsee:

Not for nothing, but Flourine (atomic number 9) is a reactive element that requires great care when using it...and at its standard pressure and temperature, does not USE F directly.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

Excess amounts of fluoride can actually damage teeth and cause permanent pitting and discoloration in kids' adult teeth. I took fluoride supplements as a kid, and this happened to me, so I will absolutely not be giving any supplements to my son. Having brown teeth as a teenager is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

This article has some good info and also links to a CDC study. The condition, called dental fluoridosis, is actually more common than you might think.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Not only what everyone has already said, but the same process that happens in the teeth (calcium is replaced by flourine molecules) happens in the bones.  It is not clear (and studies are only just beginning, though not many at all) that long term use of fluoridated water does not compromise bone density.  There is some (very limited) evidence that it may contribute to hip fracture in the elderly population.

The idea of systemically treated the whole body for something that ought to be topically applied in one location is ludicrous to me.  So we got an RO filter for our water, which is fluoridated, and will be using topical fluoridated toothpaste (soon, but the dentist said not to yet) and (when appropriate) fluoride rinses.

IMG_8355
  • Options
    imageIlumine:
    imageMarsee:

Not for nothing, but Flourine (atomic number 9) is a reactive element that requires great care when using it...and at its standard pressure and temperature, does not USE F directly.  
    : )
    IMG_0173.11

• Options

My husband feels strongly that fluoride is a potentially harmful substance (I'm not sure I fully agree but he is very pro-natural/organic/homeopathic remedies and I respect his wishes). Our daughter has never drank tap or other flouridated water, brushed her teeth with flouride toothpaste or received flouride treatments at the dentist. We are very diligent about brushing and flossing and seeing the dentist and she is almost 4 now and has never had a cavity. 

• Options
    While I have not discussed this with my dentist I live in a city that does not have fluoride in the water and all the articles and health pamphlets I have received have simply emphasized the important of using tooth paste with fluoride and regular dentist visits so they can do the topical applications. Unless there is an indication we should do otherwise, this is what we will do. Our city does have a higher rate of cavities in young children than the surrounding cities with fluoridated water which affirms my belief that fluoride does provide a benefit but I agree with some concerns about too much of it so I wouldn't supplement even more.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTobioLovesAce:

Excess amounts of fluoride can actually damage teeth and cause permanent pitting and discoloration in kids' adult teeth. I took fluoride supplements as a kid, and this happened to me, so I will absolutely not be giving any supplements to my son. Having brown teeth as a teenager is an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

This article has some good info and also links to a CDC study. The condition, called dental fluoridosis, is actually more common than you might think.

I'm more of a lurker on this board, but I wanted to jump in on this too. I have a good friend who has brown adult teeth and just finally had them capped because of fluoride.  He had to go through his entire young adult life with two dark brown teeth right in the front.

I also have a cousin that had some minor coloring on her teeth as well. That is TWO people I know that had this problem. We use fluoride topically only.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We don't use flouride at all.  Not in the water, not in a rinse, not in application, not in our toothpaste.  We used to, but not anymore.  We don't have perfect teeth, but my teeth are much less damaged than they were when I was growing up (using flouride toothpaste and drinking flouridated water).  There is a book called Cure Tooth Decay that has been immensely valuable to myself and a friend.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTobioLovesAce:

This article says it is a cosmetic risk, not a health risk.

• Options
    imageegad76:
    imageTobioLovesAce:

This article says it is a cosmetic risk, not a health risk.

True, and that's still a quality of life issue. Would you enjoy having brown spotted teeth?

ETA to be more thorough: Obviously, it's a personal decision for you to research (hence posting the link) and make your own decision about. But personally, I feel that risk of long-term damage to my child's appearance and self-esteem is a risk that I would take seriously, even if it is not a typical "health" risk.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"