January 2011 Moms

Resume

Anyone have any good links they use for helpful tips on building a resume. I am at a total loss over here. I have to submit one to qualify for UE, and I find it so hard for some reason. Totally not like me,  but I am clueless right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Resume

• Here's what I do:

I use the resume template off of Word. It gives you the headings and what to include.

Then I'll go to the company I worked for and use their job description as a starting point as to what to list for my job descriptions. Then of course you add your own touches, accomplishments, highlights, etc.

And of course, save it so you can just add to it and improve it for when you are applying for a job. I'm guessing you don't have to get too fancy for UE.  

• I never thought about using the company description. I have my offer letter here some place. That should be a great starting point.  THANK YOU for the idea!!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • imageMarSamWhitney:
    I never thought about using the company description. I have my offer letter here some place. That should be a great starting point.  THANK YOU for the idea!!!!!!
    You are welcome!

Or you can check online...they may have the job posted. 

• Good luck with the Resume writing Marsam. I feel like I always need to change mine up. It is a pain to keep updated. I hope it went well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RedZeeRedZee member

I was mostly sending out a curriculum vitae which is a bit different because it's common for them to be 4 or 5 pages. But I started learning about resumes.

Using the job description to update your resume and cover letters is a great idea. You should use the job description you are applying for.

I have a few different formats. My friend sent me the format that she had to use when she was graduating Columbia business school. I didn't use the format because I felt like I lost some space. I can send you mine and hers if you're interested to see some formats. That said, I think using the Word template is a great idea.

The advice I kept seeing was that you have to tell a story and use your resume to present who you are to a potential employer. I was recently told that mine didn't highlight a certain area that I thought I was highlighting so if you can run it past a few people, it might be helpful (but also do what you think seems best).

For UE, I'd totally follow Lynny's advice.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"