January 2012 Moms
Options

How is your baby really sleeping?

There has been a few posts but let's lay it all out there.

My DD doesn't sleep very well at all. Never has. The first 3.5 months were horrible. She'd sleep for maaayyybe an hour at a time and then wake up. Then she had a stretch where she slept 11pm-2am and that was it! No naps either!

Then she started sleeping better and we'd say she is sleeping for 5-6 hours BUT that is with still having to get up every hour or so to put the f'n nuk back in or she'd completely wake up and whole hell would break loose.

There were only a few nights here and there where she'd actually sleep through the night. And I mean very few, like maybe 6-8 nights...

She also has never napped for more than 45 minutes when she actually started napping. She naps better now (up to an hour once or twice a day) but only in her bassinet which she has almost outgrown. OH but of course she does sleep at daycare for up to 2.5 hrs!!

Last night was good, 10pm-5am! But in general she's a very light sleeper. She goes down around 8 but wakes up a lot until about midnight, then she's finally really asleep and will give us up to 4 hours.

How is your baby sleeping?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How is your baby really sleeping?

• Options

She naps for 30 minutes and is awake for an hour and a half. She'll occasionally throw me off by taking an hour and a half nap. She gets about 2 to 3 hours of sleep during the day.

Although her naps suck she sleeps for 12 hours straight (sometimes 13). That part more than makes up for the days. 

• Options

She goes down for the night at 7 (if we're out, and she misses her bedtime, all hell breaks loose and she becomes a nightmare to put down). She will normally sleep to 6:30. Lately however, she's been getting up at 4 and staying up. Fun times.

Her only dependable nap is the one at 9am. It's about an hour and I can put her in her crib for that one. Otherwise, she demands to be held if I want her to nap.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSmittyPants:

She goes down for the night at 7 (if we're out, and she misses her bedtime, all hell breaks loose and she becomes a nightmare to put down). She will normally sleep to 6:30. Lately however, she's been getting up at 4 and staying up. Fun times.

Her only dependable nap is the one at 9am. It's about an hour and I can put her in her crib for that one. Otherwise, she demands to be held if I want her to nap.  

Ah yes, same here!

• Options
    My guy is pretty reliable, he goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes at 6:30 with 2 night feedings. He's slept a few times when he's only gotten up once. He naps for 45 minutes every hour and a half during the day. His last awake time before bed is about 2 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS is ridiculously bad at napping.  99% of the time he naps for 45 minutes, almost to the second.  Maybe a dozen times in the 5.5 months he's been here has he napped for longer than that.  His daycare has a schedule where, starting around 6 months old, they start putting them down for naps at 10 am and 2 pm.  Honestly right now that's a struggle because that means a seriously long stretch of awake time in the morning and evening, but the napping is a moving target so I'm just dealing with it.  The other day he took two naps only, and each one was only 30 minutes.  Disaster.

That said, his night sleep is better.  Since he was 8 weeks old we've been slowing trying to focus on getting him into a routine, allowing him some time to soothe himself, etc.  By probably 13-15 weeks we had cut out feeding overnight entirely.  He now has his last bottle around 6:15 and goes down for the night around 7:00 pm. We don't do some elaborate routine with music/ songs/ bath/ massage /puppetshow/ whatevertheeff... It's really just pajamas, book (sometimes), into the sleepsack, rock, then bed.  I swear the second he gets that sleep sack on he knows it's bedtime.  I rock him until he's looking like he's about to fall asleep then put him down.  Most of the time he wakes back up, thrashes around, fusses and whatnot, and then after 10 minutes or so will fall asleep.  The paci usually falls out during that process too but I won't go back in there unless he's fully melting down.

He'll sleep through until 4:00 am or so and then he starts fussing.  80% of the time he'll just stop after 10 minutes or so (I hear him over the monitor but don't go in there) and the other 20% of the time I have to go in there and just put his paci back in (and possibly turn him off of his stomach if he's landed that way in his nightly travels to all corners of the crib).   After that he's down until 6:15-6:30.  As a full disclosure, if it's after 5:15 and he will not stop the fussing, I strap him into the swing.  He'll then fall back asleep for another hour and I don't have to be up with the chickens.

I will say though, he is a very loud and rather rambunctious sleeper.  He flops around all parts of the crib, ends up in all manner of random positions and occasionally lodges body parts in the crib slats.  So I'd be lying if I said he just goes down and sleeps like an angel all night!

• Options
    imagekristinkoenig:

DS is ridiculously bad at napping.  99% of the time he naps for 45 minutes, almost to the second.  Maybe a dozen times in the 5.5 months he's been here has he napped for longer than that.  His daycare has a schedule where, starting around 6 months old, they start putting them down for naps at 10 am and 2 pm.  Honestly right now that's a struggle because that means a seriously long stretch of awake time in the morning and evening, but the napping is a moving target so I'm just dealing with it.  The other day he took two naps only, and each one was only 30 minutes.  Disaster.

That said, his night sleep is better.  Since he was 8 weeks old we've been slowing trying to focus on getting him into a routine, allowing him some time to soothe himself, etc.  By probably 13-15 weeks we had cut out feeding overnight entirely.  He now has his last bottle around 6:15 and goes down for the night around 7:00 pm. We don't do some elaborate routine with music/ songs/ bath/ massage /puppetshow/ whatevertheeff... It's really just pajamas, book (sometimes), into the sleepsack, rock, then bed.  I swear the second he gets that sleep sack on he knows it's bedtime.  I rock him until he's looking like he's about to fall asleep then put him down.  Most of the time he wakes back up, thrashes around, fusses and whatnot, and then after 10 minutes or so will fall asleep.  The paci usually falls out during that process too but I won't go back in there unless he's fully melting down.

He'll sleep through until 4:00 am or so and then he starts fussing.  80% of the time he'll just stop after 10 minutes or so (I hear him over the monitor but don't go in there) and the other 20% of the time I have to go in there and just put his paci back in (and possibly turn him off of his stomach if he's landed that way in his nightly travels to all corners of the crib).   After that he's down until 6:15-6:30.  As a full disclosure, if it's after 5:15 and he will not stop the fussing, I strap him into the swing.  He'll then fall back asleep for another hour and I don't have to be up with the chickens.

I will say though, he is a very loud and rather rambunctious sleeper.  He flops around all parts of the crib, ends up in all manner of random positions and occasionally lodges body parts in the crib slats.  So I'd be lying if I said he just goes down and sleeps like an angel all night!

haha, that's cute. My DD does the same. I can hear her feet smashing down into the mattress. And she will be facing the oposite end of the crib in the morning.

• Options

Be prepared to hate me.

My daughter goes to sleep at 8 and wakes up at 7ish (depending on whether her sister decides to jump her in the crib or not), will nap for 45 - 60 minutes in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and 25ish minutes in the evening.

She is starting to drop the evening nap, but this has been her routine for 2 1/2 months.  In my defense though, my first was an awful sleeper and didn't nap much until about 5 months old, so I also know the joys of the other side as well.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    imagedhviel:

Be prepared to hate me.

My daughter goes to sleep at 8 and wakes up at 7ish (depending on whether her sister decides to jump her in the crib or not), will nap for 45 - 60 minutes in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and 25ish minutes in the evening.

She is starting to drop the evening nap, but this has been her routine for 2 1/2 months.  In my defense though, my first was an awful sleeper and didn't nap much until about 5 months old, so I also know the joys of the other side as well.

You are right, I don't like you very much right now Stick out tongueWink

• Options

My DS is fairly consistent. He usually naps 45 mins in the morning, 1 1/2  hours in the afternoon and then a 30 min nap in the evening. He goes to bed between 8 and 8:30 and sleeps till 6:00AM, eats then back to sleep till about 8:00

If he's in his crib...which we've been trying to transition him to, he usually wakes up after an hour, then again in 20 mins...then again in 10 till we give in and put him in the RNP...sigh 

Married my best friend 5/2/2008
    TTC our first miracle since November 2010
    BFP 3/16/2011 Chemical Pregnancy 3/20/2011

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

ahh wth i'll reply here. this was nice to read actually because makes me more aware that i'm not the only one struggling with sleep.

while dd has gone through the night without eating (anywhere from 9-12 hours) since she was 14 weeks old, sleeping through the night i'm fairly certain has never actually happened. I'm not sure what wakes her up all the time, but it might be the flipping paci that falls out constantly, because i get up about 5 times a night to put it back in.

i'm really very seriously considering the cost of letting her cry it out and seeing if she'll go back to sleep without the paci. or at the very least, letting her fuss until she actually starts crying before i go put it in. I am usually living in fear that if i don't put it in IMMEDIATELY all hell will break loose and i'll be up for an hour or two. i created a paci monster i know.

during the day, we're down to 3 naps... that didn't happen til 4 months, before that she would nap for 30-45 minutes inconsistently... she was colicy too. that was hard. now that she takes 3 naps a day though, it's nice with something to somewhat count on... though I never know exactly when or how long they will be. it's basically a crap shoot from day to day... sounds like that's a lot of us tho so it's nice to not be alone.

i'll say this though: if she's not sleeping through the night by middle school or still needs a paci, i'll know we have a serious problem ;)

eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options
    We were blessed with an excellent sleeper, I take no credit myself.  He sleeps 8:30-7:30, 3-4 naps a day.  45 minutes at the shortest, usually takes one 1 1/2-2 hrs nap in the AM or afternoon.  He goes about 2 hrs. in between naps.  We never rock him to sleep (except occasionally when we want some extra cuddle time :)  ), just put him in his crib and he's usually out in about 5 minutes! Again, I take little credit- he pretty much did it all himself w/o sleep training.  Next time I have a feeling we will not be so lucky :/

Anniversary

• Options
    imageaboynamedbarry:

i'm really very seriously considering the cost of letting her cry it out and seeing if she'll go back to sleep without the paci. or at the very least, letting her fuss until she actually starts crying before i go put it in. I am usually living in fear that if i don't put it in IMMEDIATELY all hell will break loose and i'll be up for an hour or two. i created a paci monster i know.

I had the exact same issue, only she was demanding to nurse that often, and I kept doing it because I was also afraid if I let her full on cry, I'd be up for hours. I finally bit the bullet one day, and she only actually cried for maybe 10 minutes, then whined/fussed for maybe another 50, but it was totally manageable. After 3 days, she realized I wasn't coming in so readily, and she stopped. I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to me! FWIW, I stayed in the room and comforted her the whole time, I didn't leave her to cry it out (basically the sleep lady shuffle). 

• Options
    You're gonna hate me....he wakes up around 6am and then takes two naps for 2-3 hours each, daily.  He typically goes down between 7 and 9.  I "top him off" at 11pm by changing his diaper and feeding him a bottle.  He never really wakes up during this.  I am considering not topping him off tonight to see whether or not he'll sleep through the night....I probably will go in there on second thought!
    image. image. image.
  • Options
    We do the Babywise routine, so we have taught good sleeping habits from day one. LO sleeps 11-12 hours at night, from 7pm-7am. Then he has a bottle, we play for an hour and a half and then it's nap time for an hour and a half. This is his schedule all day long. The routine is nice for both of us. LO knows what to expect throughout the day. Sometimes he can go two hours without a nap, but we just watch his tired cues, he rubs his eyes, or burries his face in the carpet. We always lay him down awake and he is asleep in 5 minutes or less with no fussing.  I could say we are lucky, which we are because LO is a very good baby. But I would also like to take some credit for it. Although, yes, we have rocked him to sleep a few times when he was a small baby, we never got in the habit of that because I knew it would cause bad sleeping habits later. Don't hate me please, but naptime and bedtime is a very easy experience every day. A family that gets to sleep all night is a happy family!
  • Options
    DD STTN she is usually asleep by 930p and I wake her a 630a for DC. On the weekends she is usually sleep by 10p and wakes up on her own at 930a. She really doesn't nap well maybe 20-45mins 2-3x a day and I am ok with that because she sleeps well at night.
  • Options
    sanbrysanbry member
    Mine slept through the night until 4 months. Now it's a crap shoot. She sometimes wakes several times a night to just fuss. Usually she will go right back down, sometimes I have to rock the RNP and sometimes if she wakes up around 430 I have to feed her to get her back down. Usually she's in bed 8-630. I have to force her to nap and she's still swaddled or she will only nap 20 min:/ I'm desperately trying to get her into a routine and stop swaddling but it just hasnt worked. 
  • Options

First of all, hi ladies!! I haven't posted since before LO was born! Missed talking with you! Big Smile

She sleeps pretty well now. The first month was hell since she had bad reflux. We put her to bed between 7:30 and 8pm. Sometimes she wakes up (she "swims" herself into the side of the crib, lol) and we adjust her, but she doesn't wake up to eat again until between 5 and 6:30am.

If she does wake up in the night, we listen to her babble to herself for awhile and then she puts herself to sleep.

HOWEVER, she does NOT like to nap!! I can only get her to take good naps when she sleeps on me, which means that when she goes to daycare Mondays and Tuesdays she gets almost no sleep, and then sleeps on me most of the day Wednesday.... Gotta say though, I like my Wednesday snuggles! Stick out tongue

• Options
    My kid is a crappy napper. We also have zero consistency despite my best efforts. He'll fall asleep anywhere between 8 and 10pm and after thats its a gamble. Most nights he's up at 2, then at 4 then at 7. Very rarely does he sttn and event more rare is a nap during the day which means he is usually super tired/grumpy around 3 or 4pm but he fights a nap all the time. And this makes it hard for dh because he works and is home with him all day. So he maybe gets 3 hours of sleep a day and that doesnt happen until I get home from work to take over. Its very frustrating and I hate that everyone tells me his sleep will get better because it wont.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD sleeps 10-13 hours at night straight through.  She usually goes down between 7:45-9:00 depending on her last bottle (because of her reflux we have to wait at least 3 hours between bottles or it's too much too soon.  We've tried smaller bottles closer together at night but she flips out if it isn't her normal amount).  She typically goes about 3.5 hours between bottles, but if she happens to go closer to 4 because of a nap then things get pushed back a bit.

Naps are pretty unpredictable though.  Her first nap is always an hour after she wakes up and lasts 45m-1 hour.  After that she naps sporadically and only for 30-45 minutes at a time, though I've started rocking her after she wakes up from her mid-afternoon nap because she's still cranky and tired.  I can usually get another 30-45 minutes from this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Options
    Some nights he STTN and some he wakes 1-2 times for his paci. Goes to bed around 6:45 PM and is up for the day around 7:00 AM.
    DSC_2211

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My DD started to sleep for several hours when she was about one month old, she woke up several times at night but eat and went back to sleep. I stopped waking her up to eat and just waited for her to wake up on her own and it was the best thing I could have done. Now she goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 6am. 

In the other hand naps have always been a nightmare, during her first 3 months she barely slept during the day. Then she started taking 3 naps of 1 or 2 hours, I was over the moon but at 4.5 months she went back to fight naps. Now she cries every time I try to put her down and will not sleep longer than half hour. I can barely do anything during the day because she wants me to hold her all the time.

image image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lrw327lrw327 member
    You all are going to totally hate me (as do all my local mommy friends!) but I have never known a sleepless night with my DD (shes my first, so I'm sure all my future babies will be awful sleepers!!! lol, I probably have it coming for me!!). From birth she has slept through the night, and I am not exaggerating here, not even a little bit!! First night after birth she slept 10 hours and now sleeps 12-13 hours. Naps 3 times a day for about 5 hours total. Shes a dream baby, literally!:) She is completely bottle/formula fed though, so everyone tells me this has everything to do with her being such an amazing sleeper, but my husband was the same exact way, always slept through the night from day one and was breast fed, so who knows!? Either way I'm just super grateful!!:)
  • Options
    Like I posted on another thread, I only just now crib trained.  I'm hoping it'll even out soon as he gets used to it.  For now, he wakes every 2 hours to feed and fusses for 10 minutes before going back to sleep.  He takes probably 3 naps during the day, but they're on me or in the car only (although DH did get DS to sleep on him a couple times).  Depending on how he adapts to being in the crib, I'll probably give him a few minutes when he wakes starting in a week or two.  However, considering his old schedule included bedsharing and waking about every hour to feed, the current schedule is much improved.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

meh. sometimes it's great and sometimes it really really sucks. mostly the "Great" times are only naps these days. he'll go down in the crib every so often for over an hour and I feel like a new woman. 

he used to sleep good stretches at night but that all went to heII around four months. Last night he slept one 6 hour stretch and I swear that was the first time in a looooong time that's happened. Naturally I only got to sleep 4 of those hours so I didn't get to benefit too much.

We are going to sleep train in August I think. we're going to be out of town on and off all of July so it's really no use doing it sooner. This makes me feel so hopeless sometimes becuase I really really just need some effing sleep already.

BUT! I know it will pass. And soon. My 3-year-old was a terrible sleeper, even worse than this I think, and eventually it passes and we'll sleep and I'll look at my boys and not see a shred of baby left in either of them. And I'll be all "ohhhh... rememeber when they were BAYBEEEEEZ!?!?" 

<<eyeroll at my future self>> 

• Options
    lrw327lrw327 member
    I am just curious, do any of you find that your bottle/formula fed babies sleep better at night than breast fed babies, or is it pretty much the same? DD has been on the bottle and formula fed since day one and everyone tells me thats why she has always slept through the night since day one. Our doctor warned us of "sleep regression" once she started teething but she has been hardcore teething for two months and yeah, none of that, she still sleeps perfectly!:)
  • Options

Rhys has always been a terrible sleeper.

First few months he was up every 2 hours. Now we are at about every 4 hours. If teething is bothering him, it's every 3hours. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • Options
    Piper sleeps like a champion! She barely slept for the first 8 weeks, then a switch flipped and she started STTN. She is currently FF, though we started off BF.
    BFP #1 : 05.08.11 : EDD : 01.16.12 : DOB : 01.15.12
    BFP #2 : 12.26.12 : EDD : 09.08.13 : DOB : 09.03.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"