Austin Babies

Anyone besides DH at ultrasound?

Tomorrow we have our ultrasound to determine the sex of the baby.  I had planned on it being just me and DH like the other visits, but then my mom asked if she could come.  I talked to DH about it, and at first he seemed a little hurt that I wanted her and not all of the grandparents, but now he says it would be ok with him.  Did you take your mom or anyone else to this type of appointment?  Thanks for the help!

Re: Anyone besides DH at ultrasound?

• Our office would only let 2 extras in so I had my mom come and wait w/ the two kids in the waiting room.  Both kids wanted to come back and I couldn't tell one yes and not the other so that was our solution.
    I considered taking my mom but the kids didn't like that idea.

• I wouldn't, but then I'm not real close to my dad and my mom isn't in the picture. DH is only close wth his dad and he's just not like that.

The only reason I would say maybe to avoid it is to not hurt his parents feelings. It seems like a bit much to have everyone there for the U/S. Can you plan to meet them all for coffee/lunch/dinner afterwards and do a little "reveal"? Like just walk in with a pink or blue bow on your belly or something silly like that? Or have mini boy/girl gifts for them to open?

I do feel it's awkward for your mom to put you in that situation by asking. But that's just me.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I only wanted Jay at the ones we've had recently but after this next appointment (in 3 weeks) to check on Baby B's kidney, I plan on asking my mom and grandma if they'd like to come since it's a "new-fangled technology" and something I bet they'd enjoy. 

:)

For the big ultrasound, I'd take caution to make sure that everything is fine (and I'm sure it is, but then again, we were surprised by the kidney issue) and just take your husband.  Afterwards, I'd bring your mom.  If that makes sense.  It just seems w/ this one, it'll be longer and more in-depth, so I'm sure nothing is wrong, but this is the time they'll probably find something if you know what I mean.  

• I'm very close with my mom, but I only wanted DH in there with me. In my opinion, it's something that you and your DH should be able to share together. It's a special experience and even though my mom is one of my best friends, I really felt like it was something for just me and DH.
  • my parents came and it was so neat :)  dh's mom did my first u/s at 8 weeks (she is a CNM) so i felt like it was important to offer the opportunity for my parents to be a part of one as well and those were the only 2 we had.  we all cried and it was awesome to share it with them.

we had the u/s tech write on a card the sex of the baby and went to a picnic that afternoon and opened it just the 2 of us, so that special moment was saved for just us 2.

• My parents came to my 3D/4D ultrasound. I would have had my mom come to a regular u/s but she watches my niece and nephew during the week. I would have wanted it to be just DH and I when we found out the sex, but like Mollie said you could have them write it down for you. That is how DH and I found out because I had an unexpected u/s a week before our gender u/s was scheduled and she was able to tell the sex, but DH wasn't with me. Also, just wanted to point out that since Dr. S does things a little differently I wouldn't worry too much about them finding anything at this u/s. The gender u/s with him is not the traditional "big" u/s where they do the really detailed check of everything. He doesn't do that one until 24 weeks.
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• With DD, we had both of my parents and SIL. She was the first baby in the family and it was a way to get everyone involved.  I did let everyone know it was a serious u/s, not just a gender check. 

Dr. S is different, like Kim said, and they take a few measurements but it's mostly about gender.  The 24w scan is much longer and involved. He was not my OB with DD, so that u/s was in a  big room with an u/s tech and it seemed much more accommodating to a larger group. This time, we didn't have anyone else.  Since he does the u/s in the exam room, I would have felt weird about having too many "extras" in the room. 

I can tell you that my parents were really excited to be there and I think it meant a lot to them to be involved.

• My Mom and Dad came with DH and I to one of the u/s appointments. I know this will NOT be your situation, but I was so glad I had my Mom there because she ended up passing away a month before I gave birth -- that was the only time she got to "see" my baby.

I say definitely invite your Mom. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our ultrasound location said that they would only allow 2 people in with me but I took DH along with both of my parents and my step-parents.  It was a big room so we didn't feel crowded at all. 
  • imagemolliedb:

my parents came and it was so neat :)  dh's mom did my first u/s at 8 weeks (she is a CNM) so i felt like it was important to offer the opportunity for my parents to be a part of one as well and those were the only 2 we had.  we all cried and it was awesome to share it with them.

we had the u/s tech write on a card the sex of the baby and went to a picnic that afternoon and opened it just the 2 of us, so that special moment was saved for just us 2.

Love that idea...so dang sweet!

• imagelibbyann:
    I only wanted DH in there with me. In my opinion, it's something that you and your DH should be able to share together.

Ditto.  Plus my mom tends to stress me out, so I wouldn't have wanted that tension during the u/s.

Then again I'm also a me-and-DH-only kinda person when it comes to the baby being born.  I think it's up to you and your DH and what you guys are comfortable with.

• DH's parents live in Florida, so it wouldn't have been practical for them to come to one of our ultrasounds. ?My parents live here, though, and we knew it would mean a lot to them to come to one, so we invited them along for one of our appointments. ?We had the first u/s all to ourselves; I think my parents came to the second or third. ?(We had several!)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"