Toddlers: 24 Months+

Moms of 2+ that are caff free

How do you do it?

I weaned myself off of my 1 cup of coffee/day when TTC DD, but after I had DS I was just so much more tired.  He didn't latch well so I pumped until 7 months at which point I went back to coffee.  We are getting ready to start TTC and I'm dreading the idea of weaning myself off of coffee.  I realize coffee isn't the devil, but I'd prefer to be off of it while pregnant and nursing.

How do you boost your energy naturally (diet, exercise routine, etc)?

I'd love to get to bed earlier, which is something I'm working on, but the couple of hrs after the kids go to bed is when I get most of my stuff done around the house...

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Moms of 2+ that are caff free

• So I went off caffiene while PG w/ #1.  I could not drink any caffiene w/o her being up at night the entire time I was BF.

With #2 & #3, I had one diet coke/day while PG and was able to have 1 cup coffee/day while BF both of them.

I will take the trade of a little caffiene for the benefits.
    I eat well, exercise daily, but I still have morning/afternoon caffiene.  GL!

• I nap everyday. Seriously.
  • Loading the player...
  • I only have one but stopped caffine about 2 years before I got pregnant. I was tired at first I think from with drawls but now I find I have alot more energy, exercise more and just feel better
  • I gave up caffeine when I got pregnant the first time and had such a difficult time with withdrawals that I refused to get addicted again. 

I try and get the best sleep possible (tough with the baby who until the last two days refused to sleep over 3 1/2 hour stretches).  I started taking Tylenol PM and it helped me feel more rested without being too groggy to get up during the night with the kids.  I exercise in the morning.  If I don't exercise I feel like crap all day.  Other things that help - keeping the house bright (open all the shades, turn on lights if dark outside), staying active all day (if I sit around I feel worse), eating as healthy as possible.....I am not a napper (I usually feel worse after a nap and cannot sleep at night so I avoid those if at all possible).  Also, I put most of our high energy stuff in the morning - exercise, cleaning, active/physical play.  I take it easier in the afternoons - crafts, book time, leisurely walk around the neighborhood to walk the dog, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not completely caffeine free, but limit myself to days I REALLY need it 2-3 times a week. Honestly, decaf coffee tricks my brain enough most days. I followed the paleo diet after having DS and it made me really tired for a few weeks at first as my body adjusted, and then I had so much more energy and felt amazing. I also try to get a good night sleep, bed by 9 or 10 so if I get woken up by 6am I'm not a disaster. I also do a lot better on days where we are busy all day vs. stuck in the house on a rainy day. Walking is magical, the gym in the morning gives me an awesome boost, and I get to shower in peace because they have free child care, haha. Lots of little things make a big difference, GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm completely caffeine free. I went off caffeine while TTC my last cycle to get DS (5/09) because I thought that might have been inhibiting conception since I was ovulating on clomid and not getting results. I heard it could affect your cycle and I was ADDICTED.  Well I did end up conceiving him that cycle in June of 2009. I was still having withdrawal at the end of July. I promised myself I would not let myself get that hooked on it again.  I never drank coffee but I do love my soda (horrible I know) and hot tea so I switched to herbal tea (which I loved anyway) and clear soda. If I felt like I needed "caffeine" I allowed myself the carbonated carmel color (aka caffeine free coke/pepsi) since I figured I was addicted to the carmel color and not caffeine anyway (hey it kept those cravings down). I EBF/EP'd until he was 9 months. I told myself I wasn't going to drink caffeine.  Well it was winter and I wanted hot cocoa. I allowed myself one caffeinated drink (12 oz or less) a day. I found out I was pregnant with DD and I quit the caffeine and never had an issue with quitting that since I didn't drink that much to begin with.  I felt guilty about those first two weeks, between conception and BFP, and then I realized I had maybe 4 sodas during that time and I was good.  I did allow myself one sip of a pepsi or flavored ice tea from DH's glass because I just needed to taste it.

I haven't felt the need for it yet even with an infant in the house and getting less than 5 hours of sleep total because the two year old doesn't STTN yet either.  I've been back to work for 1 1/2 months now and I'm functioning pretty well. I have not fallen asleep in my boss' office during a conference call like I did right after DS.  He was up at least every 2 hours while on BM, she does give 8 hour stretches but since he's in molar hell right now, he's up hourly so I still can't sleep.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • I avoid caffeine because I'm still nursing DD and she gets wired. I honestly DON'T boost my energy. I'm just used to being tired. Not very encouraging, I know, but with DD still not STTN (she is 9 months) I feel like I'm half asleep most of the time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • I drink A LOT of water.  I carry a water bottle every where I go and drink all the time.  Any water bottle will do, but I find the straw water bottles actually get you to drink more (straws in generally make you drink more, sounds crazy but true!).  It naturally hydrates you and makes you feel "more awake".  I also try to get to bed by 10pm, 11pm the latest, without sleep I'd never be able to function, even with caffeine!  The kids are in bed by 8pm so that gives me plenty of time to get stuff done around the house before turning in myself.

ETA: I do eat chocolate every now and then, so I guess I'm not 100% caffeine free

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"