1st Trimester
Options

Pregnant Picky Eater

Hi everyone!

I am almost 9wks now, and I'm really having a VERY hard time eating. I don't have morning sickness but certain things just freak me out, where normally I would eat them, such as asparagus. I've never really been a healthy eater to begin with, my mom raised me on crap foods like hot dogs and mac and cheese and as I've gotten older, I've trained myself to like salads, mushrooms, etc but I'm still VERY picky.

Now that I'm pregnant, there are so many foods i like that I either can't eat or just freak me out. For example, I LOVE tuna, deli meat, bacon and eggs, and bean sprouts but can't have any. I just am going crazy because I feel so guilty that I'm not eating 'right' but idk what to do!!!! I also have had ZERO desire to cook because i'm too tired AND uncooked food makes me cringe. I'm stuck!

Any advice?! 

P.S

I'm not hungry a lot but then when I eat it's usually pastas, cereals, etc.

Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com

Re: Pregnant Picky Eater

• Options

I also have had a lot of struggles eating a balanced diet this pregnancy.  My biggest aversion has been cooked vegetables and it hasn't shown signs of letting up soon.  I spoke with my OB and a nutritionist about my concerns and they said to just be sure to take my vitamin and eat what I can, but to not stress about eating a perfectly balanced diet.  

Here are some notes/suggestions based on what you said:

-Deli meat, bacon and eggs are fine during pregnancy.  The deli meat concern is the risk of listeria, which you can also get from produce and it is very, very rare.  If your meat is properly stored and handled, don't worry about it.  Bacon and eggs I have never heard that they are unsafe during pregnancy, and actually eggs were a food my OB recommended when I was having aversions to chicken (sadly, I don't eat eggs).  I don't know anything about bean sprouts and tuna because I do not eat them. 

-Have you tried smoothies as a way to get more fruits and vegetables in your diet? 

- Try adding veggies and a protein to your pasta dishes.

-When you are not in the mood to cook, try using a slow cooker.  I seriously have not cooked a real, balanced meal in over a month but we have used our slow cooker. 

-It sounds like your meals are mostly carbs (mine have been too) so try getting fruit, veggies and protein as snacks.  Some ideas include, string cheese, apple or celery with pb, raw veggies, pre-cut fruit, applesauce, etc...   

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options

Don't worry. I had that a little bit and a lot with DS and it went away in the second tri. I am down 10 lbs and was down 15 in first tri with DS and it all ended and my appetite came back with a vengeance with DS. If you are worried about nutrients get some breakfast smoothies without soy and make them to eat when nothing else sounds good.

Oh yeah, my weight went sky high last time by delivery so no worries there either. Just make sure to talk to your OB about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My body did the exact same thing with DD.  I ate alright until about 6 weeks and then I really didn't want to eat at all.  I forced myself to eat but the only things I  could keep down were cereals, toast, mashed potatoes, and saltines. It's a natural thing your body does.  I ended up losing weight but my appetite definitely came back at about 13 weeks.  Even then though, I didn't really like veggies my entire pregnancy.  Fruit was my constant craving.

Keep taking your prenatals, eat what you can, and let your doc know you don't have much of an appetite at your next appt.  It'll be alright. 

• Options

If you can do something like V8 drinks (tomato or the fruity ones), or ensure (the drink for old people lol, but it has a lot of nutrients). The ensure comes in many flavors that might be appealing to you if you are feeling like you are eating crap.

Also, the best thing you can do for yourself is try to blend things together. Don't like veggies? Stick them in the bullet/food processor and mix them with potatoes that you DO like. Like meatloaf? You can blend together carrots, celery, even eggplant and mix it in with your ground meat for burgers, meatloaf or even kababs.

If you blend a lot of things up you can do shots (lol the only ones you can do right now lol). Like a shot of celery or carrot juice.

If something doesn't work & makes you puke, then consider seeing a nutritionist. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Bacon and eggs?  I still eat those.

I'm not freaked out by food, but NOTHING sounds good.  Even stuff I love.  I end up being nauseas from not eating because I can't decide what to eat (no morning sickness here).  Oddly, I've figured out that when it's getting to time to eat and nothing sounds good, fruit loops will hold me over til I can figure it out.  The only 2 things that I can regularly eat with no problem or "ewwww" feeling is loaded baked potatoes or egg drop soup from PF Changs (and yes, it has to be theirs).

It's driving me freaking crazy.  I don't think I've gained more than a pound or two (I'm 12 weeks on Friday) but doc said he isn't worried until I hit 14 weeks and no weight gain.

• Options
    I am sooooooooooooooo glad you posted this. Your description of being raised on hot dogs (frozen pizzas for me), and trying to eat better as an adult is how I was raised too! I find that I do not want to eat any of the foods that are good for me and I am lazy about cooking too. Thank you to all of the PPs' suggestions. I tried the crockpot one, just make sure it isn't a smell that will make you sick. I made that mistake with a Mexican dish I love and I had throw it out! I would like to add one suggestion that has been working for me when I get a burst of energy. I usually make my meals on Sunday and then I have perfect portions for the rest of the week. I say it kind of works because my cravings change like crazy, but I try to make my comfort food into healthier versions by using whole grains, adding veggies that are disguised in the food processor, upping my fiber with beans instead of meat, etc. Good luck and again thanks for posting this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    image"">
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just hit 7 weeks on Tuesday and thats when my nausea kicked in. I havent been able to find any foods that sound appealing other than some small snacks which are mostly carbs. I know I need to get protein in as well but thinking about it makes me gag. From what I have heard, at this point in your pregnancy, the baby needs minimal nutrition from you, so eat what you can, keep fluids in you, try some ginger ale with REAL ginger (that seems to help me a little).
  • Options
    Thank you ladies !!! I feel SO much better about myself now!! I just felt like I was already a bad mom because I just couldn't make myself eat certain things! I like the idea of drinking smoothies, I like veggies, fruit it usually my problem. I'm lucky that I don't have M/S but I do get queasy over uncooked chicken or anything shiny basically. But thanks again, I don't feel like such a failure  lol !!
    Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"