C-sections
Options

"Choosing Cesarean" book

I happened to pass by this book last week on the library shelf  - and having had an emergency c-section with my son I was naturally curious about what it had to say.  I've been going back and forth about VBAC vs. RCS (but leaning toward RCS) and this totally confirmed my thoughts that *for me* RCS seems the way to go.  It's co-written by a doctor in Canada who deals with women with destroyed pelvic floors due to vaginal deliveries.  Naturally the book has a pro-Cesarean slant, but I thought it was extremely thorough and factual and gave tons of information about why a planned C-section (in their words) is the safest choice for mom and baby.  Just wanted to pass on the info in case someone else was interested in learning more.  
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Choosing Cesarean" book

• Options
    Kie310Kie310 member
    Watch, "More Buisness of Being Born".  is also thorough & factual. If you are looking for other opinions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a c section 3 years ago and I am 6 months pregnant now with baby number 2. I have been stressing about what i should do for labor this time .. I have appointment next month with the surgeon who performed my section last time. I am assuming to take a look at me and discuss.

So are you still set on another section? and what was the big deciding factor ? My labor was really long with my daughter and she was big and head was turned so after 3 hrs of pushing emergency section it was

Amanda

• Loading the player...
  • Options

There's no medical research on the books today that shows that a c/s is safest for mom and baby (unless there is an extenuating medical condition).  In fact, all of the research has proven otherwise which is why ACOG recommends VBACs over RCS.  Not saying you should choose one or the other, just what research has proven.  I understand why some people choose c/s's for their own personal situations.

Are there medical studies quoted?  I couldn't find any on my searches when I was pregnant and I had actual access to all of them through my job at the time.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    I'm with you.  My first was an emergency c-section.  I'm not afraid of VBAC, but I'm deadset against another emergency c-section.  So I'm going with a planned c-section also.  I think the vibe here on the bump is definitely anti-planned c-section, but only three people get a say in how I deliver my child.  And no one here is one of them (unless my doctor is lurking.  Are you here, Dr. Miner?)

• Options
    I LOVED this book and I ended up giving my copy to my doctor (who strongly believes in a woman's choice to choose the way she gives birth) and he loved it too. My doctor agrees that the safest delivery for baby is a planned c-section and the safest delivery for mom is an uncomplicated vaginal delivery. The problem with c-section data is that most studies do not differentiate between emergency and planned c-sections when presenting statistics. I don't think planned c-sections are the right choice for everyone, but I think a woman should have the right to choose. My pelvic arch is only about 40 degrees and it's not worth it to me to risk a forceps or vacuum delivery when research shows that a planned c-section (after 39 weeks) is clearly a safer option for him. 
  • Options
    thanks! I can't wait to check out the book!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"