C-sections
Options

Feeling panic over C-section, help!

This is a repost from the multiples board. I'm going to throw my net far and wide for information.Smile

At my appointment today we discovered that both babies are still breech with their heads up under my right ribs and their feet in or near my pelvis. This is the same position they?ve been in nearly all along. Granted I'm only 29 weeks but my doctor said today that I am "chock full of babies" and to fully expect a C-section. She said that chances of a vaginal birth were slim to none as the babies had run out of room (I?m measuring full term already). My doctors will not attempt a breech extraction so in order to get my wish they would both have to turn quite significantly. I desperately wanted to avoid a c/s. I?ve never had surgery and was in my own crazy way looking forward to the experience of vaginal birth so I feel a bit sad and stressed about it all.

For those of you that have had c/s, how long after they were born were you able to hold and/or nurse your babies? I feel like that?s the biggest emotional hurdle for me right now and if I can just get my head around what to expect I might feel less afraid. I had so looked forward to that moment where they place the babies on my chest and I meet them for the first time but now I worry it will be hours before I get to see or touch them. Although I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and look at the whole picture I making myself miserable thinking about all of the possible negative aspects of a c/s. Talk me down, sisters.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeling panic over C-section, help!

• Options
    I was able to nurse my DD in recovery. I couldn't even tell you what time it was I was out of it but my c section wasn't scheduled I labored all day first. But she was born at 6:19 pm and i think I had her by 8 or so. Good luck. Be sure you tell nurses you want them in recovery if u can. I don't know how your hospital works 
  • Options

I'm sorry it looks like a c/s. I planned a med-free birth with my first son, and i ended up having an unplanned c/s.

Talk to your doctor and see what their policy is - let them know you want the babies with you after birth, you want nurse right away, etc.

They offered to put DS1 on my chest in the OR (with a MW holding him!), but I was too shaky. I did get to nurse him in recovery, with little to no restrictions that I can remember.

Good luck! 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    like pp I labored for over 24 hours till we decided csection. my dh brought dd to me to see and to try and kiss her. then dh took dd to the nursery. I didnt get to see dh or dd till I was back in my room. and it was an hour or so after i was in my room that they brought my dd to me. I asked if my dh and dd could be with me in recovery and they said no. I hope you have a good c/s and recovery. and that you babies are safe and healthy. I would ask your ob and nurses as many ?'s as possible about whats going to happen, when you can see your babies and to feed them. gl
  • Options
    I was able to see DS right away.  MH and the nurse held him to my face within minutes of his birth.  As soon as I was stitched up they let me hold him so I actually had him in my arms before we left the OR.  I could BF him in recovery so 35 minutes later.  He didn't go back to the nursery until much later that night when I fell asleep.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• Options

I know how hard it is when things don't go the way you expect.  I had a c/s because DD was breech.  I had complications after both my vaginal delivery of DS and my c/s for DD, so I did not hold either of my babies until several hours later.  You just never know what is going to happen, so prepare yourself to go with the flow.  Healthy babies are the most important thing.  Many moms are able to hold their babies skin-to-skin while still in the operating room.  Talk with your OB and anesthesiologist about your wishes.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I was able to hold DS in the operating room while they stitched me up. Then he went to the nursery with DH to be weighed while they finished closing me and moved me into recovery. I was in there a few minutes alone and asked the nurse to have the baby brought in. I was nursing him within 30 minutes of him being born. Make sure you let the nurses and your OB know what you want. I made it very clear that I wanted DS to be brought to me in the recovery room, I wanted to BF as soon as I could etc. At many hospitals if you tell them to wait and not take the baby to the nursery until after you have BF they will do as you ask.
  • Options

I'm right there with you. I went to the hospital at the end of May planning natural birth and labored all day before they told me I had to have a c-section. I'm not going to lie, it sucked and still does.  I had to demand the nurses bring my baby to the room before two hours after delivery. I breastfeed and it's ok, you just have to use the football hold. I'm still sore and get tired quickly 4 1/2 weeks later. You should plan to have help for at least a week after. I couldn't even bend over to pick baby up out of the swing.

But on the up side, my baby is so beautiful that I was completely distracted. Don't be afraid to take the pain med's, it doesn't hurt baby and it keeps you able to hold them. Try not to think about what you missed and look at what you gained, it helped keep the worst of my baby blues away.

Good luck!

• Options

My twin cousins were vag birth.  One was born easily, but the other turned breech at the last minute.  I don't know all the details, but she was oxygen deprived during delivery.  She has had pretty serious learning disabilities all her life because of this.  Being able to have a CS is a blessing.  You will be fine.

I touched my son as soon as they had rubbed him off and held/nursed him in recovery soon after.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • Options
    seems like every hospital is different ask your ob what they do there. when i had my boys i couldnt hold them for 3 days until i had a drs order. it wasnt bad. i was more concerned about them getting strong and being ready to be held. in the or my husband got to hold 2 of our babies for a few seconds. honestly i was so exhausted it wasnt that big of a deal seeing or holding the babies. i was in recovery for 4 hours because of my blood pressure so i didnt get to see them for a long time.  i had my son vaginally and the trips via csection. honestly the section in my opinion was so much better in many ways. i was sore for weeks after my vag birth. everything was sore from my neck down. with my section i was sore for 3 days and only at the incision. i say try not to stress it the end result is youll have some healthy babies.  sorry no caps stupid phone.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    i had a csection at  39 weeks and 5 days it was planned and i left my hostpital room at 310 and he was born at 332 and i was back in my room before 4 and i held him on my way back from surgery and dont worry that was my first surgery and first time ever staying in the hostpital ever so you will be fine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"