Pennsylvania Babies

Are you sticking with the regular vaccination schedule?

Just wondering if anyone is not following the recommended vaccination schedule for fear of autism?  DH and I discussed this and we decided we are going to have Sophia vaccinated as recommended.  DH's cousin has a 3 year old with autism and she will not get any of her children vaccinated now.  She has an 18 month old who only had her newborn and 2 month old vaccinations and will have no further ones given. 

Re: Are you sticking with the regular vaccination schedule?

• We stuck with the regular vaccination schedule as recommended by our peditrician.  There was not enough proof out there that they are linked together for me to do otherwise. I know someone who did not have their chid vaccinated and I don't really agree with it.  The only shot I have been upset with is the flu since it made her terribly sick but that I guess is common!
  • We are sticking with the regular vaccination schedule.  Ours has been broken up a bit just due to our pedi doing it that way with preemies.  There is not enough evidence to link the two.  And I think of some of the risks of not getting the vaccines too.
  • Loading the player...
  • We'll be vaccinating on the regular schedule.  Again, not enough/any scientific evidence about the link with autism.  Also, the risks of not vaccinating are far greater than any autism risk could be. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will stick with the vaccination schedule.  I agree with PP about there not being enough evidence to link vaccinations and autism.  It's too big of a health risk not to vaccinate, and I feel it's very irresponsible of parents to not vaccinate their children without solid medical reason specific to that child. 
  • We are sticking with the schedule.  Here's one reason to...  there's a family in my niece & nephew's school, who don't follow that.  They don't just not follow the schedule, they don't get their kids vaccinated at all (because of the so-called autism risk).  Well, that family caused a whooping cough outbreak at the school (it's a very small school).  And then my baby had a possible exposure to it (which in newborns is very serious) because my SIL babysits her once a week.  It was just a scary situation, all because they weren't vaccinated.
  • Chiming in...although I'm not a mom yet, I will follow the recommended vaccination schedule. I've done a lot of research on autism being in the education field, and I agree that there is not enough evidence that links the two to not vaccinate my child and risk their health, or others. There are about 10 different factors out there that some groups believe to be the cause, from a particular gene, to a morning sickness medicine, on and on.

And most likely the rate of autism isn't increasing (maybe slightly), but more so our understanding of it and ability to diagnose. Autism, asperger's and the spectrum weren't even termed until the 1980's.?

• Just to add to everyone's research, etc - there are many reasons beyond a potential link to autism that people choose not to vaccinate their children. If anyone is interested in learning more about vaccinations and specific vaccinations and why people might choose whether or not to give them to their children, The Vaccination Book by Dr Sears is very informative, researched and reputable. We're doing a delaying schedule, which doesn't mean that we're not vaccinating, just that we're spreading them out differently than the normal schedule just so that our kid don't get as many shots at one time - depending on the specific shots and the schedule, we've done anywhere for 1-3 at an appointment, then go back about 6-8 weeks later for the rest of them or even one more time if we need to so that she's only getting a few at once. They're still getting them in the time frames the CDC suggests(except a couple that will be just a little bit later), just not the 4-6 shots at a time that are sometimes given at one appointment.
  • The most Adam has ever had at one appointment is three, and that is on our pedi's schedule. So we're fine with their schedule.
  • We'll definitely get our child vaccinated but I'm interested in the delayed schedule... not so many at once.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"