Stay at Home Moms

Poll - family obligations you hate

This is inspired by the 12 hour drive we're about to make with the kids to go to the IL's for the Fourth. For the record, I've never complained about this (to my DH, anyway). I know it's important to him. The kids enjoy it, once we get there. But I think it's the biggest PITA, ever. I can't help it. The AC in my IL's house is always broken and the upstairs is hot enough to cook an egg. There are no shades in our room, and there is always a full moon when we go, so I'm up all night. They light off a gazillion lethal fireworks and I stress all night trying to make sure the boys are out of the way. In short, it sort of sucks. 

Anyone else have something?

Re: Poll - family obligations you hate

• A lot of sad things happened when my grandmother passed away 8 years ago, but the end of this tradition was NOT one of them.  My father's family is from the former Yugoslav and they have/had this tradition called "Forgiveness Day".  "Prostemay" as we say it in Macedonian.  My family and my father's 4 brothers and their kids and my grandmother would all get together and you literally had to give a kiss (on the cheek) to each person older than you and ask for forgiveness.  It didn't matter that if it was my aunt who hated my mom and was mean to us, or my cousins (5 older) who were so annoying.  Such. a. weird. effing. tradition.  It was wrong.  Just wrong.  I know the sentiment was nice.  Well, I guess it was supposed to be, but SERIOUSLY!  The whole family never mentioned it again after Baba passed.  The only thing about it that was funny was that my sister had to kiss me and ask for forgiveness.  LOL.  That always went over well.  They also drank something weird from eggshells.  I have blocked it out. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I hate that I'm obligated to be peaceful with my FIL even though he's super annoying.

I hate that we drive a gazillion miles a year to visit his parents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:

This is inspired by the 12 hour drive we're about to make with the kids to go to the IL's for the Fourth. For the record, I've never complained about this (to my DH, anyway). I know it's important to him. The kids enjoy it, once we get there. But I think it's the biggest PITA, ever. I can't help it. The AC in my IL's house is always broken and the upstairs is hot enough to cook an egg. There are no shades in our room, and there is always a full moon when we go, so I'm up all night. They light off a gazillion lethal fireworks and I stress all night trying to make sure the boys are out of the way. In short, it sort of sucks. 

Anyone else have something?

Yeah, that doesn't sound very fun to me at all!  How long do you stay there?  I seriously hope it isn't all of that driving for 1 miserable night.  Well, maybe that is better than multiple miserable nights?  Ick.

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Mine seems mild compared to all of yours, but I hate that when we go to my in-laws; we just sit and watch TV.  There is little conversation, little interaction.  We all just sit in the same room and watch TV.  It's so lame, but it's what they do.
    SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • imageCourt0026:
    A lot of sad things happened when my grandmother passed away 8 years ago, but the end of this tradition was NOT one of them.  My father's family is from the former Yugoslav and they have/had this tradition called "Forgiveness Day".  "Prostemay" as we say it in Macedonian.  My family and my father's 4 brothers and their kids and my grandmother would all get together and you literally had to give a kiss (on the cheek) to each person older than you and ask for forgiveness.  It didn't matter that if it was my aunt who hated my mom and was mean to us, or my cousins (5 older) who were so annoying.  Such. a. weird. effing. tradition.  It was wrong.  Just wrong.  I know the sentiment was nice.  Well, I guess it was supposed to be, but SERIOUSLY!  The whole family never mentioned it again after Baba passed.  The only thing about it that was funny was that my sister had to kiss me and ask for forgiveness.  LOL.  That always went over well.  They also drank something weird from eggshells.  I have blocked it out. 

Weird! I`ve never heard of something like that... It`s a nice idea in theory, but has some pretty serious flaws haha

Not so much an obligation, but more of a tradition as well:

DH`s family has this thing called the ``red plate``, where for birthdays, graduations, good grades, etc (any achievement), the person in question will be served dinner on a red plate and during the meal everyone takes a turn sharing something they appreciate about that person. Cute. I think its a great idea for a mom and dad to do with their kids to build confidence and make them feel appreciated. But now that both of my ILs kids are married, these red plate dinners get awkward. Like, really.  They`ll do it at meals where my parents and SIL`s husband`s parents are there... and we all dont know each other all that well... and it`s sort of an intimate thing to sit at a table full of people and look someone in the eye and share what you value about them. And it`s just so unpleasant when I have to do that with SIL`s husband`s dad. Ugh. I dread those dinners, honestly. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• This is pretty tame, but I hate being tech support for my parents. My dad will call telling me something won't work, but he doesn't use the right name for it so we have an awkward conversation while I'm trying to guess what "file thingy" means to figure out how to fix it. If I had a dollar for every time I had shown him how to add an attachment to an email, I swear I could by airfare to Europe.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know if this falls under family obligations or just annoying but I hate the "obligations" linked to be married to the oldest child. We always have to call his siblings for bdays, their kids bdays, holidays, etc. We always have to be present at holiday gatherings, always keep cool in pissed off situations, always give gifts on bdays and holidays and the list goes on. Normally none of this would bother me if it weren't for the fact that his SEVEN other siblings and step siblings do not reciprocate. Some of them act like complete A holes. Two never call, send cards, or gifts to us or our child yet we are expected to send to theirs.

One sibling, spouse children LITERALLY have never thanked us for anything we give them or do for them. I dont expect anyone to spend money on our child but if we are expected to do it the least you can do is say thank you. They just have no manners and honestly I am sick of them and their family events.

I vented to my DH that I am tired of being treated like crap and always putting on a smiling face and I am tired of spending out money when half the time we dont even get thanks yous. The response I get is typically along the lines of not stooping to their level and we should set a good example. I was a middle child so maybe I just cannot relate to being expected to set an example time and again for people that could care less about the example we set.

Grrrr

• That sounds miserable, Mrs. Hizzo!

My husband's family is obsessed with Thanksgiving. It is non-negotiable. There is no trading dates with in-laws, no "we will be there in the afternoon", nothing. I don't hate the actual Thanksgiving (although there are definitely parts I could live without or change) but the fact that it is a requirement with no bend or give. Everyone abides by it too.

We have missed 5 of the last 6 years being overseas but I know as soon as we move back our attendance will be mandatory again. It is deeply ingrained too - DH and I got into a huge fight our first year in the UK because he thought we should fly to the US for Thanksgiving weekend, fly back to the UK and then again to the US for Christmas! He now looks back and laughs at what an insane idea that was but at the time he was totally serious. And his family thought it made sense too! FIL said, "Well, it is Thanksgiving...we know how important Thanksgiving is in our family." No kidding, you are all nuts about the crazy day! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • imagealmostjennifer:
    Mine seems mild compared to all of yours, but I hate that when we go to my in-laws; we just sit and watch TV.  There is little conversation, little interaction.  We all just sit in the same room and watch TV.  It's so lame, but it's what they do.

OMG!  This is my MIL/SIL!  It's always on HGTV or DIY network or something.  Then they complain about all the awful decorating on the shows.  Why would they watch if they hated everything so much you know?  Plus the girls get rambunctious because they usually get a lot of outside time and MIL/SIL refuse to go outside beyond sitting on their deck.  H and I end up playing in the yard with the girls WHILE MIL/SIL are on the deck watching.  It is soooo awkward.  I hate it.

• Let me say first that I love my ILs and they are very nice people. That said, they have always lived in close proximity to all of their family members, whereas I grew up living hours away from grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. -- I'm not used to being "required" to show up for family events several times a year.

My ILs have 3 kids, all of whom are married and live between 1-1/2 and 3 hours away. DH and I are the only ones with kids. My ILs still expect us to show up semi-regularly for family events. Major holidays, that's a reasonable request (as long as we're not out of town visiting my family). A surprise going-away party for an aunt who is taking a month-long vacaiton? Uh, ok. A birthday party for a cousin's two year old the weekend after the aforementioned going-away party (where all the same people will be in attendance)? No. We've gotta draw the line somewhere.

The other thing that bugs me a little is Mother's Day/Father's Day. Since DH and I are the only of the three kids with kid(s) of our own, the ILs still assume that we're all going to show up at their house and celebrate these days with them. Forget the fact that DH and I are parents, too, and maybe we want to do something with our own kid. This year on Mother's Day my parents were in town so I used that as an excuse not to go; I spent the day with DD and my mother. If DH wants us all to go to his parents' house for Father's Day, that's his choice and I'm fine doing it (and that is what we did this year). I just don't want to have my Mother's Day revolve around MIL when I have my own child, KWIM?

• As horrible as this sounds, I really dislike doing anything with my IL's.

They are super annoying, uppity, in mid life crisis, immature stage.

Not to mention, they have done/said some pretty crappy things to us in our years together.

Uggg...this post reminded me that I have to see them tomorrow. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow...some of these are actually kind of horrible, and now I feel bad complaining about a holiday drive! I mean, I will say that it's always nice to see my SIL and her family, and DH's cousins and their families, and my MIL really knocks herself out making sure the kids all have things to do, etc. But I do finally understand why mother completely dreaded our annual summer trip to North Dakota when we were growing up.
  • imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Wow...some of these are actually kind of horrible, and now I feel bad complaining about a holiday drive! I mean, I will say that it's always nice to see my SIL and her family, and DH's cousins and their families, and my MIL really knocks herself out making sure the kids all have things to do, etc. But I do finally understand why mother completely dreaded our annual summer trip to North Dakota when we were growing up.

H's brother and SIL are our saving graces.  They have two kids in about the same age range as P and R so they play together nicely.  And they're normal, so you can't beat that.  Unfortunately, they're three hours from us and five hours from MIL so we rarely see them up at MIL's.  They do come up for all the bday parties and stuff.

I think IL's are hard, regardless of the family.  It's always so many "moving parts".

BTW- Hizzo- I've been watching about the fires.  Are you in a safe area? 

• English, we're fine, fortunately. Thanks for asking. Everything has been north or south of us. They did cancel all the firework shows in our county, though, so I guess I shouldn't complain so much about going somewhere else!
  • Christmas Eve with DH's extended family we see only once a year. Everyone sits around akward and tries to make small talk. It feels so cold compared to my family. Finally around 10 we eat lamb ribs (a Norweigan tradition) and at midnight sit in a circle and very very slowly open presents one person at a time. Usually this is completed by 2 or 3 am. We get there at 4 pm. A long horrible night. Now we tell them we have to leave by 8 due to DD's bedtime and everyone is angry. Ugh, hate it. Worst thing is nobody wants to be there and everyone is bitter lol!
  • This is going to be the first yr, but I am already not looking forward to it.  DS has 2 cousins with birthdays close to his.  The weekend before his party there is a party one evening and the next day there is another one.  Both of them are about 30 minute drives which really isn't that far, but just having them back to back like that kind of stinks. 
  • My ILs are wonderful, kind people and I love them dearly. That being said, they are slightly ridiculous about birthdays. They feel that everyone needs their own individual celebration. My bday is 5 days before MIL's and we can't celebrate together. DD1's bday is the day before FIL's and they can't celebrate together. So we end up doing dumb things like celebrating one bday on Saturday evening and the other on Sunday afternoon. I think it puts an unnecessary burden on people's schedules, especially BIL and his wife, who live out of town. 

My family is big (I'm the oldest of 6) and fun, but they go through my house like a freight train and don't always think to help with cleanup. We often host family get-togethers since we have the only grandkids and it makes it easier to get them to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagealmostjennifer:
    Mine seems mild compared to all of yours, but I hate that when we go to my in-laws; we just sit and watch TV.  There is little conversation, little interaction.  We all just sit in the same room and watch TV.  It's so lame, but it's what they do.

This must be a common thing bc my IL's are the same way.  They are tv zombies, it is on 24/7.  They eat in front of it and everything.

• imageBennett714:

This is pretty tame, but I hate being tech support for my parents. My dad will call telling me something won't work, but he doesn't use the right name for it so we have an awkward conversation while I'm trying to guess what "file thingy" means to figure out how to fix it. If I had a dollar for every time I had shown him how to add an attachment to an email, I swear I could by airfare to Europe.  

HAHA! This makes me laugh because any time any of us goes to my Grandma's house, we have to show her AGAIN how to take photos off of her camera and put them on her computer.  

Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My uncle passed away last year (unexpectedly of a heart attack at age 43) and so now we are spending the next 15 years (or however long my grandparents live) on a specialized vacation to celebrate his birthday together. Including a cake and a releasing of balloons ceremony in his memory. 

I love my family and I'm really excited for the free vacation to the beach every year for the next few years but celebrating a dead family members birthday is just a little creepy to me.

I love my ILs and really enjoy spending time with all of them so no obligation feelings there! 

• 1) I hate feeling obligated to have a birthday party for the kids EVERY flip'n year!  The first b-day party I EVER got was when I was 13, the second when I turned 14, the third belly flopped so bad I've never had another since and sort of resent them.  Other than the first b-day or the MIL's to gtg for dinner, I'd rather just keep b-days within the family...

2) Mother's Day!!  I don't want to have to go out with the IL's to a restaurant... 

3) Obligated to bring the kids along!  With SAHM and having a husband who works a crazy busy work schedule, once in a while I'd like some time to myself to not be needed by ANYone or obligated to take the kids with me to places that aren't "kid friendly"...

• This is less of a family obligation, more of a vent. I hate that we have to bow down to the golden child (aka the only other grandchild, my nephew). The kid is 3 weeks older than my oldest DD and his parents were never together. He visits my BIL every other month for a week and stays with the grandparents the entire time because BIL can't care for him without moral support. I should add that the kid himself is sweet and well behaved, its just the adults around him. While visiting (and I might add here that the ILs only see their other grandkids, mine, for about 3 hours every few months by their choice even though we live local), what this kid want is what goes. It is like they are scared to ever say no to him or create any boundaries. He was out recently and we had to eat pizza for four days straight because that is what he wanted. Things like chips for dinner, staying up to midnight or bossing adults around is ok because it is coming from the golden child. I got into major trouble when I once asked him to not be in my baby's face when he was sick. I'm still paying for that one 4 years later. We had to visit because he asked for us and it isn't worth the fight not to go. If the kids want to watch a movie, he always gets to choose it. My oldest is getting it now and asking about it. How do you explain that? I could go on and on but I have just decided that it is what it is. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • jw87jw87 member
    I hate my Mother's annual fall pumpkin trip obligation.  If I don't go she will seriously disown me...

We have to drive over an hour & a half away (it's an hour for her)  to some bakery for pies and pumpkins (already picked and sitting next to the parking lot) which is located next to a busy highway so I have to watch DS like a hawk and then we go to a rest stop down the road and eat the pies while the kids roll down a big hill.  Then we go to the same restaurant we go to every year and eat dinner. 

Last year I found this AMAZING farm with a hayride, ziplines, giant corn box, slides, pick your own pumpkins, they have homemade fresh pies and other home cooked foods AND the best part- it's only 20 minutes away and cheaper and the place is huge and everyone I know raves about it!  EVERYONE in our family wanted to go there instead... my Mother refused and said we were breaking tradition and threw a big stink and everyone caved.  I was so pissed she always gets her way.  Her whole traditional is based around FOOD... I don't know why we can't do other activities for kids considering there are eleven grandchildren or something else besides stuffing our faces.

I'm going to that damn farm this year, lol... possibly in addition to her tradition, but I am so going! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"