1st Trimester

Every pregnant women should watch this!

Hi, I just watched this video that was recommended by a friend and I thought it was so great that I just felt the need to share it with you guys. It was so eye opening and I think every pregnant women should be aware of the options she has when it comes to childbirth. Its a documentary directed by Ricki Lake called The business of being born.

Hope you guys like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMX3ahiOT3o 

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Every pregnant women should watch this!

• I saw this a little while ago and found it very thought provoking. It's in line with my views already, so it didn't change my opinion. I'm not sure if people who are strongly in favour of a highly medicalised birth would enjoy it as much, as it might make them feel a bit conflicted. I thought it was a great watch though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think its important to have lots of information. Just make sure you watch more than this...

• Loading the player...
  • Extremely one-sided documentary that uses scare tactics to promote it's agenda.  Do more research than this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Meh. What they said.^^
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I personally enjoy this documentary, but like all documentaries it has an agenda and is making an argument. I think it it important to keep that in mind when you are watching it. Be aware of what they might "not" be saying in order to emphasize their point.

With that said, MH and I watched after we had been researching med-free and homebirth for quite awhile. Since I did most of the reading and then discussed it with with MH, the documentary helped give him a visual and a good context. 

Considering that hospital birth is the predominate choice in the US, I think it is valuable to watch just to see another side so that each couple can explore getting good information and make the best choice for them. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagesassafras007:

I think its important to have lots of information. Just make sure you watch more than this...

This. There are LOTS of resource out there to explore natural, med-free, out of hospital births. Find them, read them, watch them, discuss them with your partner. Then make the best decision for you and your family. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagelaurakaz13:
    Extremely one-sided documentary that uses scare tactics to promote it's agenda.  Do more research than this.

THIS.  I was actually offended at this documentary because I know how many people are stupid enough to believe all of it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCranang:

imagelaurakaz13:
    Extremely one-sided documentary that uses scare tactics to promote it's agenda.  Do more research than this.

THIS.  I was actually offended at this documentary because I know how many people are stupid enough to believe all of it.

What's not to believe?? I think it's pretty silly to be offended by a docu.Plus, why would you care if your friends choose to believe it anyway? I would think you'd be happy that they are researching other options other than epi and pit....

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I watched that and Pregnant in America. Both were really good if you are looking into a natural birth.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelaurakaz13:

This! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imageLaurelBee:
    imageCranang:

imagelaurakaz13:

What's not to believe?? I think it's pretty silly to be offended by a docu.Plus, why would you care if your friends choose to believe it anyway? I would think you'd be happy that they are researching other options other than epi and pit....

Thank you for the visual aid with regard to my post. *sigh*

Why would it make me happy that they're researching unmedicated birth?  I really don't care HOW my friends, or anyone else, have their babies.

This is a "documentary" the way the Michael Moore's movies are "documentaries."  Did you bother to independently research any of the claims made in the movie?  Did you enjoy the scare tactics used in the movie?  The Passion of the Christ was nothing but a big scare tactic too, but it was portrayed as the actual account of the last days of Christ. 

SHEEPLE.

• imagelaurakaz13:
    Agreed. I found it judgemental and annoying.
  • *sigh*  You should be supportive of your friends taking steps to having their ideal births. So you didn't like the movie, no sweat. But you sounded really judgey of people for considering a med free birth after they watched the movie. I read it as "People are stupid for wanting med free births after watching BOBB." Correct me if I interpreted that wrong...

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    *sigh*  You should be supportive of your friends taking steps to having their ideal births. So you didn't like the movie, no sweat. But you sounded really judgey of people for considering a med free birth after they watched the movie. I read it as "People are stupid for wanting med free births after watching BOBB." Correct me if I interpreted that wrong...

I am supportive of my friends taking steps to have their ideal births.  But the movie is judgemental and inaccurate in places in an attempt to scare women who are looking for useful information.  People who buy this hook, line, and sinker annoy me because people should be smarter than that, especially women who are becoming mothers.  People aren't stupid for wanting med free births--they ARE stupid if this piece of propaganda is the catalyst for that decision.

• Imo, BOBB is a good jumping off point for learning about your choices. Yes, extremely one sided, but that's just the nature of documentaries. I especially find it helpful for H's that have zero experience with what a med free birth entails. There are risks involved with all types of births and parents should understand the whole scheme.

But that being said, I disagree that parents who don't do birth research are stupid. We should be able to trust our care providers to provide us with this type of info. Sadly, that doesn't happen. And I don't put the blame on anyone who doesn't research their options or only does a minimal amount of research. Stop blaming the mothers and calling them stupid... It makes you look really judgey.

Rap Roller
  • imagelaurakaz13:

edit: Nevermind.

And yes, I am not a huge fan of BBOB itself, but I am a fan of women knowing their options. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLaurelBee:

Imo, BOBB is a good jumping off point for learning about your choices. Yes, extremely one sided, but that's just the nature of documentaries. I especially find it helpful for H's that have zero experience with what a med free birth entails. There are risks involved with all types of births and parents should understand the whole scheme.

But that being said, I disagree that parents who don't do birth research are stupid. We should be able to trust our care providers to provide us with this type of info. Sadly, that doesn't happen. And I don't put the blame on anyone who doesn't research their options or only does a minimal amount of research. Stop blaming the mothers and calling them stupid... It makes you look really judgey.

I hope I seem that way, because I am judging. Ignorance isn't a valid excuse.

Frankly, I don't care whether you research options or not.  If you trust your healthcare provider, then go for it.  And frankly I never said anything about that, so I'm not sure what you're going for there. But to use THIS pieces of propaganda as "research" is indeed stupid, if you just see this and don't check any of it out.

And you can stop telling me what I should do.

• Wow, I can't believe how much negative response this post got!! I just watched it, and I honestly loved this! Yes, I get that it may be biased towards natural births........ but seriously ladies! Our bodies are DESIGNED to give birth! It makes a lot of sense that natural birth & midwife assisted births would be a better choice for most women! I also get that it can't always be that way (like the last birth that they showed) but I feel very strongly that my body knows what to do. Thank you so much for posting this video!!! 

• I watched this last time around (I had a med-free birth in a hospital) and would like to say that while there is some good info, the video made it seem like hospitals are out to give everyone a C-section and would be pressuring me heavily to get an epidural... not at all true. My doctor and the nurses were very supportive of my choice and encouraging when the labor got tough, they really helped me stick with it.

So, watch it but if you're planning to do med-free in a hospital don't let it scare you off and make sure you find other sources of information as well.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageCranang:
    imageLaurelBee:

Imo, BOBB is a good jumping off point for learning about your choices. Yes, extremely one sided, but that's just the nature of documentaries. I especially find it helpful for H's that have zero experience with what a med free birth entails. There are risks involved with all types of births and parents should understand the whole scheme.

Frankly, I don't care whether you research options or not.  If you trust your healthcare provider, then go for it.  And frankly I never said anything about that, so I'm not sure what you're going for there. But to use THIS pieces of propaganda as "research" is indeed stupid, if you just see this and don't check any of it out.

::smiles sweetly and nods::

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    imageCranang:
    imageLaurelBee:

::smiles sweetly and nods::

This doesn't even make sense. *sigh*  Sarcasm fail.

• ::continues to smile sweetly and nod::

Rap Roller
  • imageLaurelBee:
    ::continues to smile sweetly and nod::

I'll let you go ahead and have the last word since it's apparent that's what you want.  You can't explain yourself, so in an effort to feel important you need that.  So, it's yours...go for it.

• Well this is fun.

It's a documentary.  It's meant to be one sided. I thought it was awful and I'm all about natural birth.  The hippies dancing around didn't lend much credibility to the cause, in my opinion. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm shocked at how everyone responded to this video. I posted this myself because I considered it useful information, this is my first pregnancy, I am very early and I just started doing research on labor and delivery. I've been intrigued for a couple weeks about why some women are so against med (epi and pito) and this documentary gave me that answer I was looking for.

Even though I thought it was very helpful, I in no way plan to give birth at home as I would feel much safe in a hospital setting with my doctor (not a midwife) who I trust. I was not trying to convince anyone for home birth because I wouldn't even consider it for myself. I just thought it was helpful..... OF COURSE WE/I WILL DO MORE RESEARCH. But thanks for the concern though   

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"