December 2010 Moms
Options

Poll: Pets. (non clicky)

Do you have a pet/pets?

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? 

-Is your pet low/high maintanence?

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? 

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? 

* If not, Do you want a pet? 

- Is there something keeping you from getting one (renting/finances/allergies)?

-Do you think that you will ever get a pet? 

Re: Poll: Pets. (non clicky)

• Options

We have a dog (beagle) and his name is Murphy O'Dwyer. We got him-after a trip to Ireland, hahaha-in October of 2008, so way before LO was born. He was EXTREMELY high maintenance as a puppy, but he's very low maintenance now. He's a great dog, and we love him to death.

When Tony was born, Murphy was a little sketched out at first. He mostly ignored Tony, except when he would start crying. Then Murphy would just get up and walk out of the room! It was actually pretty funny. The older Tony got, the more interested they became in each other. Tony loves Murphy, and Murphy is extremely gentle with Tony. Even when I catch Tony trying to grab Murphy's tail, or trying to play tug of war with Murphy's toys, Murph is always very careful around him. It's so sweet to see them together!

Here's a picture of my son and my furry son (about 9 months ago). Big Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Do you have a pet/pets? yup :)

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have?  we have two small dogs (5 ls each)  A Teacup Maltese (Jay Jay - 8.5 YO male) and a Teacup Yorkie (Bella - 7.5 YO girl)

-Is your pet low/high maintenance?  they need to go to the groomer at least every 3 months, but their daily maintenance is very low key.  We keep them puppy cut (or pretty much shaved) so they don't require eery day brushing.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? before.  I even had Jay Jay before I met H :)

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? He loves them, but he's still a bit intimidating to the dogs  Bella runs away from him and Jay Jay tends to growl and walk away.  Thor just always wants to kiss them.

photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep.

We have a Boston Terrier 

She's fairly small so she doesn't need a ton of exercise.  Usually we take her on a 1/2 hour walk each day and let her run around our (somewhat small) yard.  She's VERY high energy though. 

We got her when DD was around 10 months old 

DD loves the dog.  Bostons are great family dogs and good with kids.  We try not to let them be on the floor in the same room at the same time as the dog tends to jump a lot.  Once she's out of the puppy stage and DD's a bit bigger we'll let them play more 

Extra:  I'm not a big pet person, DH is and wanted a dog.  We love our Boston, but if I'm being totally honest, I don't know if we would have got her knowing what we know now.  I miss my quiet (except for baby) house, I feel like I'm constantly cleaning up after the dog.  I think I may look at it all differently had we started with the dog and had the "furbaby" experience... but it was very hard in the beginning to not get mad about how much time I had to spend with the dog and away from baby - training and carrying her down the deck when we were housetraining, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Options

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

J loves her & wants to give her treats all the time.

She is so high maintenance. She is constantly on my lap or in my face/in J's face.

I love her, but we will not be getting another dog any time soon.

We got her before J, she is 7.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Our 2 cats, Domino and Rogue, are kind of mid-maintanence if that makes sense. We've had them for about 5 years. My cats aren't really kid friendly. Rogue avoids O at all costs. Domino on the other is usually out and about which results in O trying to get her. Unfortuntely, O has recieved some scratches for chasing her and poking her with toys.

Cooper, our chihauha/ terrier mix, is 4yrs old. He is a bit high maintance. He likes attention, he doesn't like being home alone and he's a bit of a scaredy cat. He isn't a fan of O but that is because O chases him. If O is sitting still and quiet, he's come over and lick him then run away.

Sage, our husky/springer spaniel mix, is 7yrs old. She was really high maintanence as a puppy- she chewed on everything. She destoyed a recliner, I'm talking ate it to the frame. She has also chewed a hole in a mattress, carpet and many other things. She is great now but she was a terrible puppy. DH got her while we were still dating so she was here long before our LOs. O absolutely loves her and she loves him. They're best buds. See- 

O is about 2days old, 4mths old, 6mths old, 13mths old and 17mths in these pics

imageimageimageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options

Do you have a pet/pets?

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have a great dane and two cats

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? they are all pretty low maintanence

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? Luna the dane is 7 years old and the cats are 11 years old.  

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? She loves all animals and wishes they loved her just the same.  She wants to be close to them all the time.

Our dane is getting older and is not as patient as she was (even a year ago).  She still is a gentle giant, but doesn't realize her size.  So when she runs through the house, Lani gets knocked down sometimes, but is completely fine.

We love our pets, but probably won't get any new pets for a long time. 

• Options
    [quote user="Rink08

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have three Beagles- Gracie, Katie and Wednesday

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? Two of our beagles are very low maintanence- Katie has a immune disorder that so far has caused her retinas to detach 9 and then reattach with drug treatments)- resulting in blindness in one eye and partial loss in the other- she also is prone to anal gland infections.  She has cost me thousands of dollars in vet bills.  But I love her

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born?   I had Gracie a few months before DH and I started dating- He got Katie and Wednesday 2 years later.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? At first Wednesday was confused with pack order- she is the pack protector- now we worry more about the boys hurting them.. We have our home arranged so that we have a dog only space, kid only space and an area that we are all together.  The boys like to pet the girls- but they are rough.

• Options
    imageRink08:

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have two dogs, an American Eskimo (Callie) and a Golden Retriever (Gundy)

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? Eskimo is HIGH maint.  and Golden is low maint.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? We have them both since they were puppies (before LO).  Eskimo is 8 and Golden is 4.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? The Golden does really well and he and LO are best buddies.  We are actually trying to rehome the Eskimo because she growls at LO and has attempted to bite multiple times.  Training hasn't helped.  It makes us sad because we really do like the dog.

m
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLtlsktl30:

Do you have a pet/pets?

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have a great dane and two cats

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? they are all pretty low maintanence

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? Luna the dane is 7 years old and the cats are 11 years old.  

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? She loves all animals and wishes they loved her just the same.  She wants to be close to them all the time.

Our dane is getting older and is not as patient as she was (even a year ago).  She still is a gentle giant, but doesn't realize her size.  So when she runs through the house, Lani gets knocked down sometimes, but is completely fine.

We love our pets, but probably won't get any new pets for a long time. 

Bonus Pic! 

• Options

Do you have a pet/pets? Yep

If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have a shelter dog that we adopted 3 years ago. They told us he was part Austrailian Cattle Dog and part Pit Bull, but he's bigger than those either of those breeds usually get. So who knows really - he's just our little mut.

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? I would say he's somewhere in the middle. As long as he gets a decent amount of exercise each day (generally 2 walks a day morning/evening) then he's pretty happy, otherwise he gets restless.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? We got him 3 years ago - so before DS.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? Overall he's great. He's got a really sweet personality. There was a time period where DS was just getting pretty mobile and chasing after the dog a lot that the dog would kinda get annoyed. But he never took it out on DS, the dog would just leave the room or go outside to get away. Now that him and DS can kinda "play" and chase each other and DS will try to throw toys for him he tolerates DS much more. But I've never worried about DS' safety around the dog.

• Options
    imageRink08:

Do you have a pet/pets?

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? Yes, we have a rabbit named Seymour

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? He pretty low maintanence, he has the run of the house and is litter trained. He does like to chew on LOs books whish is a pain in the a$$. When we get our house he will only be allowed in certain areas, because of the chewing.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? We had him before LO.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? They love to share food, Lily will sit on the floor with kix and give Seymour some. Lily still pets him a bit hard (she doesn't mean to) so he doesn't really like for her to touch him.

When we do get a house we are going to get a German Shepard. I can't wait.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? A cat of the sassy variety.

-Is your pet low/high maintenance? Eh, somewhere in the middle I guess. High maintenance for a pet, but pretty normal for a cat.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? Yes, I got her when I was in graduate school about five years ago.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? He loooooooves her. He squeals when she comes in the room and loves to "pet" her. She's fond of him enough to not swat at him (she has her front claws).

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    imageRink08:

Do you have a pet/pets? Yep. 

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have a two year old English Springer Spaniel. 

-Is your pet low/high maintenance? For the most part, she's amazing. I take her on one longish (1.5 mile) walk per day and that, along with playing in the backyard, make her extremely manageable. 

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? We got our dog (Kate) ONE DAY before we got our BFP with Ava. We'd been up all night with a crying 10-week old puppy and were like, "Oh Sh8T"

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? Ava loves all dogs, but especially our dog Kate. While she can say Kate's name, she prefers to call her Honey, which is my parents dog's name. 

* If not, Do you want a pet? 

- Is there something keeping you from getting one (renting/finances/allergies)?

-Do you think that you will ever get a pet? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imageRink08:

Do you have a pet/pets? Yes.

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? 2 dogs (Pit Bull and Malamute and 3 cats)

-Is your pet low/high maintanence? All are pretty low maintanence...I would say the Malamute is the most work/trouble.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? They were all here when Jericho was born. The Malamute was the most recent, we got her as a pup when the triplets were 3 months...yeah I was nuts.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets? The kids have limited access to the dogs, under supervision only. Not because we think there would be a problem but because it is better to be safe than sorry. Two of the cats keep out of reach usually, one loves attention...even when it gets a bit rough LOL.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    Yep, we have one dog that is a corgi/aussie mix.  We don't quite know how old she is but probably 10 years old.  We got her as a rescue when she was 2.  She was super high maintenance when she was younger but pretty low maintenance now.  We love her and C definitely does.  She clearly is started to enjoy him more now though that he can play with her.  She's quite tolerant of him too but we definitely require kindness out of him towards her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have no pets. We will probubly never have pets. DH is allergic to everything with hair, fur, feathers. He is even allergic to the mite the lives on the skin of animals like dogs. So the dogs that are supposed to be good for people with allergies as long as they have skin he is still allergic. We have talked about getting a nice fish tank at some point. My parents have a mini poodle, and DH can spend about 3 hours max there, and my mom cleans like crazy and washes all pillows, blankets etc all the time to manage it for DH to even spend that long. He is also allergic to smoke, dust, flowers, pollen, trees, etc. I am totally an outdoor girl though and so is DD. We just have to shower and change clothes if we spend a significant amount of time outside. 

• Options

We have two white German shepherds. They are kind of high maintenance. Soooo much hair. I vacuum about two times a day. And the older one is starting to have hip trouble. : ( BUT they are the sweetest dogs ever! They are sooo awesome with DD. 

I have had them a while. Even before DH and I got together.  

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a pet/pets?   <------- Yes, the long haired white cat in my avatar...the lovely Pandora.   At some point, I hope to get a Burnese Mountain Dog, but am waiting until we have a yard.

-Is your pet low/high maintanence?  She's pretty low-maintenance, though she does get groomed once a year and that's $$$.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born?  I've had her for 12 years, even before DH was in the picture.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets?   DS loves kitty, but the feelings are not mutual.  She's 15% psycho, so we have to monitor them very closely and assist DS in "petting gently."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Fun poll!

If so, what type of pet/pets do you have? We have two dogs, a 12 yo cairn terrier and a 4 yo weimaraner, and an 11 yo siamese-mix (snowshoe) cat.

Is your pet low/high maintanence? All moderate- to high-maintenance but in different ways.

Our cat and terrier are both lazy seniors but both have chronic health issues. Our cat has been dealing with chronic renal failure for almost four years, so he has had some diet modifications, daily medication and periodic testing to monitor the progression of the disease. For a time, he had to have IV fluids administered daily, but we've since gotten his disease stabilized, so we don't have to do that anymore. He didn't tolerate the IV well, so I am not looking forward to the day when his disease progresses and we have to resume the IVs. 

Our terrier has an autoimmune disorder in his eyes that has made him partially (mostly, I think) blind and makes him susceptible to infections and ulcers on his eyes. Right now he takes three different eye drops three times daily. He also has severe food and environmental allergies, so he is on benadryl daily and a limited ingredient diet, and he needs medicated baths on a regular basis. Because of his limited eyesight, he's not particularly good in crowds or strange places, so he doesn't get to go a lot of places with us, but he also doesn't need or want a huge amount of exercise at his age, so it's ok.

Our weim is my heart dog, but we joke that she's either the best dog in the world or the worst dog in the world depending on what day you ask us. LOL As is appropriate for her breed, she is the epitome of high energy and high intelligence. She has literally run eight miles in the morning and still been in the mood to roughhouse a few hours later. She is also incredibly smart and needs a lot of mental stimulation or she finds ways to get into trouble.

That's all normal, but unfortunately she's also had some issues with anxiety that we've been working with a behaviorist for about a year and a half to solve. She has severe separation anxiety and cannot be left home alone ever. So DH and I either have to take turns running errands or we have to take her to doggy daycare every time we go somewhere. As much as possible, we just take her with us. Luckily, our city has a lot of dog-friendly restaurants and other businesses, and she's impeccably trained. We're just now getting to the point where--with the help of medications and training--we can leave her for a few minutes without her panicking. I'm hoping soon we'll be able to leave her home for quick errands, but she'll probably never be able to be alone full time. She also has car anxiety--she used to yelp like she was being murdered for literally an entire 45 minute car ride--but we've mostly defeated that. Yay!

It's been a tremendous amount of work to get her as far a she's progressed, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. She's such a beautiful, loving, loyal creature. She really is the very best dog in the world. 

Did you get your pet before or after LO was born? All before. We've had our cat 7 years, our terrier 5 and our weim for almost 3.

How does LO interact with your pet/pets? He loves them so much, and it warms my heart to see him growing up learning kindness to animals. We started teaching him how to give "gentle pets" as soon as he was old enough to reach out and touch them, and it's nice to see all the lessons finally sinking in, as he is very gentle and respectful of them now. Some of his first words were "kitty," "Dixie" (our dog's name), "sit" and "good girl." He goes to almost all our vet visits and dog training classes (including a three hour training workshop we went to yesterday!), so he's learning from an early age what being a responsible pet owner means. I'm very proud of him. Big Smile

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have?  We have Carl, a Shiba mix.  He is about 6; not entirely sure of age since someone dumped him at our house.

-Is your pet low/high maintanence?  He's very low maintenance, aside from being an attention seeker.  Thankfully, his method of attention seeking is just following us around and staring.

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born?  We got him the year before we got married--about 4 yrs ago.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets?   He's very good with L.  He wasn't a huge fan when she was smaller, but he never offered to snap or growl.  He just relocated.  Now, he seems to like her.  She has mastered the art of gentle petting, and she feeds him bites from her plate Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    klinkyklinky member

* If so, what type of pet/pets do you have?  We have a 7yo male Beagle.   

-Is your pet low/high maintanence?  I'm going to say low.  He gets 1 20min walk/day but otherwise just sleeps the rest of the time

-Did you get your pet before or after LO was born?  No we got him as a puppy.  He was "the baby", noone thought we'd ever have children.

-How does LO interact with your pet/pets?   Ugh,  She LOVES him (and all dogs).  She runs to him first thing in the morning, follows him around all day constantly sitting on/beside/against him, bringing her toys & milk to him while he's sleeping.  It's sort of cute, but he really just wants to be left alone so I have to make sure that she's not bothering him too much.

• Options

We have a 3 year old male tabby cat named Xerxes.  We got him 16 months before DD was born.  He is a medium maintenance pet.  He does ok on his own, but he is very friendly and loves attention, and will demand attention if he thinks he deserves it.

DD adores him.  Her first word was Xerxes and her second word was kitty.  We worked really hard so that she would pet him gently, and overall she does pretty well.  Xerxes likes her too, even if he doesn't like to admit it.  His favorite place is her room, he has learned that he can get her to play with his favorite toy (though she can get too excited with it) and that he can get her to chase him.  He gets upset with her from time to time, and has occasionally scratched/bit her, but nothing serious (or undeserved.)

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Options

Sorry for jumping on this one a little late, I haven't had a chance to sit down with the laptop recently!

Do you have a pet/pets?

Yes,  a dog and a cat.

The dog is a labrador and the cat is a domestic shorthair.

The dog is more high maintenance (but not much), since we don't have a fenced in yard.  We have to either walk her or put her out on her tie out.  She does this weird thing where she usually won't go to the potty unless you throw her ball for her, so it's annoying to have to go out and throw her ball just to get her to pee.  The cat is very low maintenance.  

The cat we had before J was born, the dog we got after (last September).

Both animals are wonderful.  I'm pretty sure the cat is a saint.  She has never raised a paw to J and he used to pull her tail, ears, and fur until we finally got him to understand the word "gentle".  She hardly ever runs away from him and she will just lay there in her bed while he pets her.  

The dog is also pretty good, though she still gets really excited sometimes and I worry she is going to knock him over.  They love each other and follow each other around all day.  I think when he gets a little bigger, they will be partners in crime.

Rink, are you considering a pet or just curious?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"