Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Craziest RL stories about other moms

Okay, you know you've got a neighbor, a SIL, someone who has made just BIZARRE parenting decisions you believe are destined to screw their kids up for the rest of their lives. What are they?

For me?

I have a friend who has a 7yo boy, 6 yo girl and 5 yo boy. She has NEVER disciplined them for anything, and they don't know how to behave in public at all. She can't take them anyplace without scenes of epic proportions. This doesn't keep her from taking them to "kids stuff" because she believes the scenes and fits are appropriate there. This is a girl who had to replace all of her dishes with Tupperware because they would crawl into the cabinets and break them, and who had to cover the downstairs windows and the boys bedroom windows with plywood because they have broken them so often. But that's okay because "it's just screwed into the frames, and I can take it down in a couple years when they know better."

And she homeschools. I'm not sure whether that's better for the school or worse for the kids.

Re: Craziest RL stories about other moms

• Options
    I would spank those kids. No joke. Kids need to know where the boundaries are. She's doing her kids a huge disservice.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

I don't think the kids need to be spanked... she does!

Holy shitballs!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJoyousJulia:
    I would spank those kids. No joke. Kids need to know where the boundaries are. She's doing her kids a huge disservice.

Oh, can't spank. Until the oldest boy was 5, she was still working, and she flipped out when the DCP had to slap the little boy's hand repeatedly to get it out of another little girl's hair. (He had his fingers wrapped in and tugging on it like he was waterskiing or something.) He actually made the little girl's head bleed and the other parents ended up suing the day care. But that was when she quit work because she couldn't trust other people with her kids. I really think she just couldn't find daycare anymore and that was her cover story.

• Options

Lori,

Does she KNOW that she has a problem or does she think everything is honky dorey?

Do her kids have ADHD?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • Options

She has to know on some level, I think. But she SAYS that it's just a stage, and I'll understand when Joseph is older.

I say seven years is not a stage.

• Options

I know someone who doesn't punish either.  They discuss 9 year old's actions and they have been "discussing" his actions since he was 1. Can you imagine trying to reason with a 1 year old?  So of course, he is an obnoxious, unsocialized child.  They are really upset because he doesn't have any friends at school, no one wants to play with him on the playground, and they think he acts out because of it.  Um, no, try the other way around.  He doesn't have any friends and children don't like him because he's a brat.  I actually feel bad for him because I really truly feel like he is a sweet kid under his obnoxiousness.  He is a little delayed in things like speech so his parents have just done everything for him.  Now he knows he doesn't have to do it himself.

OH and PS he has NEVER slept in his bed by himself.  Ever.   He is still in the parent's bed.

• Options

Other than one of Dh's cousins having 5 kids under the age of 6 (NO multiples) when she refuses to work, he can't afford them, they freeload off of the grandparents...I mean she drops the kids off for babysitting with the grandmother (who works from home) so she can go shopping or to the movies or out with friends most days.  Once in awhile I could understand. 

But WOW on you friend...I think it's both better for the school AND worse for the kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"