Parenting
Options

Toddler wakes SCREAMING - is this normal?

So my DD has always had a bit of a rough time waking up from naps. Probably 4 times out of 5 she wakes crying but usually would stop after a few minutes, but lately, she's been waking up SCREAMING and can't calm down for 10 - 20 minutes.

She's also been waking in the night several times, and occasionally halfway through naps crying. Her whole body will be rigid and she'll kick her legs, but her eyes will be shut the whole time. Mostly as soon as we put our hand on her and shush, she goes back down, but not always.

I am at a loss. She had issues with GERD as an infant, and has some nasal drip (that never seems to go away), but the whole screaming thing is pretty new.

Re: Toddler wakes SCREAMING - is this normal?

• Options
    I have no idea but age 2 begins pretend and wonderment. She's probably have very active, very real dreams and having night terrors.  :(
  • Options

DS went through a phase when he was having some night terrors and was doing the same thing you're describing when waking from his naps. We just comforted him as best we could (most times at night he didn't even wake up- it freaked us out but most times he was still sleeping) and it passed. I almost forgot about it, actually.

We googled night terrors and found some info on it, and I think that's what we based how we reacted to him on.

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS used to wake up happy 90% of the time.  Now he wakes up screaming every time.  We just comfort him until he goes back to sleep.  He's also waking several times in the middle of the night.  I'm hoping it's just a phase and that he gets over it soon.

Sorry, no advice, just going through a similar thing here.

Gavin - 12.05.06 and Molly - 10.22.08
    imageimage
    my read shelf:
    Emily's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"