2nd Trimester

Quad screen came back "positive"

Basically, I have an elevated risk of down syndrome. She said 1/300 for my age/race etc. and Normally it would be 1/1200 for my age/race.

I will have further testing (level 4 I think she called it) U/S next week and will we go from there. 

I know there are a LOT of false positives. I also know this is my baby and I will love him/her no matter what with all my heart. But for some reason, I can't help being nervous/anxious/upset. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Quad screen came back "positive"

• I hope everything comes back normal. T&P!
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • I know it has to be hard but try to stay positive and relax as anxiety can only cause further problem. My husband and I made the decision to skip this testing as we knew that no matter the results our minds wouldn't change on having a baby or not. We felt that if the test came back with anything other than positive news it would cause me to be upset and have a lot of anxiety for the remainder of the pregnancy. I pray everything is okay with you and your baby but know that you have been given a blessing either way. When my mother-in law was pregnant with my husband, yes it was 22 years ago and technology has changed, he was expected to have down syndrome and spin-a-bifida. I'm happy to say he is a very active and healthy 22 year old with neither.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sure you have thought of this already, but just in case: there is a 99.67% probability that everything is fine with your baby. Those are great odds. Please don't be worried.
  • This test is very common to give false positives.  Our test came back with a 1 in 10 chance of downs.  We had the materni-tri or whatever is that new test that is much more accurate, and it came back as 99.1 % chance of no chromosomal disorders and our anatomy scan showed no soft markers for downs.  Try to take a deep breath and not be too worried.  The quad screen is just that...a screen.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone, your replies gave me some reassurance. And I realize our odds are still pretty good. I just wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for the ultrasound, but they feel that will be more accurate. Since we live in a rural area we are traveling 2 hours for the u/s. 

• T&Ps everything comes out fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you looked into the MaterniT21 test?  It give back a yes or no rather than odds.  That made me feel better than odds where it often comes back as false positive.  This is a rather new test so lots of insurance don't cover (ended up paying $300 out of pocket for mine) and some doctors don't know about it. 
  • Based on the u/s (which insurance does cover) we will consider the MaterniT21 test.

Thanks again for all the replies, I appreciate them so much. 

• 1/300 are pretty good odds. Try not to worry too much about it. I'm sure your u/s will be fine and you'll be another one of those false positives :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"