Multiples
Options

Type of twin question

Hi everyone! We found out we were having twins at 7w6d.  I didn't get to see my ob, only the ultrasound tech and the physicians assistant. Both said that the twins were fraternal (based on the fact that I was on clomid).  However, after reading a couple books on twins and even more on the Internet it seems like the ultrasound is showing mono/di twins, which I think would make them identical.  I don't know how to attach a picture of the ultrasound, but I will describe it.  Both babies are in the same gestational sac and they are in separate amniotic bubbles/sacs.  If someone can tell me how to attach a photo I will add a picture of the ultrasound.  I'm just concerned that two employees at my ob might have read my ultrasound wrong.  What do you all think?  What type of twins did you have and what did your ultrasound look like?  Thanks so much!

Re: Type of twin question

• Options

If you have the u/s picture saved to your computer, go to TinyPic.com and click "choose file" then select the u/s picture.  Drop down the "Resize" bar to Website/Email and click Upload Now.  You'll have to do a CAPTCHA, then copy the code in the box for IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards.  Then post that code here in your post.  

Let me see if I can blur the name off one of my early u/s to post for you. 

ETA: Here's one of mine from 6w4d.  Mine are fraternal di/di (did IVF, so I know there were two embryos all along):

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options

I'm trying to attach the photo.  Here it is (I hope)!

Thanks, MrsOJo! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, but they look Mono/Di to me.  Mine are Di/Di and my first u/s looked just like the PPs.
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Options
    imageWhitney915:

I'm trying to attach the photo.  Here it is (I hope)!

Thanks, MrsOJo! 

Yep those definitely look mono/di.  My 10 weeks u/s pic is in my profile, they were mono/di.  I would ask for another opinion ASAP as it's best to get it verified in the first trimester.  I think a practioner with any experience with twins will be able to tell you right away they are mono/di.  Good luck!

• Options
    imageMrsOjoButtons:

ETA: Here's one of mine from 6w4d.  Mine are fraternal di/di (did IVF, so I know there were two embryos all along):

Just FYI, while not likely, your di/di twins from IVF may still be ID. I transferred two embryos, and my di/di twins are ID (1 took and split, while the 2nd embryo didn't take).

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagefestivus:
    imageMrsOjoButtons:

Just FYI, while not likely, your di/di twins from IVF may still be ID. I transferred two embryos, and my di/di twins are ID (1 took and split, while the 2nd embryo didn't take).

I had so many ultrasounds between ET and 8w because of bleeding that the chances of that are nearly impossible.  

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options

I would definitely ask for another u/s to clarify bc those look like mo/di twins to me. My twins were di/di and there was no way to confuse it.

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options
    jcathjcath member
    Congratulations!  That certainly looks like it could be mono/di to me.  I would definitely ask for more clarification. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi! I had identical mono di twin girls 3 1/2 months ago! My ultrasound looked just like yours, but as someone else said they have to share a placenta. It took till 21 weeks for them to be certain the placenta was one instead of two fused together. Soo if the OB tells you their is one placenta then you have identical!!! COOL!!! It's really fun! HARD but fun!
  • Options
    That definitely looks like mo/di. Fusing of two placentas doesn't happen that early.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"