Working Moms
Options

Trying to promote/conceive at the same time?

I just started a career as a correctional officer. At first, it was just a job to get us by until dh finished his degree and I could go back to being a sahm, but it turns out I actually really enjoy my job. Strange, but I'm weird like that. Anyway, I eventually want to promote through the ranks, but I know in a couple years dh will want to have another child (as will I, probably). Obviously working in a prison pregnant would be an issue, but I could get around that by working low-risk positions in the front. But not if I'm trying to promote. I would need to be down in the trenches. I know this is a little ways off, but how do you ladies do it? Do you just put everything on hold until you're done having children or do you wing it and keep going? This has been on my mind for some time. I wasn't planning to actually enjoy working so this wasn't a question until now!
Anniversary
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Trying to promote/conceive at the same time?

• Options
    If you aren't planning on having another baby for a couple years, why wouldn't you continue to drive towards your career goals in the meantime? When and if you have another, figure it out then.
  • Options

imagedaisy662:
    If you aren't planning on having another baby for a couple years, why wouldn't you continue to drive towards your career goals in the meantime? When and if you have another, figure it out then.

This.  Go for it!  I'm in a similar position.  I'm a military officer and this year I'm working hard to ensure a promotion next year.  I won't try to conceive again until that promotion is secure. 

Well, I may be one and done, but my career does have a lot to do with my decision-making. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in a different career, but I don't mind if it takes me longer to be promoted.  I feel like I'll probably be working until I'm 65 so there are still 35 more years for me to be promoted.
  • Options
    I would go for it! You are not having kids right away so do everything you can to get yourself promoted :-) and then worry about it later when you actually get pregnant.
  • Options
    Honestly, I do not see what one has to do with another. One of the labs I worked in, the pregnant ladies had to be switched to a desk job so they weren't around chemicals anymore. There can be hazards in many different types of jobs for a pregnant woman, doesn't mean your employer doesn't accommodate that nor can they hold you back in your career. Sounds to me like you are the only one doing that at the moment :) the difference between a career and a job is simple, a career you look to the future and have goals of where you want to be while a job is just something to pay the bills. If you dismiss your career now, you will only regret it later
  • Options

I wouldn't put anything on hold - who knows how long it will take you to have a baby, how long it will take you to get promotoed, etc.

You just have to wing it as you go.  There's no right answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"