Food Allergy
Options

Flying with toddler with peanut allergy

I am flying with my husband and 23 month old son next month.  My son has a peanut allergy.

What precautions have you taken to ensure your child's flight is safe for his allergy?  I'm freaking out a little. 

Thanks.

Re: Flying with toddler with peanut allergy

• Options
    My LO doesn't have a nut allergy, but I would only use a carrier with a solid peanut allergy policy (someone else may be able to chime in on which ones are good), and I would definitely let them know about your allergy. Also I've heard it recommended to be on the first flight of the day, when the plane is cleanest. Bring benadryl and EpiPens - you can take these things through security, you just have to declare them to the TSA agent.
    Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options

we gave my son Benadryl before boarding. We also told the front desk that he has a peanut allergy and then told the flight attendants. They told the 2 rows in front of us and 2 rows in back to avoid eating any nuts (tell them he has a peanut and tree nut allergy).

even though they said it, we still saw a lady open a nut bar. We politely told her about his allergies and she was glad to put it away.

When we told the front desk about his allergies, they allowed me to board first and i just wiped down our entire area with Lysol wipes. I looked like a freak!

We landed and he had a slight rash on his body (circulated air). Just make sure you have your Benadryl and epipen with you. 

We also gave him another dosage of Benadryl at night before bed.

How long is the flight?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We've flown a couple of times with our twins who both have peanut (and tree nut and chickpea and sesame) allergies. We always call a day or two before and make sure it's noted in our file that our kids are allergic (I think that means they do an extra sweep of the plane before they let our flight board). We typically fly Southwest, and they give us an early boarding card and a "peanut dust" card to use to notify the flight attendants as we board. The early boarding allows us to find a seat and wipe it down before everyone else boards. Then they announce it over the loudspeaker (asking everyone to keep nuts put away for the duration of the flight) and they don't serve peanuts on that flight (usually pretzels instead).

Of course the epi pens and benadryl stay close at hand. We pre-dosed them with benadryl once (because they needed it for something else anyway), but don't do it regularly. We do try to take flights early in the day, though.

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

Thanks for the advice.  Going to call Delta today and hope for the best.

The flight is 2 hours 20 min.  I will be freaking out the entire time.

• Options
    imagetallica55:

Thanks for the advice.  Going to call Delta today and hope for the best.

The flight is 2 hours 20 min.  I will be freaking out the entire time.

2.5 hours is really not that bad. Give some benadryl and wipe down the area and inform the crew and you will be just fine.  We avoid taking long flights b/c it gets harder.. but we are totally good with under 3.  

enjoy your vacation and just be prepared. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"