1st Trimester
Options

i'm pregnant!when to tell? how to stop worrying

i just found out i'm pregnant w/our first after only TTC for 2 months! i was in shock! i never expected it to happen so soon, (as 2 friends of mine have been trying for 8 months and the other a year and still have not had any luck.) i'm so excited and overwhelmed.

i feel so lucky that it was so easy for us. but i was wondering when you told your family. i want to tell everyone :) but i thought maybe we should wait til we are a bit further along. I'm not really superstitious, but I'm afraid to tell and then have something happen and have to tell everyone the bad news. i worry about miscarriages, i hear they are more common in first pregnancies. i know many first time moms probably worry, any tips on how to stop worrying from other mom's out there who had trouble with it too? 

i'm only 6 wks and i am still not feeling any symptoms yet. when did you start 'feeling' pregnant. i know i'm gonna regret wishing for it once i feel it haha but i almost want to feel it to verify that i'm pregnant. i still can't believe it! :)

Re: i'm pregnant!when to tell? how to stop worrying

• Options
    feeling pregnant doesn't mean nothing has happened and not feeling pregnant doesn't mean everything isn't going perfectly smooth. so, i wouldn't worry about it. just be happy for now it doesn't feel like someone is trying to rip off your boobs and you don't want to puke all over yourself. Smile
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
  • Options

First of all - congrats!  It sounds like you have a million thoughts going through your mind - this is totally normal.

As for when/who to tell - this is 100% a personal decision.  Some will say that they tell everyone because they would tell those same people if they had a miscarriage.  I think this depends on how close you are with your family/friends and how they react to difficult situations.  For us, we waited until 11 weeks to tell with our first pregnancy.  We then discovered we had a missed m/c a week later.  My family and friends became distant, and I had an overwhelming sense of 'letting people down'.  It was difficult and I wished we hadn't told.  Others are 100% happy they told if something went wrong and got the support they needed.

As for worry - you have to make a choice to control it.  It's in your head, and the more you focus on what could go wrong - the crazier you'll make yourself.  You have to remember that worrying doesn't help at all, it can actually make you more stressed out and be bad for your baby.  Tell yourself "today I am pregnant and I love my baby".  This helped for me.  You really just have to take it day by day.

Symptoms come and go, or never start.  For my pregnancy with DD I had terrible m/s.  This pregnancy, nothing.  Its different for each pregnancy.

Good luck and congrats :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageshortlilartist:

i just found out i'm pregnant w/our first after only TTC for 2 months! i was in shock! i never expected it to happen so soon, (as 2 friends of mine have been trying for 8 months and the other a year and still have not had any luck.) i'm so excited and overwhelmed.

i feel so lucky that it was so easy for us. but i was wondering when you told your family. i want to tell everyone :) but i thought maybe we should wait til we are a bit further along. I'm not really superstitious, but I'm afraid to tell and then have something happen and have to tell everyone the bad news. i worry about miscarriages, i hear they are more common in first pregnancies. i know many first time moms probably worry, any tips on how to stop worrying from other mom's out there who had trouble with it too? 

i'm only 6 wks and i am still not feeling any symptoms yet. when did you start 'feeling' pregnant. i know i'm gonna regret wishing for it once i feel it haha but i almost want to feel it to verify that i'm pregnant. i still can't believe it! :)

I don't feel super pregnant, I might not notice some of my symptoms had  I not been pregnant in the past, but I am, and hormones and u/s look great.  Last time I was pregnant, I felt PREGNANT, horrible morning sickness amongst other things.  Little did I know, the baby died weeks before, yet my body was carrying on like a normal pregnancy.

Telling is a personal decision, it depends on many things.  I personally, am not keeping it a secret from anyone but my work.  

• Options
    imagemissesru:

First of all - congrats!  It sounds like you have a million thoughts going through your mind - this is totally normal.

As for when/who to tell - this is 100% a personal decision.  Some will say that they tell everyone because they would tell those same people if they had a miscarriage.  I think this depends on how close you are with your family/friends and how they react to difficult situations.  For us, we waited until 11 weeks to tell with our first pregnancy.  We then discovered we had a missed m/c a week later.  My family and friends became distant, and I had an overwhelming sense of 'letting people down'.  It was difficult and I wished we hadn't told.  Others are 100% happy they told if something went wrong and got the support they needed.

As for worry - you have to make a choice to control it.  It's in your head, and the more you focus on what could go wrong - the crazier you'll make yourself.  You have to remember that worrying doesn't help at all, it can actually make you more stressed out and be bad for your baby.  Tell yourself "today I am pregnant and I love my baby".  This helped for me.  You really just have to take it day by day.

Symptoms come and go, or never start.  For my pregnancy with DD I had terrible m/s.  This pregnancy, nothing.  Its different for each pregnancy.

Good luck and congrats :) 

I second all of this; all of these things are completely your decision. In my experience, however, my friends and family were a huge source of support to me during both of my miscarriages and so I have never regretted telling them.

And congratulations on your pregnancy! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Tell when you feel it's right for you.

We always tell immediate family because if anything is wrong, we would tell them then for support, so they might as well get to pull for us in the meantime.

Get used to the worry, there isn't much you can do about it, and once you're no longer pregnant and the baby is out, you will worry about the baby instead.

I didn't have almost any symptoms with any of my pregnancies until I hit about 6-7 weeks.  At first, I got a bit of acne around my hairline, then this time I also had a lot of acne on my face.  Between 6-7 weeks my breasts started to hurt, and around 8 weeks my stomach wasn't right, but I never threw up.  I have had gas all along as well.

Good luck, congratulations!

Oh, and once I hit about 10.5 weeks, most of my symptoms went away, so at this point if it wasn't for a bit of residual acne, gas, and a growing belly, I can hardly say that I "feel" pregnant.  I think I will truly "feel" pregnant with consistency once I can feel the baby move.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats!!! I totally know how you feel.  I don't really feel pregnant because the few symptoms I do have are so minor.  I know I shouldn't wish for m/s or anything like that..but sometime I think something has happened.  

We told our parents and Grandparents after we had a confirmed blood test from the doctor, but I am not telling other people or posting it on facebook until we are through our first trimester. I might even wait until we know what we are having. Good luck with a happy and healthy pregnancy!! 

• Options
    Congrats!  And you aren't being superstituous....It is true you are more likely to miscarry in the first trimester...That is why we are waiting to tell people then..:)  It's totally your call, though..My first pregnancy, we lived right next door to family, and I was impossible to hide it..They literally came in my house with us being gone and saw prenatal vitamins all over out table...This time atound we live several hours away, so it's easier to hide...I did, however let my Mom know because I was feeling overwelmed being pregnant again with a 10 month old already...I was a little freaked out..LOL..You don't want to think about it because it's so sad, but I have friends who announce their pregnancy to the facebook world very early on, and then have to tell everyone how their heart is broken because they lost the baby...But sometimes family knowing would be nice..:) 
  • Options
    Wait till you are 15 wks, enjoy this time with your hubster. I lost my baby at 8 weeks and I'm so glad my entire family didn't know, only a handful of people knew I miscarried. 
  • Options
    With my first I didn't "feel" pregnant until I started showing around 20 weeks.  Always felt fine.  We told our family right away, good friends around 8 weeks, and everyone else after 1st tri.  This time around way more people know, but only because I freaking look how I looked at 20 weeks last time.  I don't "feel" pregnant at all again - in fact, sometimes I forget about it with a toddler running around. 
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    Tell when you're ready. As a mom, you will never stop worrying. Get used to it ;)
  • Options

I told my family at about 6 weeks. That was about the time I started feeling nauseous all day long, and hating food and hating smells as well. LOL I'm 10 weeks now and they're dying off. If you never get symptoms, you're lucky! If you do get them, they can kick in at any time.

Good luck! And hope you have a happy, healthy 9 months!

• Options

i am in the same boat.  This is was our 2nd month of trying and we got our bfp this am.  I want to tell he world but know i shouldn't yet.  We are going to tell my mom on tue when we see her before we go on vacation.  We are going away for a wedding with a bunch of friends and other people. They pretty much are going to figure it out when im not drinking for a week.  I mean Im excited for them to know but it is definitly sooner then I wanted friends and others to know. My father and in laws won't even know until we come back.  I really do not want them to know so soon but there is nothing I can do. I worry about the same thing even though my dh says not to but mc is always a possibility.  So all i can do is cross my fingers and hope the baby sticks. 

The only "symptom" I can said that I had so far was my eye twitching.  My eye twitched for 8 days in a row.  I thought it was stress but maybe my hormones.  I did have some very mild cramps.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I had to tell my employer at 5 weeks because it affected what I could & couldn't do. Told family the same week as well, because, even if we had a miscarriage... we'd be comfortable telling those people.

I had sore boobs, constipation, & groin pain before I even got my BFP @ 6weeks. The sore boobs lasted for weeks and weeks. I never had morning sickness, just a few days of nausea. The constipation also lasted quite a while. Other than that, I didn't experience much discomfort until 3rd tri.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options

We told our parents right after we took the test. We told our siblings like two weeks after that. We just told the rest of our family and friends the other day after my 12 week check up. =] 

It depends when you're ready to tell everyone. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"