Baby Names

Why does everyone hate Jayden?

I'll admit it isn't my favorite name in the world, but it certainly isn't terrible & yet I've heard so many people bash it here on TB. And it can't just be a popularity thing, b/c there are way more popular names that people still love. I'm just curious...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Why does everyone hate Jayden?

• isn't it one of Britney Spears kids? (that's enough to ruin it for me, although I try not to bash names on here)

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemummalove:
     isn't it one of Britney Spears kids? (that's enough to ruin it for me, although I try not to bash names on here) 

Apparently, yes - I had no idea & had to google it. Still, that was 7yrs ago - you'd think people would've gotten over it by now...

• Loading the player...
  • 1. It's overdone

2. it sounds juveinille

3. It has no history beyond Brittany Spears.

4. It's unisex and is neither masculine nor feminine 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • From behindthename.com:

JADEN 
    PRONOUNCED: JAY-d?n   [key]
    Meaning & History
    An invented name, using the popular aden suffix sound found in such names as Braden, Hayden and Aidan. This name first became common in American in the 1990s when similar-sounding names were increasing in popularity. It is sometimes considered a variant of JADON.

Basically, it's invented and is part of a bad trend (nto just with the -aden suffix) of inventing names that sound like other names.  At best it is a mispelling of a rare Biblical name.  And the original spelling would be Jaden, so Jayden is yet another name mistake.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • well, for some, they don't like the sound of it.

others don't care for the particular spelling you provided in your title (the "y" is unnecessary).

and others are tired of, or never cared for, the "aden" trend.

• I don't think it has to do with Britney Spears. I had forgotten that she had one. I think it's because it's a part of the massive rhymes-with-Aidan trend that is in itself a subset of boys-names-ending with-schwa-plus-N trend that is completely dominating boys names right now. It's made-up, but people who use it think it's a real, legitimate name, and indeed by virtue of them using it it's becoming reified into a "real name," and that's troubling for those of us who value the history and tradition behind what we consider "real names." It's one of the most popular names in the country, so it's a more appropriate target of disdain than names that are horrible but rarely used. 

To me, though, it's just one of many unfortunate names out there...

• I don't think people hated it initially, but with all the aden, ayden, aiden names... people are just sick of hearing them. I think it's a perfectly fine name but it's just all over the place so I'm over it. It's kind of went the Teen Mom route too.

• It's horribly trendy.
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• It is so popular and over used. SO many people have done the Aiden/Jayden/Brayden thing. I am over it.
  • Andplusalso, it seems like whenever I hear of one (or the other rhyming names) IRL, it's followed by "yeah, we wanted something different!"  Um, no it's not different or uncommon anymore.  Maybe I'm just a super name nerd but I don't understand how people can be so ignorant about the popularity of a name.  I hear this with other names too. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • scorchscorch member
    Because there is nothing to like about the name.  Brittany Spears is just the tip of the iceberg .
  • It is a silly,feminine sounding made up name that is horribly trendy and I can't in any way imagine a grown man having to introduce himself and try to be respected and taken seriously with that name. 
  • Trendy, sounds made-up, reminds me of the word "jaded", sounds like something a teenager would choose...sorry, I'm being a little harsh, but I have a strong dislike for this name.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is cute for Will and Jada Smith, otherwise I think it is lame.  But I'm not a fan of the over popular Jason trend in the 70s-80s either.

Also I adore Aidan and lament it's demise which I feel is partially blamed on names like Jayden.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I think I just don't like the sound of it.  And the popularity.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imageaustenreader85:

Andplusalso, it seems like whenever I hear of one (or the other rhyming names) IRL, it's followed by "yeah, we wanted something different!"  Um, no it's not different or uncommon anymore.  Maybe I'm just a super name nerd but I don't understand how people can be so ignorant about the popularity of a name.  I hear this with other names too. 

I completely agree with this.  I had a friend name her boy Kaden and she thought it was so different and cool- like she and her DH had come up with some special name that thousands of other people hadn't with the whole -aiden/ayden craze.  Maybe I'm just too into names, but I don't see how people are so ignorant of the popularity and trendiness of names.  If you're into that, fine, but Jayden is so trailer park to me.  Doesn't age well at all.

• imageDawnJM25:
    imageaustenreader85:

Andplusalso, it seems like whenever I hear of one (or the other rhyming names) IRL, it's followed by "yeah, we wanted something different!"  Um, no it's not different or uncommon anymore.  Maybe I'm just a super name nerd but I don't understand how people can be so ignorant about the popularity of a name.  I hear this with other names too. 

I completely agree with this.  I had a friend name her boy Kaden and she thought it was so different and cool- like she and her DH had come up with some special name that thousands of other people hadn't with the whole -aiden/ayden craze.  Maybe I'm just too into names, but I don't see how people are so ignorant of the popularity and trendiness of names.  If you're into that, fine, but Jayden is so trailer park to me.  Doesn't age well at all.

oh crap! I had just put Caden on my list and somehow completely missed the realization that it fits in with the "aiden" trend. (I know it's obvious) But at the time I was just so excited to 1. find a name I had never heard 2. has celtic origin 3. ends in "n"  But now, it's off the list!! back to the drawing board.... 

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • TBH...I don't really mind Jayden. I have a cousin named Jayden and now that he's grown he just goes by Jay.

It's not for me, but I don't despise it as much as  the other trendy names.

The thing that kills Jayden for me is that there's 34634643 different ways to spell it, as a teacher I know about 563563 of them. I don't mind popular at all, but its definite overkill.

• imageaustenreader85:

Yes! I feel the same way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • Ditto what everyone else said. Also wanted to it feels very time stamped. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well, it does have a history beyond Brittany Spears (lol), but it's too trendy and time-stamped (as someone else said) for my liking. I don't hate it-- a friend of mine used it on her son who is now 5 years old, and she spelled it Jadon-- but I wouldn't personally use it.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• It's not a bad name in and of itself. For me the issue is the popularity, spelling variation and Aiden...Brayden...Kayden, etc. trend. But I agree with you, it's no more popular than Sophia, Olivia, etc that everyone on here seems to adore!

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• It was cute the first 15 times I heard it... and most people act like they're so unique for spelling it Jayden, Jaiden, Jaydon, etc.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • tlongtlong member
    I agree with a lot of previous posters. I think it's the entire -aiden group that has a bad wrap...Jayden, Ayden, Brayden, Kayden, Hayden, etc. I am personally just over the entire -aiden family of names. They all sound the same. I don't want my kid being a Jayden and going to school with 2 Aydens, a Brayden, and a Kayden....ya, know?
    Little Dude - Connor Michael 6/8/09
    Angel Face - Mya Brynn 12/9/11
    imageimage
  • I really dislike any of those names that end in the "Ayden" sounds.  Jayden, Aiden, Braeden, Kayden, Hayden...they're all lame and overused.  So trendy and annoying!
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"