3rd Trimester
Options

How long do I have to get an epidural?

At my 36 week check up my Dr told me I was dilated 3cm, 80%effaced and she was at 0 station. She says I won't make it to my due date, probably not thru the end of next wk. I'm worried I won't make it to the hospital in time for an epidural as it is my first pregnancy and I don't really know what a contraction will be like. I know I will need a bag of fluids before I get the epidural but being so close already how long do I have before they won't be able to give it to me?

Re: How long do I have to get an epidural?

• Options
    You'll know when the contractions hit. I was in the hospital this morning and my nurse was watching my contractions, and she said, you just had yourself a couple of real, full on contractions, not just the braxton hicks. Even though you're already dilated you're probably looking at 10 hours of labor, most likely. The first baby is the toughest and longest, USUALLY. Good luck and congratulations. After an hour or two of real deal contractions, if you time them and they're getting stronger and more regular, go ahead and go to the hospital. You should be there in time.
  • Options
    KarmBKarmB member

this is what the ana doc told me, they dont do it past 7cms because it takes 45 minutes to work.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKarmB:

this is what the ana doc told me, they dont do it past 7cms because it takes 45 minutes to work.

This. Also, First stage labor (which is not only hard contractions) is 15-17 hours according to Dr. Bradley. It is everything from those first few contractions (what he calls the "Putsy-Putsy" stage) to reaching true labor with regular, timetable contractions. Unless you have a very fast labor, you should have time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

With my first I was at a 4 and 90% at my last dr.'s appt. and then when I arrived at the hospital to deliver I was at a 5.  I wasn't in pain, but knew I wanted the epidural and my nurse suggested when I was at 7 to go ahead and get it. I had a 14 hour labor.  

• Options
    My doc said to allow 1 hr for the fluids to get into you, then they will do the epi.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Totally depends on the hospital.  I got one at 8 with DD, and nothing was said about needing a bag of fluids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageBakerMommy:
    Totally depends on the hospital.  I got one at 8 with DD, and nothing was said about needing a bag of fluids.

I agree with this poster. I've had an epidural with all three of my kids, each at different stages with nothing said about a bag of fluids before. I was at a 7 when I got it last time, and the relief was instant for me, it didn't take anything close to 45 minutes for me :)  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was 7 cm with DD when I finally got the epi and didn't even begin to start pushing until 4 hrs after receiving it. 
  • Options
    I was 8 cm when I got it with my first and the relief was instant. With my second I was only 4 cm, got it and he arrived three minutes later. Epi barely had time to work.
    m/c 3/07-7 weeks, m/c 5/07-9 weeks, ds 09/08, ds 05/10, m/c 10/11-9 weeks BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was 9cm when I got my epi. I arrived at the hospital and was 7cm and was soo worried I wasn't going to be able to get one. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I'm just going to warn you that how far you are dilated does not have a correlation to when you'll go into labor. My best friend was dilated to a 5 for 2.5 weeks with her second baby and eventually had to be induced. You might go sometime this week or next week... you might go over due. Just be prepared. It can be really frustrating if you have your heart set on having the baby early and it takes forever. I don't understand why doctors do this! They KNOW these things, why do they insist on making predictions that only get a pregnant lady's hopes up? Keep it to yourself doc! 
  • Options
    I was dialted 2cm at 36w, and went into labor at 38w- I was 7cm the first time they even checked me (very fast first time labor- so it can happen- she was out 6 hours from the first contractions that I felt), the nurse told me I could ask for an epi at any point and if it was possible they'd give it to me- but it went so fast I never got one. I hope to do the same this time- we'll see how it goes LOL
  • Options

At 36 weeks I was 3 cm and 70%....

I didn't go into labor until 39w5d.  I got to the hospital at 5cm and got the epi at 6-7cm

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

You'll have to talk to the person doing the anesthesia (either an anesthesiologist or CRNA) about your options. Most of them do a combination epi now that works instantly and can be controlled/backed off when you push if necessary. They have tons of different ways they can administer anesthesia depending on the case. CRNAs and anesthesiologists work in their own group practices and are usually in no way affiliated with the hospital or your doctor. They have their own guidelines, licenses, and ways of doing things separate from the dr or hospital.

I had a c-section, which required an epi, and my epi was instant numbness from the waist down. It isn't true that it takes 45 min for any epi to work. Anesthesia in an emergency surgery situation has to be instant, so there are options for you even in non-emergencies if you need instant relief.

• Options
    Thank you to everyone for ur responses, they were all very helpful! 
  • Options
    I was 9cm when I walked into the hospital and got mine within 10 minutes....It all depends on your hospital/Dr I guess
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thank you to everyone for ur responses, they were all very helpful!

20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0051VVOB2" border="0" />

• Options
    I got my epidural at 10 cm. My anesthesiologist said to me, "you're 10 cm, do you want to just push, or hold off a bit for the epidural?" I chose to get the epi. However, I had already been on fluids for hours (for other reasons). It only took 10-15 minutes to kick in. I started "practice" pushing right away and by the time DS was actually emerging, it was pain free and the epidural was working.
  • Options
    I love your Brit pic. So jealous.
  • Options

The truth is that this will depend on a number of factors. First, it depends on availability. If the anesthesiologist is busy in a c-section when you decide you're ready you might have to wait. If you already have fluids running because your doc ordered them then the bag of fluid issue may or may not be an issue. I have met anesthesiologists who will agree to do an epi on a woman who is fully dilated. Literally I was in a delivery where it was in just in time for her to push. Other docs won't do it after a certain point in labor.

Bottom line: try not to stress!! Just go to L&D when you think it's go time based on what your doctor tells you. Tell the nurses first thing that you want an epi so that they put you in the line of patients to get one and get all the stuff done that they know the anesthesiologist will want. Anything beyond that is out of your control so just do your best to go with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"